PDA

View Full Version : laptop monitor shown when lid is closed

alphadog
05-01-2014, 01:26 PM
I tried reconfiguring things and the new OS X Beta - 13D55 - with 2.2 Beta

I have 2 monitors via Displaylink Toshiba Dynadoc (HDMI & DVI) and that seems to be OK so far. The apple icon is missing on one, but the rest of the icons seem to be displaying ok along the menu bar - so that is an improvement.

Before I had one connected via Display port. Under that config, when the laptop lid is closed I only see the 2 external monitors when i set up the arrangement.

With 2 monitors connected via displaylink I see 3 monitors in the arrangement tab - one is the laptop even though the lid is closed.

Is this a Displaylink bug? Is there a way to remove the laptop from this?

alphadog
05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
As a follow up, the laptop display is off - with lid closed, or using magnet to fool MBA into thinking lid is closed - but something in displaylink driver is not letting MBA realize it is connected to just external monitors.

Works fine if one monitor is connected via displayport. I really don't want to swap over to all thunderbolt, but this is frustrating.

alphadog
05-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Moved back to one displaylink and one displayport monitor - i only see 2 monitors in the monitor setup now - so having an external displayport monitor tells the laptop to shutoff the laptop screen when lid is closed - not show it in the list.

Interestingly the missing icon issue is back in the menu bar - but it is the displaylink monitor that is missing the icons - only for chrome notification. The apple icon is on both.

Also, before doing this, i plugged in the displaylink dock with lid shut..... bad mistake. locked up my laptop and only a hard power off would fix it.

Carlo
05-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Hi alphadog,

Clamshell mode can only be triggered with at least one external screen connected to the built-in GPU. This is a long standing OS X limitation, I'm not aware of special settings or workarounds.

The lockup after plugging in the dock is very worrying, we'll try to reproduce on our MBAs.

Carlo