View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #53
Domdus

Default Possibly found a temporay workaround/fix for lagging

Hi all,

I'm following this thread since the lag & high load issues started with the Win 10 Anniversary Update and still waiting for the solution.

I have the same mouse lag (= screen update lag) that has been reported by others, and it especially appears when I launch my eclipse development environment or watch youtube videos etc. on the Displaylink screen.

Now the lag fix for me was the processes priority:

In the task manager, I go to services and I always see a single WUDFHost.exe, which behaves completely normal and has a process priority set to HIGH by default it seems.

As soon as the Displaylink monitor is attached I have a second WUDFHost.exe process in the task manager, so 2 in total.
This second "new" one always uses a lot more RAM than the first (40 - 50 MB) and causes high CPU load depending on the Displaylink screen changes.
Now I changed the proccess priority for this one from default NORMAL to HIGH and the mouse lag (screen update lag) was gone completely.

Note this does not lower the CPU load or something, but there is simply no screen lag any longer.
I hope this works for someone else.

Keep in mind that the task manager keeps this information only for the current session, the priority setting is back to normal at the next start of windows. There are some tools and command line scripts or batch jobs to trigger this for each startup.

#UPDATE#
Setup: Dell XPS 13 9350 + FHD Monitor (USB Displaylink) + FHD Monitor (USB C/HDMI via DA200)

Best Regards

Last edited by Domdus; 02-15-2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Setup Info