View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

You are touching two different parts. What the standard allows and what works!
These are not necessarily identical. Many phones will charge whilst being host.

I wouldn't be concerned about temperature. A device sold has to be qualified and tested.

I'm surprised about the feedback about the hub and OTG cable.
I can plug my OnePlus 3T on a dock using DisplayLink technology and I not only get my external cloned display, I also get the same keyboard and mouse working as I use on Windows 10, without changing any cabling.
I can also mount a USB flash drive via an OTG cable, but I find it quicker to go through WiFi due to the USB 2.0 speed that phone offers.

DisplayPort over Alternate Mode and USB Power Delivery are not standard USB traffic and therefore are not required on a USB-C connector. Only USB is a requirement on a USB-C connector.

In theory, there's nothing blocking Qi charging in parallel to being a USB Host. In practice, I doubt you will find any phone spec telling you about this: Android is just starting to get to terms with using the phone as a primary compute device (what you're trying to do). All that already works out of the box on Chrome OS (our driver is in all Chrome OS images)
The Dash Charge OnePlus offers today doesn't go through USB hubs or adapters. They want to make sure you use their cable which can handle the high current. As far as I know, it is not a standard as they re-purpose a USB 3.0 pin 7 for their cable detection.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote