DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   CLOSED: Mac 1.8 Release (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   iphoto continously crashes after install (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1577)

mifiguer 03-19-2012 06:33 PM

iphoto continously crashes after install

1 Attachment(s)
So I have the DisplayLink Information Debugging tool and it created a zipfile with info on what happened. Prior to 1.8, it would at least display just couldn't zoom into a single picture. Reboot and disconnecting from USB displaylink adaptors, everything works fine on the default laptop screen. Funny thing is other apps like iMovie comes up without a problem. So, where do I send this zipfile?

Thanks,
Miguel

ChristianP 03-20-2012 05:19 PM

Thanks Miguel for your report. Could you please post here the iPhoto crash dump? It should be located in you ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/. Thanks

mifiguer 03-21-2012 04:16 AM

iphoto crash file

1 Attachment(s)
See attached.

Thanks,
Miguel

ChristianP 03-21-2012 07:29 AM

Thanks Miguel. It doesn't seems an OpenGL issue as I expected. Anyway just to be sure, have you tried to set the DisplayLink screen as primary, restart iPhoto and see if the problem is still there. Does the crash happen when you start a slideshow? We will try to replicate your issue. Thanks

mifiguer 03-22-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianP (Post 6226)
Thanks Miguel. It doesn't seems an OpenGL issue as I expected. Anyway just to be sure, have you tried to set the DisplayLink screen as primary, restart iPhoto and see if the problem is still there. Does the crash happen when you start a slideshow? We will try to replicate your issue. Thanks

Christian,

I first made sure that iphoto was not trying to run a slideshow (which it was trying to when it crashed by the way), reconnected all 3 monitors and rebooted and iphoto comes up fine until i try to run a slideshow and it does crash. Repeated the same and got it back to just events so at least it comes up and stays running. The only curious behavior is if i want to look at a single picture within an album, it just comes up blank. But as soon as i go back to my primary screen and disconnect the DisplayLink stuff, it works as expected.

Thanks,
Miguel

ChristianP 03-23-2012 02:37 PM

Thanks Miguel for your detailed report.
Ok, this behaviour sounds more an OpenGL issue.
I didn't get if you tried to set the DisplayLink screen (on which iPhoto is running) as primary. If not, could you please try to set it as primary, close and reopen iPhoto and try the slideshow or try to look at a single picture. It shouldn't crash. Thanks

mifiguer 03-23-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianP (Post 6266)
Thanks Miguel for your detailed report.
Ok, this behaviour sounds more an OpenGL issue.
I didn't get if you tried to set the DisplayLink screen (on which iPhoto is running) as primary. If not, could you please try to set it as primary, close and reopen iPhoto and try the slideshow or try to look at a single picture. It shouldn't crash. Thanks

Interesting, how would i do that on the Mac? Besides my macbook pro's own screen, I have 3 more external monitors and when I go into System Preferences -> Displays, there is no option for setting a primary.

Thanks,
Miguel

ChristianP 03-26-2012 08:25 AM

When you're in System Preferences -> Displays, select the arrangement tab. You should see the layout of your screens, shown as blue rectangles. Just drag the white bar at the top of the current primary screen to the rectangle representing the screen you want to set it as primary.

mifiguer 03-27-2012 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianP (Post 6275)
When you're in System Preferences -> Displays, select the arrangement tab. You should see the layout of your screens, shown as blue rectangles. Just drag the white bar at the top of the current primary screen to the rectangle representing the screen you want to set it as primary.

That's what I thought. Well it still crashes in slideshow mode. When not in slideshow mode, i am able to look at my events but when i want to view a single picture within any event, it's just a blank screen. I've attached screenshots. :D Let me know if there is anyway I can help to debug this including setting up a webex if needed. I really don't want to have to go back to working from just the laptop screen! :eek:

ChristianP 03-30-2012 10:11 AM

Ok, thanks Miguel. I double checked, we submitted a bug on this to Apple months ago. They are aware of the problem and we hope that Apple could fix this issue in the next iPhoto updates.