View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
dearnest

Default NVIDIA DRIVERS and Displaylink

I've been chasing this problem all day and found a solution, so I'm posting it. Displaylink had been working great (Win 7 Home Prem) until I installed a NVIDIA FX3800, an older GPU, but with the latest drivers 310.70. I thought all was well, but then started noticing that when closing Internet explorer or Live Mail, the Desktop Windows Manager would crash. And then I noticed the DWM would crash on reboot. I did all the narrowing down of conflicts using msconfig, etc. and narrowed it to the Displaylink driver. If it was on, DWM would crash. Off, all was well. I tried all versions of the Displaylink drivers going back to 5.6 and on. Nothing helped. Then I found a post on a two year old NVIDIA discussion about newer NVIDIA drivers conflicting with Displaylink. They recommended rolling back the NVIDIA drivers to version 258.96. I was a little concerned because Pro Tools recommended having the most recent NVIDIA drivers. But I uninstalled the 310.70 drivers and installed the 258.96 drivers and all is well. No conflicts. Conclusion: work needs to be done on someones side to resolve the conflicts. Cheers!
dearnest is offline   Reply With Quote