DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Error Code 31 with 8.2M0 on USB Monitor (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65288)

perlamoldovei 04-20-2017 05:41 PM

Error Code 31 with 8.2M0 on USB Monitor

1 Attachment(s)
Hello.
Last night my computer updated display link driver automatically.
This morning none of my 2 usb monitors (Philips C221S) worked and i haven't yet managed to solve the issue.
I tried removing the DisplayLink application and running the cleaning tool, deleting all plug and play hidden monitors and reinstalled different versions of the drivers (october, march april) but without any succes. For 10 seconds the monitors worked after installing the october driver but then they stopped.
Please find attached the logs. I need a quick resolution as i don't have any other monitor on my computer.
Thank you!

AlbanRampon 04-21-2017 02:31 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry to read you are experiencing issues with that driver.

Could you please try to "Roll Back Driver" from the Driver tab of the monitors in Device Manager under "Display adapters"? Do you have that option?
The driver has issues creating the display from the device, I can see from the logs.
Do you also have the issue when trying to connect only one display at a time?

I'm creating a bug report to have it looked at. After using the cleaner, can you try installing 8.0 M3 when disconnected from the Internet: does that work again? These will help me focus the investigation efforts to get an internal reproduction faster.

Kind regards,
Alban

My Ref - 25277 - Error Code 31 with 8.2M0 on USB2.0 Monitor PID_0395

jamesewoodbridge 04-21-2017 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I also experienced the same problem after windows update installed 8.2M1. Uninstalling, running the cleaner, and reinstalling 8.0M3 wihtout an internet connection resolved the issue. Reconnecting to the internet caused the screen to go black again (windows had surreptitiously installed 8.2), but rolling back to 8.0 once again fixed the problem.

Attached are my logs.

Regards,
James

AlbanRampon 04-21-2017 05:31 PM

Thank you both. I'm very sorry this is happening to you.

James, does the "roll back" stick, after 5 attempts?

I've submitted a driver removal request from Windows Update during the investigation but it takes time to process.
Reports did not indicate that Code 31 was widespread though as there were only 8 counts, non-persistent, cases before the general roll out but I'd rather remove it now.

Engineering is looking into it. If the first weren't, it would be helpful to get the "advanced logging" information for this case. The devices you have were reported to have a very particular failure and that's why the update was published on Windows Update. I'd like to know what went wrong so it doesn't happen again!

Kind regards,
Alban

AlbanRampon 04-21-2017 11:07 PM

Microsoft has helped me by approving the changes straight away.
The driver won't be distributed to you from Windows Update anymore.

We do still need to understand what took place though: if we don't get to the root cause, this is likely to happen again and I certainly don't want that!!!

May I start a support ticket with you to get to the bottom of this?
Kind regards,
Alban

perlamoldovei 04-22-2017 08:33 AM

Support ticket

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, definitely

The issue is a particular one as i have this model of monitor on 3 other different computers and, for now, there is no problem with them.

I uninstalled display link software, run the cleaning tool and installed v. 8.0.M3.

Monitors are working now.

Attached the logs.

AlbanRampon 04-24-2017 03:43 PM

Good afternoon,

Something which looks like a common theme here (common on less than 5 reports is not really that common though) is you are using a Windows 10 N version.

Would you mind trying to install 8.2 M0 and also install the Windows 10 Media Feature Pack? It is possible that a dependency on a DLL not present in your special version of Windows could be the reason why our driver doesn't start. I would like to check this hypothesis with you to see if we're looking at the right area to find a solution.

Kind regards,
Alban

AlbanRampon 04-25-2017 03:03 PM

Good afternoon,

We have been able to confirm the root cause last night, after reproducing locally.

The issue was coming from an unmet dependency.
The dependency is new in 8.2 and was introduced to support something new.

Windows "N" is a version of Windows without some files, not only without some applications.
Users of Windows 10 N can use 8.2 M0 and 8.2 M1 by installing the Windows Media Feature Pack.

Engineering is currently reviewing the dependency and alternative methods of trying to use it.

Kind regards,
Alban

perlamoldovei 04-28-2017 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed Windows Media Feature Pack (not the x64 one because it said it was not compatible with my os) and then driver 8.2 M1 and monitors do not work. Attached the logs.

AlbanRampon 05-02-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perlamoldovei (Post 83371)
I installed Windows Media Feature Pack (not the x64 one because it said it was not compatible with my os) and then driver 8.2 M1 and monitors do not work. Attached the logs.

Strange, your system reports to be x64:
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro N (x64-based PC), No Service Pack, English

Can you search the computer for "mfplat.dll". The install of the media pack might have not been successful?

I'm expecting a development build of 8.2 M2 early next week to be able to validate the change in our driver with you.

Kind regards,
Alban