PDA

View Full Version : OS X Mavericks Support?

sameerwahid
06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Has anyone updated to the new OS X Mavericks? I'm keen to hear if/how Displaylink devices work under the new OS.

jkirker
06-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Has anyone updated to the new OS X Mavericks? I'm keen to hear if/how Displaylink devices work under the new OS.

I'm about to try it but I've been waiting to see if anyone else had the stones to live on the bleeding edge.

Perhaps they did and they can't get in to see the forums and post. ;)

sameerwahid
06-12-2013, 01:12 AM
I connected my DL-195 adapter to my 2010 MBP running Mavericks, and get a great image (I'm typing this post on the DL-connected monitor, a 22" 1680x1050 LCD). Rotation works correctly. Still no colour calibration (no surprise there).

All the menubar/fullscreen stuff looks just like it did in the keynote, so far as I can tell. Very happy right now!

Odd note - Mavericks shows the DL-195 as having a refresh rate 59.9 Hz. Changing that to 60 Hz gave a broken image, which was only fixed by unplugging/replugging the USB cable and waiting about 20 seconds.

Also, the external monitor appears to be more sluggish than before. Moving around windows is choppier than usual, makes the CPU fan spin up, and the WindowServer process starts to chew up 100% CPU. I will note that I was running OS X Mavericks from an external FW400 drive (in case things didn't work) so that might be part of the problem.

jkirker
06-12-2013, 03:21 AM
I run 2 external 20" monitors using DisplayLink adapters. I can only get one of the two adapters working.

They are the same model number and share similar serials. Perhaps one has a newer firmware. I'm not sure.

Is there a way to get the firmware version number from each device?'

BTW - the system recognizes both devices - I just get a blank screen from one.

The device which does not function properly behaves the same whether or not it is the only device attached or both are attached.

sameerwahid
06-12-2013, 03:26 AM
I run 2 external 20" monitors using DisplayLink adapters. I can only get one of the two adapters working.

They are the same model number and share similar serials. Perhaps one has a newer firmware. I'm not sure.

Is there a way to get the firmware version number from each device?'

BTW - the system recognizes both devices - I just get a blank screen from one.

The device which does not function properly behaves the same whether or not it is the only device attached or both are attached.

Silly question, but did you try switching USB ports?
Sometimes, even on 10.8, I could not get my adapter to work when plugged into the 'back' usb port on my MBP, only the one closest to me works.

Carlo
06-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi,

I'm using it now. There are a few issues but with one screen it's OK. Multiple screens management is surely better with this OS.
You'll be pleased to know that we are right now at WWDC discussing Marvericks with the Apple engineers.
I would expect the usual mix of OS bugs and some changes needed on our side. As usual your input will be extremely important: let us know of any issues!

Cheers,
Carlo

jkirker
06-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Silly question, but did you try switching USB ports?
Sometimes, even on 10.8, I could not get my adapter to work when plugged into the 'back' usb port on my MBP, only the one closest to me works.

Yea, I unfortunately tried every variation possible. Switched USB ports, VGA/DVI cables, switched monitors, usb cables, etc. all to the same end. The one device works, the other doesn't want to play. ;(

The non working device lights up, is recognized by the system, can identify the monitor type, etc. but the screen is black.

Perhaps only driving 2 screens will be better for my productivity temporarily. Now if I could only stop wasting so much time on Facebook! ;)

I'd love to get this resolved though.

hafudo
07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Yea, I unfortunately tried every variation possible. Switched USB ports, VGA/DVI cables, switched monitors, usb cables, etc. all to the same end. The one device works, the other doesn't want to play. ;(

The non working device lights up, is recognized by the system, can identify the monitor type, etc. but the screen is black.

Perhaps only driving 2 screens will be better for my productivity temporarily. Now if I could only stop wasting so much time on Facebook! ;)

I'd love to get this resolved though.

waiting for the same problem solved buddy.. :D

Wim
07-04-2013, 02:26 PM
We're aiming to release a beta of v2.1 around the end of July which will have some fixes for 10.8 and early support for 10.9 Mavericks.

Wim

Ludacrisvp
07-25-2013, 02:33 PM
We're aiming to release a beta of v2.1 around the end of July which will have some fixes for 10.8 and early support for 10.9 Mavericks.

Wim

Hello,

Just curious if there was an update on the ETA for the support of 10.9.
It seems that in my setup the 2 (DL-195) adapters are seen and both connected displays are detected by the OS but only one display gets an image, the other just goes to sleep. There doesn't seem to be a way to pick which one works and which doesn't.

System Version: OS X 10.9 (13A524d)

DL-195 Adapter:

Product ID: 0x028f
Vendor ID: 0x17e9 (DisplayLink (UK) Ltd.)
Version: 1.24
Serial Number: 108763
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: DisplayLink
Location ID: 0x1a140000 / 3
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

DL-195 Adapter:

Product ID: 0x028f
Vendor ID: 0x17e9 (DisplayLink (UK) Ltd.)
Version: 1.24
Serial Number: 109393
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: DisplayLink
Location ID: 0x1d120000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

$ ioreg -l |grep -A18 DL-195
| | | +-o DL-195 Adapter@1a140000 <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x1000001de, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (93 ms), retain 13>
| | | | | {
| | | | | "sessionID" = 2005743724
| | | | | "iManufacturer" = 1
| | | | | "bNumConfigurations" = 1
| | | | | "idProduct" = 655
| | | | | "bcdDevice" = 292
| | | | | "Bus Power Available" = 250
| | | | | "bMaxPacketSize0" = 64
| | | | | "USB Product Name" = "DL-195 Adapter"
| | | | | "iProduct" = 2
| | | | | "iSerialNumber" = 3
| | | | | "USB Address" = 3
| | | | | "bDeviceClass" = 0
| | | | | "bDeviceSubClass" = 0
| | | | | "locationID" = 437518336
| | | | | "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"
| | | | | "PortNum" = 4
| | | | | "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}
| | | | | "bDeviceProtocol" = 0
| | | | | "USB Vendor Name" = "DisplayLink"
| | | | | "Device Speed" = 2
| | | | | "idVendor" = 6121
| | | | | "USB Serial Number" = "108763"
| | | | | "Requested Power" = 250
| | | | | "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
| | | | | "Low Power Displayed" = No
| | | | | }
--
| | | +-o DL-195 Adapter@1d120000 <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x10000395c, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (325 ms), retain 13>
| | | | {
| | | | "sessionID" = 91795823008025
| | | | "iManufacturer" = 1
| | | | "bNumConfigurations" = 1
| | | | "idProduct" = 655
| | | | "bcdDevice" = 292
| | | | "Bus Power Available" = 250
| | | | "bMaxPacketSize0" = 64
| | | | "USB Product Name" = "DL-195 Adapter"
| | | | "iProduct" = 2
| | | | "iSerialNumber" = 3
| | | | "USB Address" = 4
| | | | "bDeviceClass" = 0
| | | | "bDeviceSubClass" = 0
| | | | "locationID" = 487718912
| | | | "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"
| | | | "PortNum" = 2
| | | | "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}
| | | | "bDeviceProtocol" = 0
| | | | "USB Vendor Name" = "DisplayLink"
| | | | "Device Speed" = 2
| | | | "idVendor" = 6121
| | | | "USB Serial Number" = "109393"
| | | | "Requested Power" = 250
| | | | "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
| | | | "Low Power Displayed" = No
| | | | }

Everett
07-27-2013, 12:59 AM
+1 for any updates on 2.1 beta. very interested in any status updates.

Wim

Wim
07-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi Guys

Yep - We still want to get the beta for Mavericks out, but we now need to sign our kernel extension. We have submitted for this but it's been delayed by the fact the developer site has been down for the past week. It's now back up, but we're still waiting for a signed kernel extension.

Once we get this from Apple, we can add to the release and make it available for you guys.

Thanks

Wim

Ludacrisvp
07-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Hi Guys

Yep - We still want to get the beta for Mavericks out, but we now need to sign our kernel extension. We have submitted for this but it's been delayed by the fact the developer site has been down for the past week. It's now back up, but we're still waiting for a signed kernel extension.

Once we get this from Apple, we can add to the release and make it available for you guys.

Thanks

Wim

Thanks for the update.
I've been running with reduced capability for about the last week testing out Mavericks, while the machine was awake (displays off) over the weekend I noted that the display adapter went non-functional requiring a reboot to recover from. Today after working for a while (couple hours) it decided to just 'freeze' the display. I wasn't actively using it when it froze so not sure how long it was frozen for but it sure heated up the display link adapter quite a bit.
It is a DL-195 (HIS Multi-View II DVI and VGA compatible) for what its worth.
http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-518.shtml#specification

MickM
08-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm also waiting for this one - hoping for any day now. I have several issues with DisplayLink running under Mavericks

mentalengine
08-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Hoping this will be pushed soon. Windows gets all the love, would be nice to see an update schedule on par for the Mac

Wim
08-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Hoping this will be pushed soon. Windows gets all the love, would be nice to see an update schedule on par for the Mac

We are giving Mac the love and want our support of Mac to be an "equal citizen" of Windows. However we are still waiting for certificates from Apple. It has been escalated and "it is being looked into".

We don't really want to make a release without the kext signed as it will be required for 10.9, and we will have to do another beta release shortly after when we have the signatures.

Thanks

Wim

sameerwahid
08-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi Wim (and Carlo),

Thanks for the updates on the Mac driver situation!

Just to provide my feedback, I've had no problems in the past two months using my BVU-195 connected to a 1680x1050 display (rotated 90°). Motion on the display remains choppier than it did under 10.8, but I use it for reading so it doesn't bother me one bit.

Sadly, I don't have any tips or tricks for those with issues under 10.9 :-(, as everything "just worked" for me.

Cheers,
Sameer

jkirker
08-13-2013, 05:04 PM
If it's a Beta release who cares if it's signed. Any developer knows how to bypass the unsigned and since we are getting it directly from the source we know it's trustable.

When you release the final version though I'd suggest signing it - but if you have something that we can test now, just put it up. We'll understand if we have to bypass the security.

Everett
08-13-2013, 06:59 PM
If it's a Beta release who cares if it's signed. Any developer knows how to bypass the unsigned and since we are getting it directly from the source we know it's trustable.

Agreed. I have several customers eagerly awaiting this, at least 3-4 of them are savvy enough to totally understand signing issues if we can at least post a "alpha" download link to the forums it would be most helpful, even if it's not posted to the the "regular" drivers page.

Thanks in advance for considering...

MickM
08-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Not sure if it'll do any good, but I'm also in favor of an alpha release. Given how long it's taking Apple to fix all the 10.9 bugs I figured you'd be interested in us maximizing the amount of testing and the giving Apple the maximum amount of time to fix things before they cut bait and just release 10.9 to meet their deadlines. Seriously, I'd reckon you have more to gain than lose by letting Mavericks beta-testers try to improve your product...

mentalengine
08-21-2013, 10:02 PM
It's 5 days shy of a month since Apple developer sites were brought back up, and still no signed driver. I know Apple is a slow machine, being an app developer, I also know it doesn't take a month to get a signed kext. There has to be way more to this.

At this point the release version of Mavericks will be out before any update to the drivers. The release history for Windows shows releases happen on a frequency of almost 4 to 1 over Mac, hardly something that one can blame solely on Apple or its delays. This seems more of a resource issue than anything.

volsk
08-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Yes, an alpha release would be very welcome.

MickM
08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
if {
you felt the Mavericks driver was robust enough to submit to Apple;
and
they're taking forever to sign it;
and
by the time they sign do it there will almost certainly be insufficient time to implement fixes we find before they release 10.9
}
then
why on Earth would you not release the driver to the 10.9 beta-testers sooner than later!!??

Despite the above logic, I also filed another 10.9 bug report with Apple about this and implored them to hurry up and evaluate that DisplayLink driver.

Sheesh...

Ludacrisvp
08-26-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm starting to think that the beta for Mavericks display link driver is becoming Vaporware....

JoshFink
08-26-2013, 09:37 PM
This is going to be a huge issue for me. I really would like to get the beta drivers for OSX soon.

I don't see a reason that there can't be a beta notice with it saying the drivers aren't signed.

Post the drivers so everyone can use them. As soon as their accepted then update the beta.

Seems simple unless there truly are no drivers which would be much more concerning.

Josh

greywolfnz
08-27-2013, 03:28 AM
come on guys !!

it is becoming a major problem now .

fhall1
08-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Sure seems to have gotten quiet in here from a Displaylink rep perspective

jkirker
08-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Was the driver signing was just a convenient excuse? :confused:

mentalengine
08-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Now that we can all see the smokescreen. Anyone thinking of alternatives? I am looking at the Matrox Dual Head ME. Thunderbolt 2 monitors. Sounds promising. Here is a link for info I found. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital_me/

I am still secretly hoping the DisplayLink product on the Mac side will stop getting the step child treatment and take a proper priority spot in the support queue at DisplayLink, however if history is a good indicator of future behavior, this will prove futile.

Anyone at DL want to tread into the water a bit here and throw us an update?

JoshFink
08-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Even though I would like an updated driver I'm able to use this with OSX 10.9 DP6 on a 2013 MacBook Air. I would say my 2nd monitor through a Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI adapter is functional but with a little lag. I'm also using this monitor in a vertical mode. 1080x1920. Since I use this 2nd monitor for email and such it's not a huge deal.

I would however love some beta drivers that might get rid of the lag and get me the experience I'm looking for.

Thanks

Josh

UPDATE:[ Of course, after I post it something happens and things start to suck again. Way too laggy to use. Disregard the above post.

Wim
08-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi All

I'm supposed to be on holiday at the moment, but wanted to give you an update from us.

We got the signatures we needed a few weeks ago, and have started doing a test on the beta before release, but this got slowed down, as we had to release v7.4 for Windows 8.1. I'm afraid Windows does still come first as this is what our big customers push us for first.

Anyway - test had started, but found problems with more than 1 DisplayLink display working on some Macs. This has been investigated and believed fixed, but want to do a few more days testing to be sure. The additional good news is that the delay has allowed some good Ethernet connection stability fixes, that was affecting the Mac 2.0 software, to be fixed as well.

We will have the beta available by 9th Sept, and if testing goes well with the current fixes, it may even be next week.

Wim

MickM
08-30-2013, 02:29 PM
So this is certainly some good news, although not being upfront about the delay didn't win you any customer service points. My main fear is that we'll finally get a crack at this driver and uncover something Apple need to fix right around the time they they let the cat out of the bag (I guess that pun doesn't work anymore). Once that happens there'll be a tidal wave of feedback from the world in general and you can bet DisplayLink won't get any love for the next 6 months at least...

I still don't see why you wouldn't release what you've got - we can always go back to the previous driver if we don't like it and you get our feedback for when you get the chance to play with the code. I'm having several different issues (including lagging) in 10.9 enough so that I'm willing to try anything to get an improvement.

BTW: the next time you take a vacation, you need clear it with us first ;-).

JoshFink
08-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, that's some good news at least.

I had to roll back to 10.8.4 today as it's just too hard working with extreme lag and trying to get anything done.

I look forward to getting word that the drivers at least put us back on par with the 10.8 features.

Thanks

ehendrix
08-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Now that we can all see the smokescreen. Anyone thinking of alternatives? I am looking at the Matrox Dual Head ME. Thunderbolt 2 monitors. Sounds promising. Here is a link for info I found. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital_me/

Problem I see with that solution is as far as the Mac is concerned it is only 1 display, not 2.

ehendrix
08-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Hi All

I'm supposed to be on holiday at the moment, but wanted to give you an update from us.

We got the signatures we needed a few weeks ago, and have started doing a test on the beta before release, but this got slowed down, as we had to release v7.4 for Windows 8.1. I'm afraid Windows does still come first as this is what our big customers push us for first.

Wim

Hey Wim,
First of all .. enjoy your holiday.

I would however also agree that some kind of update from DisplayLink would be helpful. Just stating what you just did helped a bunch of people here knowing that something is being done. Last we heard was that there was a wait for the signing due to the Apple site being down. But this was quite a while ago now.

I would also say that you might find that most people in here are rather savvy. I would not suggest putting a pre-Beta on the download site but maybe posting a link here in the forum instead with the caveat that this would be more like pre-beta but not alpha. As a minimum we can provide some feedback and as mentioned before we can always go back if it really fails.

Hoping this is at least considered.

JoshFink
08-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Problem I see with that solution is as far as the Mac is concerned it is only 1 display, not 2.

I've tried this and returned it. While it's super smooth the one big desktop is a pain when you try to go full screen. You also are stuck with both screens being horizontal.

Wasn't optimal bit honestly it's better than a laggy mouse.

jkirker
09-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Any updates???

JamesH
09-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi,

Beta support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks is available in the DisplayLink Mac OS X 2.1 Beta driver.

See http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61983 for more details.

Thanks,
James

jdorseydesign
09-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Just upgraded to this, and I was hoping this new beta would fix the laggy mouse cursor I was seeing in Mavericks, but it doesn't. Is this an issue you guys are aware of?

JoshFink
09-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Wow.. that's disappointing. To me that was the only reason to use the upgrade and essentially what it was for. Without this Displaylink under Mavericks is useless as it's unusable.

Josh

jkirker
09-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to let you know that the second monitor and audio now work w/ the new driver.

I was expecting a little better performance with USB 3 than the old USB 2 devices though and they feel about the same. Still a little sluggish 1600x1200.

Any thoughts from DL? Or is this just the way it's going to be?

Thanks for getting the second monitor and sound going,
John

Wim
09-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Please now use the Mac 2.1 beta forum (http://www.displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48) for 10.9 issues. This thread is now closing.

Wim