PDA

View Full Version : MBP w/OSX 10.9.2 and Beta 2.2 driver - not working

karstyn
05-20-2014, 07:17 PM
I've read a bunch of other posts where users are having issues with multiple monitors, but I can't get a single external monitor to work.

I have the AOC E1659 USB monitor and am using the latest DisplayLink Mac beta 2.2 driver.

Results -

Starting up with the monitor plugged in: briefly see the "AOC" logo, then completely black

Plugging the monitor into the left side USB port after logging in: external screen flashes "AOC" for about 30 seconds then goes completely black like there is no power to it.

Plugging the monitor into the right side USB port after logging in: external monitor first displays the "AOC" logo then cycles between solid white, red, green, blue screen for about 45 seconds and then also goes completely black.

Am I missing something simple? If not then I have an approx. $130, large, paper weight!

Any guidance appreciated.

BMT
05-20-2014, 09:30 PM
I can't promise it'll make any difference, but remove the DisplayLink driver using the uninstaller.

Update to 10.9.3, reboot, reinstall the 2.2 beta drivers and try again.

If it still doesn't work after that, it might be worth trying the 2.1 'stable' drivers too.

karstyn
05-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks - that sounded hopeful!

I upgraded to 10.9.3, then un-installed and re-installed both the 2.2 driver, then the 2.1 driver.

WOW - I was about to say 'neither worked', but as I about to write that the external monitor started to work! Seems it takes about 2 minutes or so for it to sync the video signal.

So to be clear, the 2.1 driver is working. I may go back and try the 2.2 driver and just wait longer to see if I was just too impatient and expected it sync up faster.

Thank you!

karstyn
05-21-2014, 12:33 AM
I did try re-installing the beta 2.2 driver and waiting for up to 15 minutes - no go.

Re-installed the 2.1 driver. I get the white, red, blue, green flashing for 3 cycles, then a new icon is displayed, a computer and monitor with a blue USB cable coming in from the right side. This displays, jumping around the screen like a screen saver for many minutes, possibly 5 or more and it starts to work.

Bottom line - for me the beta 2.2 driver does not work with a single external monitor, but the stable 2.1 driver does.

angrynerd
05-25-2014, 08:21 PM
I recently bought an AOC 1659Fwu and played with it on my 13'' MBP. Wanted to sum up my experience but didn't find time so far.

I used to have the issues similar to what you're experiencing, and what helped was the new USB cable. Seems the cable AOC sells you is a crappy one. Replacing it makes the display more stable, but not near enough stable to consider it a working solution.

From time to time the monitor is turning black, then white, then back to normal picture again -- all within a couple of seconds. And sometimes it flashes red-green-blue and not displaying the image properly.

BTW, for me the 2.1 driver didn't work at all. The only thing I got was a warning saying my monitor model isn't supported and I should update to the latest version of the driver (wat?). So I guess the only option for me is 2.2 beta.

UPDATE: after I wrote this I decided to give it another try with the 2.1 version of the driver -- and now it worked. Probably again the USB cable is to blame. No improvements with the performance though: same dropouts and red-green-blue cycles again and again. I think I'm going to give up.

karstyn
05-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Interesting - I hadn't thought about replacing the USB cable - which one did you buy?

angrynerd
05-25-2014, 09:10 PM
I bought a standard Belkin USB 3.0 cable. Although, another one I use to connect a card reader also worked.