PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite, no way?

displaylinker
07-25-2014, 06:07 AM
The beta just came out today, so tempted to install it. But seeing how DisplayLink doesn't even work properly on 10.9.4 would this just totally break it? Any brave souls tried it yet? :cool:

mentalengine
07-25-2014, 10:31 PM
The beta just came out today, so tempted to install it. But seeing how DisplayLink doesn't even work properly on 10.9.4 would this just totally break it? Any brave souls tried it yet? :cool:

It works pretty decent for a single monitor. With the developer preview 4 anyway , which I am assuming is the same build that went to the public beta. There are some issues where it will not display the alpha and transparencies for the dock and top status, it makes them solid color. But it is usable. Not sure if more than one display link will work given that it is buggy as hell on all other mac os releases.

Best,

d:

paultzirides
07-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Can verify that a single display does work, but, as previous poster advised, does not display transparencies properly. Corners of windows are also not displayed properly.

Maps, surprisingly (an app that had lots of problems previously), displays far better.

Still testing.

dontheman
07-29-2014, 10:20 PM
I have been using Yosemite for a couple weeks now with 3 monitors (one on thunderbolt, 2 with DisplayLinks). I had been using 4 monitors before Mavericks but I could not get the 4th to power when Mavericks came out and have not tried to run the 4th with Yosemite. The monitors work the same as it did on Mavericks for me. Not great, but I get a long. Need to reorientate the monitors every time I unplug or restart my MacBook Pro, thats the most annoying part.

jb510
07-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Similar experiences.

DL 2.1 worked about the same on 10.9 and 10.10 for me. Single USB monitor worked, dragging could be slow, but otherwise fine for my usage.

I just learned of installed 2.2 so no idea what that'll change on 10.10.

Unrelated but FYI the first 10.10 public beta (just installed it on my production machine) isn't much more stable than DP 4 was on my non-production machine. Things periodically slow to a crawl and require a reboot. I think it's a network file access loop.

Most software runs fine on 10.10, VM Ware Fusion being the only notable exception I've encountered. I used to have beta access to VM Ware products, but don't any more, I'm guessing they have a VM Ware Fusion release out there that works with 10.10, I just don't care having moved mostly to Virtual Box/Vagrant/Docker.

twokansamm
07-31-2014, 02:00 PM
I get a black bar at the top, and the dock is overly white. I'm on the 2.2 driver.

manningn884
08-01-2014, 02:38 PM
I'm running 10.10 and echo the comments above. It's usable with the 2.2 driver, but I get request slow downs in performance, artefacts on the display and problems with the dock/transparency/etc.

I'm running 2 additional displays - one on Thunderbolt and another from USB.

Don't have any issues with orientation or power. I was happy with 2.2 on Mavericks and I think that Yosemite is close-isn to where it needs to be for my needs.

ems196
08-02-2014, 12:25 PM
I've been running the new release of Yosemite (OS X 10.10 (14A299l)) for a few days now. The only problem I'm having is that the DL-connected monitor's menu bar gets pretty fuzzy when it is the active display. (It's fine when it is not the active display.) Otherwise everything seems to work normally.

I'm using 2.2 and did an upgrade from Mavericks. Didn't mess with the driver (e.g., uninstall/reinstall).

I'm running the built-in display, an external Thunderbolt display and a DL-connected display with a StarTech USB32DVIPRO adapter on my Fall 2011 MB Air.

Carlo
08-15-2014, 08:32 AM
The main new issues for us are:
- A general slowness in some setups (but MUCH better than DP1/DP2)
- The black menu bar
- New in DP5, Chrome flashing white with some websites (even with one screen)

One issue fixed:
- Dock corruption

The main Mavericks issues remain. Not ideal.

Cheers,
Carlo

zappcatt
08-19-2014, 07:41 PM
I did not have any luck when I tried.

I use multiple web browsers across my laptop, displayport monitor and the Displaylink.

I had my displaylink monitor totally corrupted when trying to use the newest drivers on the Preview version of Yosemite.

EDIT: I am not sure if it was the update to Version 2 of the beta, or the move to run Yosemite off a built in hard drive instead of from a USB drive, but the monitor is back to performing as well as it did in Mavericks now.

jwade08
10-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Here are my issues:

On Beta 3 of Yosemite, I was running the original driver for DisplayLink. Everything worked fine with some issues that have been stated in this thread. I then updated the driver to 2.2 and the Mac OS would detect the monitor but no signal being sent to my monitor. I then reverted back to the original driver and everything went back to normal. I just recently updated Yosemite to Beta 4 and now neither driver will work. Same issue where the OS will detect the monitor but no signal being sent to the monitor.

I am running a MBA with TB display and DisplayLink on second monitor.

displaylinker
10-06-2014, 07:47 AM
The release candidate has just been released last week, has anyone tried this yet? I still haven't updated yet, waiting for the new version from Display Link, unless I get confirmation that the old driver works.

thnninen
10-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Hi all.

I just upgraded to Yosemite, and see no major issues. My two external displays are working just as they did before. Not worse, not better.

And I'm using driver version 2.2.

christobald
10-17-2014, 03:04 PM
It works OK in Yosemite, except for one thing that may be a dealbreaker for some, it certainly is for me:

When i do a three finger swipe upwards to get to the virtual desktop view, it takes somewhere between one and five seconds before anything happens.
If I unplug the displaylink USB connection, the same swipe is near instantaneous, as it should be.

In Mavericks, this could take less than half a second, slower than it was without the displaylink adapter connected, but tolerable. As it stands today, I will have to reinstall Mavericks, because it drives me crazy to have to wait several seconds each time I want to move apps between desktops.

Hardware and Software used:

MacBook Pro mid 2010, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB SSD, two 1920x1200 monitors, Yosemite and displaylink drivers 2.3 beta. (Issue is the same with the 2.2 driver.)

jb510
10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
I've been running Yosemite and a single USB connected monitor for a couple months.

In short: It works, but not wonderfully.

Specific issues I have:
Some window actions are extremely slow. As mentioned above, going to/from the dashboard. Also when there is a floating overlay window on the external (USB) monitor it can drag extremely slowly. (A screenshot utility I use called Glui comes to mind).
Chrome (Dev Channel) - Switching tabs won't alway refresh to the correct tab, moving the window will trigger a refresh. <- Pretty sure this is a chrome bug unrelated to DisplayLink.

Still no brightness control obviously...

This issues were all present under DL 2.2 & OS X 10.10, still present in the Oct 10th 2.3 beta.

Electricmice
10-20-2014, 10:49 PM
I would hold off, I was on Maverick, running a 2 screen setup, and while it would occasionally crash, it was generally usable. Upgraded to Yosemite, and now I get massive flicker/white on the active window on both the 2.2 and 2.3 drivers.