DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Beta 2 Bugs (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=935)

kurtnagel 07-22-2011 01:50 AM

My Bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtnagel (Post 3819)
After upgrading to Lion and installing 1.7b2, second display is not detected at all and monitor indicates no signal. I have a newertech USB 2.0 to DVI adapter. Led on adapter blinks.

Okay,

I feel really stupid. In the process of plugging and unplugging the display link usb, I knocked the power to the USB hub out. After discovering this behind my very dusty desk, the display came back.

I don't use the rotation or other advanced features, so I can't comment on the other issues folks are having.

seanscottusa 07-22-2011 04:37 AM

Keyboard and Drag issues

I have the same issue as mhhcookies with b2. I only use the 9600M "High Performance" mode, and no drag operations ever finish. Even worse, after about 10 minutes of work (I'm not sure what, exactly, is triggering it), I cannot type letters, numbers, space, return, delete, or the characters to the right of letters and numbers on the keyboard. (True on both a bluetooth keyboard and the built-in keyboard, whether or not I ever connect the external keyboard.) Only the modifier keys and the F keys work. The only solution is to restart. I had to uninstall the driver to get anything done.

Uthacalthing 07-22-2011 10:56 AM

Workaround for Click-Drag issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpope (Post 3818)
I as well am experiencing that dragging operations do not cancel correctly. I first experienced this today immediately after upgrading. After un-installing and re-installing a few times, it was very clear the dragging issues were directly related to the driver. In attempt to get this working, and helping you debug, I made a Lion installation disk, booted from it, and preformed a clean install after completely wiping my HD.

After login on the clean system, I immediately installed the B2 drivers, and nothing else. I still experience the dragging issues, rendering the computer useless. I tried a few times to reboot w/ and w/o the monitor plugged-in, etc. As long as the driver is installed, I have these issues.

The first is related to not releasing an icon when dragging. The only way to release it is in esc+click, which puts the file right back where it started. The second area I've noticed this, is in trying to drag an icon out of the dock. The dock icons also do not release, unless you drop them on the top menu bar, and then they return to the dock.

I have attached the debug file to this msg. I am running a Macbook Pro with a duel link DVI adapter to a 30in Dell. I have the display link running a 24in Dell. I know your working hard on these issues, and really can't wait until they are resolved.

Deciding where to continue w/o the 3rd monitor, or revert back to snow leopard. Looking forward to your progress. Cheers!

I've been troubleshooting with a bunch of people over at the Apple Support Communities Forums on the Lion drag'n'drop issue. It's not just DisplayLink drivers that are affected, it's also other external display drivers, such as AirDisplay, iDisplay and DisplayPad.

One workaround we've found, which has been confirmed on several users with MacBook Pros (including me): Put the computer to sleep, then wake again, and click-drag works like a charm. It's lost again on reboot, but for a beta driver, I'm fine with this as a workaround.

Link to Apple Forum Topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15667903

Cheers,

-U

Uthacalthing 07-22-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanscottusa (Post 3844)
I have the same issue as mhhcookies with b2. I only use the 9600M "High Performance" mode, and no drag operations ever finish. Even worse, after about 10 minutes of work (I'm not sure what, exactly, is triggering it), I cannot type letters, numbers, space, return, delete, or the characters to the right of letters and numbers on the keyboard. (True on both a bluetooth keyboard and the built-in keyboard, whether or not I ever connect the external keyboard.) Only the modifier keys and the F keys work. The only solution is to restart. I had to uninstall the driver to get anything done.

I had a similar issue, perhaps this will help.

I have Microsoft RDP client installed for work, to connect to Windows environment. Their shortcut keys for skipping words are Ctrl-Left & Ctrl-Right.

In Lion, these keystrokes are now used to swipe between spaces, full screen apps, etc. Once I pressed Ctrl-Left, I was taken out of my RDP session, and found that the keyboard basically stopped working (most of the keys, anyway can't remember which).

The "fix" for me was to go into System Preferences -> Keyboard, then untick the two shortcuts for Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right under "Mission Control". After that, I had no more keyboard freeze problems.

I should note that I also have the click-drag issues as well, but the two seem to be unrelated, for me at least. Note in my other post: a possible workaround for click-drag is to put the computer to sleep then wake again, and drag & drop works until next reboot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-U

robelkin 07-22-2011 02:57 PM

For me, the only bug I've seen is that the DisplayLink Manager is constantly running at 60%+ cpu, which is slowing everything else down. Has anyone else seen this?

MacBook Pro
17-inch, Early 2009
Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A511)

ezkl 07-23-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robelkin (Post 3859)
For me, the only bug I've seen is that the DisplayLink Manager is constantly running at 60%+ cpu, which is slowing everything else down. Has anyone else seen this?

MacBook Pro
17-inch, Early 2009
Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A511)

I've experienced the staggered performance since upgrading to Lion, but I have a similarly equipped machine and combined CPU utilization for 2 DisplayLinkManager processes and the DisplayLinkUserAgent process hasn't risen above 3-4%. What do you have running on the external monitor? I've seen that sort of CPU utilization with fullscreen video and little else.

robelkin 07-25-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkl (Post 3867)
I've experienced the staggered performance since upgrading to Lion, but I have a similarly equipped machine and combined CPU utilization for 2 DisplayLinkManager processes and the DisplayLinkUserAgent process hasn't risen above 3-4%. What do you have running on the external monitor? I've seen that sort of CPU utilization with fullscreen video and little else.

Even when I have nothing running on it, it still has that level of cpu utilisation. Definitely not running any video on it, usually use it for chat windows and file lists, so nothing crazy.

philip 07-25-2011 11:59 AM

crash report

I have two crash reports, one is displayLink and one is WindowServer. I have been expereincing the sticky drag and drop bug as well as the login in screen bug. I have a late 08 MBP 15" unibody 5,1 2.53gHz 8gb RAM using 1.7b2 running Lion. does display link want this crash report and how do I give it to them?

jpope 07-25-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uthacalthing (Post 3852)
I've been troubleshooting with a bunch of people over at the Apple Support Communities Forums on the Lion drag'n'drop issue. It's not just DisplayLink drivers that are affected, it's also other external display drivers, such as AirDisplay, iDisplay and DisplayPad.

One workaround we've found, which has been confirmed on several users with MacBook Pros (including me): Put the computer to sleep, then wake again, and click-drag works like a charm. It's lost again on reboot, but for a beta driver, I'm fine with this as a workaround.

Link to Apple Forum Topic:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15667903

Cheers,

-U

Thank you, Uthacalthing. After reading the Apple Forum, I installed the driver, rebooted my machine, put the computer to sleep, and then woke it up.. sure enough, it worked! I can now use the driver and release items from my mouse. I have, however, had some issues related to the keyboard dropping out, not sure if it is related or not, as I have not had the time to fully test.

Regards -jpope

claytv 07-25-2011 03:22 PM

Slew of Problems

I have a MBP 5,1. Here are the list of issues I'm having with the beta driver:
- My main login screen only shows the gray background. I have to guess-click where my icon is, and type my password blindly to log in.
- The displays work, but they don't work with ProPresenter.
- When I mount the beta dmg to uninstall, the window is blank and have to guess-click where the uninstall icon is.
- After I uninstall the driver, everything is back to normal (minus the extra display).

Tech support shrugged their shoulders. Anyone have any clues what it could be?

scott1588 07-25-2011 03:52 PM

Beta 2 Bugs

1 Attachment(s)
I have a MBP 15" I am experiencing the drag and drop problem as well. I am also having problems with some pull down menus. I iCal, for example, when I click on the Calendar button the resulting window is blank. There are actually items there because I can click and drag them. Similar problem with Keynote, the templates window appears blank even though the items are actually there. As soon as I remove Beta2, all these problems go away.

bassman78 07-25-2011 05:30 PM

Driver Bugs on OS X Lion

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my problems:

1) using shortcuts for Mission Control (e.g. command+1,2,3 to go directly to desktop 1,2,3...) renders the keyboard dead. I am able to continue using keyboard shortcuts for Mission control, but actual typing of text and other keyboard input does not work.
-> only way to get keyboard to work again is by going to Activity Monitor and quitting the process called "Dock"

2) drag and drop problem, as reported by others
-> good to know that putting computer to sleep makes this problem go away

3.1) preview of anything (video, pdf, image...) does not work. (i.e. click an image, hit space bar to preview it, and the window comes up but it is greyed out with no content)

3.2) video does not show image (in quick time it's black, in vlc it's white screen). Audio comes through normally.

3.3) some pages in Safari go mysteriously blank after a splitsecond of loading. Must be related to 3.1 and 3.2. Chrome works fine. Have not tested on Firefox.

3.4) I have not tested all my apps, but I assume that the displaying of content is probably not working correctly on other apps as well, such as calendar and keynote, as reported by the above user. Must be co-related.

4) Login screen is grey. Lucky me I use automatic login, but when troubleshooting my issues with Apple support, they asked me to create a new login to see if problems where there again (this was before I realized it was an issue with the displaylink driver). Once I created that second login and tried to get to it, I experience the same gray screen that everybody is talking about.
-> only way to fix this was to boot in safe mode (holding shift when powering up), and then putting account to login automatically again.

The above issues happen with or without my external displays connected. Over the weekend I reinstalled Lion and the problems went away. When I renistalled the driver and the problems came back I had the epiphany of the source of the issues.

Any ideas on when the next driver version will be released?
Anything else I can do to help you identify and solve these problems?

Thanks!

Carlo 07-26-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassman78 (Post 3889)
Here are my problems:
(...)

Any ideas on when the next driver version will be released?
Anything else I can do to help you identify and solve these problems?

Thanks!

Bassman78 first of all thank you very much for the detailed and useful bug report.
We've been looking into this matter and as far as we can tell all these issues derive from bugs in Lion on the 9400/9600M systems. The wrong hardware acceleration path one is more obvious, the mouse/drag issue is weird but still something we can't do anything about.
We have bugs opened with Apple about these issues but if you're using the aforementioned GPUs the only mitigation we know of is to force the GPU to be the 9600M.

Everyone can help by contacting Apple and raising these issues as we did.

mav 08-22-2011 11:08 PM

same issues for me (15" MBP - mid 2009). Began immediately after I installed the beta driver.

The dead keyboard issue starts immediately upon using mission control keystrokes (typically the Ctrl-arrow versions for me) and sometimes, but not always, when launching mail.app (which is pinned to space 1). In either case, quitting the Dock process fixes the problem.

The drag and drop issue is more pesky, as so far I was only able to fix it by hard rebooting, but I can not reliably reproduce it. (it has not happened yet since I found out about the sleep and wake solution)

Video, previews, etc are working fine for me however. And I do not have the gray login screen issue (I do not automatically login to my macbookpro).

kristjan 08-26-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by analli (Post 3801)
No rotation option in my LG W2442 with 1.7b2 after installing Lion. Reboot didn't solve anything. I have a 27" iMac and this monitor is useless to me unless I can rotate it. Any advice?

Anthony

I installed the OS X Beta 3 driver on Lion. Everything works except there is no rotation option for my MIMO 710a in the relevant system preferences menu for this monitor. Another thread suggested installing this:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/269...-rotation-menu

So I tried it and this menulet works.

Interestingly enough when I rotate MIMO display with this menulet the the old display option magically appear in the Apple System Preferences menu for my MIMO. As soon as I set the display back to 'Standard' rotation they disappear again.