DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ubuntu 16.04.2 (kernerl 4.8) crash when I attach displaylink device (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65211)

MatsBrorsson 03-14-2017 09:11 AM

Ubuntu 16.04.2 (kernerl 4.8) crash when I attach displaylink device

I followed the instruction when installing the Ubuntu driver but the system crashes when I attach the displaylink device. I get a message that says:

The system is running in low-graphics mode
Your screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly . You will need to configure these yourself.

and then when I press OK (mouse has stopped working), another window appears with some options, but irrespective of choice of option, the system eventually crashes.

Help would be greatly appreciated. I am on a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop.

Thanks

Mats

9thDimension 05-09-2017 01:08 PM

Bump!

Maybe someone from DisplayLink would care to comment? Or simply acknowledge the existence of this bug?

mangojuice 05-11-2017 09:44 AM

I have the same issue, it was working fine until I upgrade kernel from 4.4 to 4.8.

Oily Wagg 05-14-2017 02:27 PM

Same here

I have the same crash. I have a Dell XPS 15 and the monitor I am attaching is a Dell P1914S. I've installed the Displaylink drivers (plus dkms) and pretty soon after I attach the monitor either using DisplayPort or DVI cables Ubuntu crashes. There is a vga port on the monitor and I will try that but I don't have the right converters at the moment.

mlukaszek 05-15-2017 08:25 AM

Which driver for the built-in graphics cards do you use? Logs would tell us more about your systems.

Cheers,
Michal

mlukaszek 05-15-2017 11:27 AM

Which driver for the built-in graphics cards do you use? Can you attach logs? Note that the driver does not officially support closed-source NVIDIA/AMD drivers, although there are some success stories where people made it work.

Cheers,
Michal

mangojuice 05-16-2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlukaszek (Post 83473)
Which driver for the built-in graphics cards do you use? Can you attach logs? Note that the driver does not officially support closed-source NVIDIA/AMD drivers, although there are some success stories where people made it work.

Cheers,
Michal

I am using nouveau driver and stil encounter this issue.

What kind of log do you need? X.org.log?

Oily Wagg 05-18-2017 04:23 PM

Happy to supply logs if you let me know which logs. I'm using whatever drivers ubuntu set up. I've done nothing special.

mvitorino 05-21-2017 01:39 PM

I have a similar problem: system always hard-crashes

1 Attachment(s)
Once I connect the displayport cable to the device, system crashes.

Ubuntu 16.04.2
Kernel 4.8.0-52-generic

Have a GeForce GTX 660M using Nouveu display driver.
Output of support tool attached.

user123 05-29-2017 09:21 AM

Having the same issue after updating to kernel 4.4.0-78-generic.

Running ubuntu 16.04.2 on dell XPS13 9360.

aaronloar 06-14-2017 11:54 PM

Same here

1 Attachment(s)
I am also having a similar problem. Rebooting with the displaylinks disconnected, Ubuntu 16.04.2 boots up fine. Connect the displaylink adapters, and it crashes X11.
I've attached the output from the support tool.

fac 06-19-2017 04:47 PM

Same issue here!
Ubuntu 16.04.2(kernel 4.8) It crashes as soon as i plug in the display link.

fac 06-19-2017 06:09 PM

Temporary solution

If you installed 16.04.02 you can probably boot using 4.4 kernel.

When booting up press shift to show GRUB. Then choose "Ubuntu with advanced options"(something like it) then on the list choose to boot with 4.4 generic.

It worked for me.

KSG402 06-21-2017 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is, roughly speaking, my experience on Ubuntu 16.04 (kernel 4.4). Initially my system went into low graphics mode whenever I plugged in the DL monitor. This stopped once I altered 20-displaylink.conf to use the "Intel" driver, but that instead caused the system to crash whenever I plugged in the monitor or clicked "Detect Displays" or opened Chrome or looked at it too hard. This is my current 20-displaylink.conf (which is based on a working setup from another user on this forum).

Code:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "Intel"
  Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
  Option "TearFree" "true"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
  Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
  Option "Tiling" "true"
  Option "Pageflip" "true"
  Option "ExaNoComposite" "false"
  Option "Tiling" "true"
  Option "Pageflip" "true"
EndSection

This eliminated the crashes, though X still gives me a load of crash reports on startup and the screen still isn't being detected anyway.

Attached is my system's output from the Displaylink Linux Support Tool. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

stevedonato 06-26-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oily Wagg (Post 83467)
I have the same crash. I have a Dell XPS 15 and the monitor I am attaching is a Dell P1914S. I've installed the Displaylink drivers (plus dkms) and pretty soon after I attach the monitor either using DisplayPort or DVI cables Ubuntu crashes. There is a vga port on the monitor and I will try that but I don't have the right converters at the moment.

I thought Display link drivers were only for USB monitors, not display port, or dvi connected? I have 3 dell i7 laptops with video connectory for display port, DVI and Hdmi running Linux Mint 17->18.3 Ubuntu Based 15->16 just plugging in the monitor to either of the ports with out any DisplayLink drivers, works. No special drivers are required that I know of. Am I missing something about DisplayLink?

Oily Wagg 07-11-2017 04:34 PM

I'm fixed

Updated kernel to 4.12 and then applied X11 config as in displaylink support