PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Macbook air with two external monitor

curiousprgrmr@gmail.com
06-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Hi, I am wondering if the usb DisplayLink adapter would work smoothly with the new Macbook air, I am planning to plug two Dell U2412m as follow:

1 x miniDisplayPort(thunderbolt) to DisplayPort
1 x USB 3.0 DisplayLink to DisplayPort OR DVI

Have anyone tried a similar configuration? I have many concerns about this. Will the colors be the same on both the monitors? And since it is USB 3.0, would second monitor be fluid enough to watch HD videos? How will the image on the second monitor(DisplayLink) compare to the first (original DisplayPort), will they be identical?

I researched a lot on this topic, however, information are scarce on the Macbook's performance with DisplayLink, and most reviews are on the USB 2.0 version which seemingly lags on Macbooks.

Also, any recommendations on specific USB to DisplayPort or USB to DVI adapters? I know the Techstar ones seem the best but is there any cheaper alternative?

Thank you!

paulmj21
06-17-2013, 09:07 AM
It's not an identical setup, but a similar layout.
2010 imac.
2 x samsung 20" monitors (identical)
1 = Thunderbolt
1 = displaylink to USB

The two monitors are identical colour and resolution (and very close to my iMac). The system works almost flawlessly under display link 2.0 software.

The thing to watch out for is Mavericks OS. When Apple upgraded to Mountain Lion it seriously damaged multiple monitor workflow for DisplayLink users. It took nearly six months to get a fix from Apple. See thread:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1872

My main concern is whether Apple OS Mavericks is going to be the 'fly in the ointment'. This is especially worrying since they have completely revamped their multiple monitor GUI. I just couldn't face that level of disruption again.

In short; you shouldn't have any real problems, but keep an eye on the forum before upgrading to Mavericks.

curiousprgrmr@gmail.com
06-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Thank you so much for your response! I'll definitely watch out for Mavericks. But my only concern at the moment is if the cursor(mouse) will lag or delay. Which USB 3.0 to DisplayPort adapter are you using? Is it the Startech one? Thanks!!

paulmj21
06-18-2013, 12:22 PM
The Adaptor is the DIAMOND BVU195 USB External Video Display Adapter.
The USB port is USB 2.
There is zero lag on the cursor... (None that I can detect).
I can only assume that USB3 and a better adaptor will be an improvement in your favour.

I do suffer from quite bad display flicker on the display-link monitor when streaming video on the internet. I think the problem is more a safari/flash/display-link software combination. It's not a deal breaker for me, its not something I use often. If I have to view streamed video I have a keyboard shortcut to throw it over to the thunderbolt monitor or iMac display. You might also consider changing Safari for Google Chrome or Firefox.

Anyway I hope all this helps. Feel free to contact me if you need more help.
paulmj21@talk21.com or via the forum.

Paul

curiousprgrmr@gmail.com
06-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Thank you so much for your time and kind answers! I just have some questions about dual monitoring in Mac OS X The bottom toolbar will only be available on one of the screen right? Also do you find it easy to move windows around and extending them, moving around (alt-tab) such as in windows? Thanks!!

paulmj21
06-24-2013, 01:33 PM
The bottom Dock Bar only works on one monitor as does the top menu bar. (That can be changed through display settings in System Prefs/Display). You will find the lack of top menu bar a bit of a pain and it will take time getting used to jumping back and forth to your main monitor for the menu items, but you should get used to it after a while.

Mavericks, however, (when it is released in the Autumn) will give each monitor its own dedicated top menu bar and bottom Docks bar. So as long as it works with display-link, it will make life much easier for us all.

There are a couple of ways to move around screens:
1. Apple Spaces: where you can dedicate apps to different monitors. You can also drag apps from one 'space' to another.
2. I prefer to use a little utility app, 'Moom' from manytricks... http://manytricks.com/moom/ It's great if you have different monitors which have varied size and resolution. You can use the green menu button to instantly resize any window to any screen. You can also set up left and right keyboard shortcuts which will throw the app to another monitor and automatically resize at the same time. Great value at $10. You should find some good reviews and tutorials on 'youtube'.

Cmd-tab to move around active windows works equally well with three monitors as it does with one.

Paul

coolguy
06-27-2013, 10:30 PM
see my thread...

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61725