DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Windows 8 issues - USB display adapter (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2059)

axel_f 10-27-2012 05:49 PM

Windows 8 issues - USB display adapter

1 Attachment(s)
Dear community...

Since I bought Windows 7 I have been using this wonderful device:

http://www.technaxx.de/details/37/UG...1080P_Full_HD/

With Windows 7 this thing has worked flawlessly: In addition to my notebook display I was able to use one more display (external via VGA) and one via USB (VGA).

With Windows 8 the USB video adapter has stopped working. At first I thought it could be a driver problem, but this is not the case: All drivers have been installed without errors, as you can see from the image in the attachment.

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/att...1&d=1351360120

(BTW: It looks the same in Win7... in Win7 as well as Win8 I am using the driver for the "Displaylink Display Adapter (0198)", the driver for Win8 was specifically downloaded from the Displaylink page.)

In Windows 7 I can choose from all three different displays, in Windows 8 only my Notebook display and the attached VGA display are recognized. The Displaylink software in its most recent version is installed, but the tray icon is not showing (I have no clue, why! As you can see, the drivers are installed!)... The knowledgebase is not really helping, as I tried most of the solutions there that seem in any way connected to my problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance!

willybob 10-28-2012 08:00 PM

Same here, updated from windows 7 to windows 8. Updated driver for my disp0laylink adapter to the lastest version, and now impossible to activate the 3rd display through displaylink device

JamesH 10-28-2012 09:30 PM

Hi

Can you gather and attach the logs as described here?
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James

svnoto 10-29-2012 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am having the same problem. Mimo 710s working fine with Windows 7, now not working with Windows 8.

If I goto Devices and Printers in Control Panel, the Mimo is listed as an "unspecified device". HOWEVER if I goto Device Manager, it is listed as a USB Display Adapter, similar to the OP.

I am attaching the zip file created by your diagnostic tool

Thanks in advance for any help!

UPDATE: This was posted on Plugable:

"DisplayLink’s driver has a bug with the latest drivers for the Intel HD 3000 GPU where you’ll see the drivers install successfully, but no DisplayLink devices will work (they hit an assert). This bug is present in DisplayLink’s latest 7.0M2 driver. We don’t have confirmation yet, but would expect it to be fixed in DisplayLink’s next update in a few weeks"

I am running an Intel HD 3000 GPU, any idea as to when a fix is planned?

promasean 10-29-2012 11:53 AM

Same issue here

1 Attachment(s)
Everything was hunky dory with Win7. Upgraded (and I use that word very loosely) to Win8 and no joy. Logs attached.

hba 10-29-2012 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update: My setup shows exactly the same flickering as described by drowl87 (#28).

I also updated from windows 7 to windows 8. Updated my Plugable adapter to the latest DisplayLink version, and now its impossible to activate the 3rd display through device without the two remaining screens flickering and Windows logging off (not restart).

I've attached the support files

Henrik

sdwoods 10-29-2012 03:32 PM

Upgrade to Win8 breaks DisplayLink

I have the latestes drivers for Win8 and it still does not detect my displays, though the driver installed successfully and the devices are in the Device Manager. Please fix asap.

Wim 10-29-2012 08:32 PM

If you think you have this issue, please post the logs as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Win 8 is a new operating system and there might be more than 1 issue. Having the logs will help check if it is the same root cause.

Thanks

Wim

Maciej Miskowiec 10-30-2012 08:48 AM

Could you please try to unplug the USB Video Device, manually uninstall Displaylink Software from Installed Programs and then install the latest version from our website again ?
It should fix your issue.

Thanks
Maciej

JeffNNC 10-31-2012 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maciej Miskowiec (Post 8198)
Could you please try to unplug the USB Video Device, manually uninstall Displaylink Software from Installed Programs and then install the latest version from our website again ?

Thanks
Maciej

Did that and I'm still having the same problem. Windows shows that the driver is installed and working but I'm not able to get windows to see the monitor.

Maciej Miskowiec 10-31-2012 01:10 PM

Hi
Many Thanks for logs you have posted. I had a quick look and I can see that you have only the core software installed. Normally when you install the latest version from our website you should have Displaylink Core software and Displaylink Graphics software installed. In your case it looks like the driver was downloaded through Windows Update and then something went wrong.
We are looking at this issue, but to try help you in the time being, could you please try again to unplug the device ,then uninstall Displaylink Core software, install the latest DL software from the website and plug in the device.

Thanks
Maciej

jlnord 10-31-2012 01:54 PM

Windows 8 Lenovo W530 Display issue

1 Attachment(s)
Windows 8
Lenovo W530 Running all the newest release drivers
When I connect the display link adapter I lose Keyboard and mouse. After about 3 to 5 minutes my displays go black until I remove display link. I have attached the debug information for my PC.

Thanks for any help

Jason Nord

kenaustin 10-31-2012 04:53 PM

Targus USB 3.0 usb adapter - no video

1 Attachment(s)
Similar situation to other posts - latest drivers, service running, support tool compatibility check passed..
No recognition of monitor. I've attached my logs for review.

Some interesting symptoms: when display adapter initially plugged in both my HDMI monitor (connected directly to notebook) and my VGA monitor (through DisplayLink adapter) were both visible. I had some screen flashes that prompted me to make sure my drivers were up to date. Now that they are, I've lost my second monitor.

Ken

JeffNNC 10-31-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffNNC (Post 8213)
Did that and I'm still having the same problem. Windows shows that the driver is installed and working but I'm not able to get windows to see the monitor.

UPDATE: I finally got it to work.
This is what I had to do.
1. unplug usb monitor adapter
2. uninstall the driver software
3. reboot
4. re-install the driver software
5. plug in the usb adapter again
6. repeat steps 1-5 3 more times.
It worked on my 4th time through. It may take more or less for you, but maybe it will work eventually.

kenaustin 10-31-2012 05:40 PM

Fixed issue

Frustrating but here is what worked.
With adapter plugged in I opened device mgr and uninstalled all the DisplayLink and Targus display drivers. Make sure you delete the drivers from your system.
I then uninstalled the DisplayLink software.
Unplugged adapter.
rebooted
Once win8 restarted, I plugged back in the adapter and let Windows search and down load drivers.

axel_f 11-01-2012 08:46 AM

Problem solved!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maciej Miskowiec (Post 8198)

Thanks
Maciej

Indeed, it did. As far as I (the thread starter) am concerned, the problem is gone. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Wim 11-01-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlnord (Post 8216)
Windows 8
Lenovo W530 Running all the newest release drivers
When I connect the display link adapter I lose Keyboard and mouse. After about 3 to 5 minutes my displays go black until I remove display link. I have attached the debug information for my PC.

Thanks for any help

Jason Nord

That sounds weird and more like a USB issue, as there should be no "DisplayLink software reason" that would disconnect the keyboard and mouse.

Your Windows 8 USB driver looks out of date:

Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Version: 6.2.9200.16384
Driver Date: 2012/07/25

Whereas the latest seems to be:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Version: 6.2.9200.16420
Driver Date: 2012/09/19

I wonder if updating to the latest Microsoft USB driver will solve this?

Wim

Wim 11-01-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenaustin (Post 8220)
Similar situation to other posts - latest drivers, service running, support tool compatibility check passed..
No recognition of monitor. I've attached my logs for review.

Some interesting symptoms: when display adapter initially plugged in both my HDMI monitor (connected directly to notebook) and my VGA monitor (through DisplayLink adapter) were both visible. I had some screen flashes that prompted me to make sure my drivers were up to date. Now that they are, I've lost my second monitor.

Ken

From the logs, I can see the last line is "Unexpected result from EULA dialog". Did you accept the EULA on each install or did you cancel one of them?

Can you try uninstalling and then installing the version from our website (and accepting any EULAs) before connecting the device?

Hopefully that will solve it.

Wim

jcrombez 11-02-2012 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attachment for my logs - I already re-installed the latest drivers 6, 7 times

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 8192)
If you think you have this issue, please post the logs as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Win 8 is a new operating system and there might be more than 1 issue. Having the logs will help check if it is the same root cause.

Thanks

Wim

Wim 11-02-2012 03:51 PM

Can you follow the procedure in this article to make sure you follow the right steps to resolve this:

http://kb.displaylink.com/334

Thanks

Wim

miket71 11-03-2012 11:45 PM

Windows 8 DisplayLink issue

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, and I have the WUSB to HDMI DisplayLink Adapter from Cables Unlimited a.k.a. Warpia, IOGear GUWAVKIT2, and a few other names that it sells under. The last WUSB driver I tried to use is version 14.2.174.8, with no luck. When we plugin the USB adapter, it tries to plug-n-play, but doesn't complete like it did with Windows 7, as there were about 7 Device Connect sounds, and the screen would flash a couple times as it initialized. With Windows 8, there are only 2 Device Connect sounds, with no screen flash. If the device is left connected, the computer blue screens after a few minutes. Hopefully one of the vendors are working on a new driver for Windows 8. We are using the latest DisplayLink software. Thanks for reading, and for any help. Mike

miket71 11-04-2012 02:17 AM

Windows 8 DisplayLink issue - reattempt

Hello, I just made another attempt at loading the WUSB drivers and DisplayLink software. I uninstalled both the driver and software, and rebooted. Then I put the DisplayLink USB dongle into the USB port on the computer. Everything installed except for the USB Root Hub for it with a yellow exclamation symbol and an Error 31. When I tried Updating The Driver manually, it would go online to look for one, but would come back to say that it had the best driver on the computer already, despite the yellow triangle symbol. Then I tried reloading the Windows 8 compatible DisplayLink software again. It would start to load, then it seemed like it would quit in the middle of the install. I'm used to clicking Finish at the end of any install which would tell me that it was successful, but that doesn't happen. However, it shows two entries in the Programs and Features list (DisplayLink Core Software and DisplayLink Graphics). The DisplayLink tray icon does not appear at all. Then when I load the WUSB driver for it, that loads fine, but still it does not work. Each time I try to load the driver, it wants to update the firmware on the USB dongles, but I have been skipping that part because I know that they are updated. When the dongle is connected at the PC, the green light flashes quickly for a few seconds, then goes steady, then flashes rapidly again for a few seconds, then shows steady, and does this over and over with no result. I have seem the PC blue screen if I leave the dongle in there too long. Thanks for any help and suggestions. Mike

jcrombez 11-04-2012 11:03 AM

Hello,

I did exactly as mentionned in http://kb.displaylink.com/334, at least 6, 7 times. Without any luck.

flo6677 11-04-2012 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also have the problem with out Laptop Lenovo X1 Carbon. As Windows 8 is installed (with USB 3.0 driver) I only installed the Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock driver and the new Display Link 7.0M2.
Only a few seconds the external display appeards, than the signal is gone... After ever new plug-in the same.
I already tried every step/hints on this forum-page. Nothing helps.

Do you have any hints to a stable connection to the USB 3.0 dock?
We need the Notebooks urgently in office...
Thanks a lot!

Wim 11-05-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miket71 (Post 8279)
Hello,

Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, and I have the WUSB to HDMI DisplayLink Adapter from Cables Unlimited a.k.a. Warpia, IOGear GUWAVKIT2, and a few other names that it sells under. The last WUSB driver I tried to use is version 14.2.174.8, with no luck. When we plugin the USB adapter, it tries to plug-n-play, but doesn't complete like it did with Windows 7, as there were about 7 Device Connect sounds, and the screen would flash a couple times as it initialized. With Windows 8, there are only 2 Device Connect sounds, with no screen flash. If the device is left connected, the computer blue screens after a few minutes. Hopefully one of the vendors are working on a new driver for Windows 8. We are using the latest DisplayLink software. Thanks for reading, and for any help. Mike

I think your issue is with the UWB link. These drivers are not DisplayLink drivers, so I can't help get these working. But looking at the system details, it shows that a DisplayLink device has never been detected on the USB bus:

Quote:

--------- Nivo Info ---------

Attatched USB device(s) matching our VID:

Nivo's that have been attached:

Hardware IDs:
Wim

Wim 11-05-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flo6677 (Post 8286)
I also have the problem with out Laptop Lenovo X1 Carbon. As Windows 8 is installed (with USB 3.0 driver) I only installed the Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock driver and the new Display Link 7.0M2.
Only a few seconds the external display appeards, than the signal is gone... After ever new plug-in the same.
I already tried every step/hints on this forum-page. Nothing helps.

Do you have any hints to a stable connection to the USB 3.0 dock?
We need the Notebooks urgently in office...
Thanks a lot!

I think you have a different issue, which I have raised a bug for, as it needs further analysis.

Someone on here did have an issue with the X1 and updating the BIOS helped. Could you try this and see if it helps solve the issue?

Wim

flo6677 11-05-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 8291)
I think you have a different issue, which I have raised a bug for, as it needs further analysis.

Someone on here did have an issue with the X1 and updating the BIOS helped. Could you try this and see if it helps solve the issue?

Wim

Yes, I already updated BIOS from Lenovo support page and tried the new drivers. The first time monitors show a few seconds, now nothing happens, if I connect the dock.

drowl87 11-05-2012 01:34 PM

Screen Flashing

I'm having the same issues as well. I had done an upgrade to Windows 8 when it first started. After having other issues with the upgrade, I wiped the hard drive and did a clean install of Win 8 Pro. I installed the latest 7.0 M2 driver (downloaded from the DisplayLink website), hooked up the monitor, rebooted the machine when prompted to, and the screens began flickering on after reboot. Here is a video of what is happening: http://goo.gl/OT2ph. Sorry for the poor audio, but you should be able to get the gist.

mho 11-05-2012 01:57 PM

Win 8 - DisplayLink drivers not working

Have ImationLink USB adapter, worked just fine with Win 7, after upgrade to Win 8 no video signal, audio connection seems to work. Uninstalled and reinstalled DisplayLink software and driver several times with no effect. Solution?

AaronC 11-06-2012 03:03 AM

Similar flashing or black screen issue

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am running windows 8 on a new Lenovo w530. I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled drivers etc countless times (including all the ways suggested in this thread) and have had no luck). When wanting to extend my display I get the flashing screen. If I instead duplicate my display my second screen goes black, but has a windows arrow in the centre and my primary screen switches to low resolution, but the flashing ceases. If I switch my secondary screen to off (ie only keep my primary display) then my resolution of my primary screen goes back to normal and the secondary screen goes blank.

Log from the displaylink support tool is attached below (I ran the tool while the primary screen was flashing)

Any help suggestions would be much appreciated.

Wim 11-06-2012 02:33 PM

OK - it looks like we are reproducing the issue people are having with uninstall/reinstall. It appears that if you try and uninstall DisplayLink Core Software, it looks like its uninstalled, but if you press F5 to refresh the Programs list, it is still there.

If you try and uninstall again, then it should disappear this time. If not, try uninstalling the "DisplayLink graphics" package and see if that works... Basically, don't reboot and try and install again until "DisplayLink Core software" and "DisplayLink graphics" have both disappeared from Programs - even when you press F5 to refresh.

I think this is why some of you are still having issues.

Sorry about this... I can understand it's a big pain. I'm now off to sacrificially burn some engineers responsible for this screw up and make sure it's fixed in the next release in a few weeks time.

Wim

AaronC 11-07-2012 12:29 AM

When I previously uninstalled the software, I checked to ensure it really was gone by refreshing (and rebooting). But to leave no stone unturned, I retried today and did everything as described (which is what I did previously anyway). I got the same result with the flashing screen.

I did the uninstall again, this time ran regedit and deleted all entries relating to displaylink, there were some that I couldn't delete though. This time the problem was very much the same, except this time if I try to switch to "duplicate displays" the flashing stops for a second or two, my laptop display goes to low res and then it switches back to "extend displays" and my laptop display reverts back to flashing high res....

I will keep trying to play with it and post if I manage to become successful

Rowan 11-07-2012 07:51 AM

USB Display Adaptor not working with Windows 8

1 Attachment(s)
To support some action to get this problem resolved, since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 my USB 2.0 display adaptor has also stopped working, whilst all other USB connectivity through the adaptor (networking, audio and other USB devices) continue to work with Windows 8.

Attached are my diagnostic files as requested, so when are we likely to see an update on this issue????

Thanks in advance.

Wim 11-07-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronC (Post 8312)
When I previously uninstalled the software, I checked to ensure it really was gone by refreshing (and rebooting). But to leave no stone unturned, I retried today and did everything as described (which is what I did previously anyway). I got the same result with the flashing screen.

OK - the flashing screen is is a different issue, but also known. This is caused by a conflict between DisplayLink and the latest NVIDIA Windows 8 drivers, released by NVIDIA at the same time as we released our Win 8 driver.

The work around for now is to downgrade the NVIDIA graphics driver to an older version before installing DisplayLink software. This should solve the issue.

Wim

AaronC 11-07-2012 12:38 PM

I tried rolling back the NVidia driver, and it helped to stop the flashing screen issue, but now I just have a blank second screen. (note that this only applies to my usb screen, my vga output has always worked fine)

acarolipio 11-07-2012 02:43 PM

Having the same problem. Using Windows 8, Lenovo Laptop

1 Attachment(s)
Was using Windows 7 -> everything was fine. Installed Windows 8 -> Displaylink adapter does not work. The monitor works fine -> but no video.
Here is the files that support requests.
Thanks,
Aaron

Colzie 11-09-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 8316)
OK - the flashing screen is is a different issue, but also known. This is caused by a conflict between DisplayLink and the latest NVIDIA Windows 8 drivers, released by NVIDIA at the same time as we released our Win 8 driver.

The work around for now is to downgrade the NVIDIA graphics driver to an older version before installing DisplayLink software. This should solve the issue.

Wim

I also have an unusable dock. I've wasted days on this thing.

I have the flashing screen problem, and installing an old NVIDIA driver did nothing different.

When will an update be available, obviously you guys know this is a problem??

madisonjames 11-11-2012 11:44 AM

I am seeing the same issue...

Hardware:
•Dell Alienware m17x r4
•NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M (9.18.13.697)
•Intel HD Graphics 4000 (9.17.10.2817)
•Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking ◦http://tinyurl.com/c97pvqq

BIOS:
•A09

Issue:
•When attaching the Targus dock to any USB3.0 port the main laptop display just start blinking on and off, and will not stop until the device is disconnected. This issue occurred on the upgrade install of Windows 8, and a clean install. This issue does not happen on Windows 7 x64 Ent.

What I have tried:
•I have installed all the latest Video/DisplayLink drivers, which are all Windows 8 drivers.
•I have tried both an upgrade to Windows 8 and a clean install.
•I have rebooted the laptop several times, and have cycled the power on the Targus dock.

I have not found any information on this issue so it may be very new, and help would be greatly appreciated.

I have also tested my Lenovo T530 with Windows 8 and it has the same issue. The T530 is similar to the Alienware since both have Intel and NVIDIA cards.

Wim 11-12-2012 01:47 PM

Yes, we're aware of the issue with the NVIDIA drivers and compatibility with DisplayLink. We're working on a fix for this, but due to the way the NVIDIA driver is interacting, it's not an easy change.

Downgrading the NVIDIA graphics driver to an earlier version should work, however they are pushing out the newer version on Windows update, so as soon as you downgrade, Windows 8 might be helpfully upgrading it again for you.

Wim

Colzie 11-12-2012 03:40 PM

Can you provide a specific NVIDIA driver version that should work?

I'm okay with turning off Windows updates until an updated driver is available.

Here is a short video of the flashing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM-EPv7pIzQ