View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #128
Blastyr

I could apologize in advance for the hostility that will probably come across in the tone of this post, but it wouldn't be sincere. It is clear to me that DisplayLink has no concern for the exploding demographic of users who run Linux, and therefore I'm not concerned with being polite. I will, however, keep my language in check, as I'd prefer it read rather than deleted.

I switched to Linux as my primary OS in 2008, and I've never looked back. Over time, I've been extricating myself from Windows entirely. It's no longer installed as a host OS (not even dual-boot) on any of my machines, and if I didn't need to test on multiple platforms (I'm a developer), I wouldn't even keep it around in a VM. It is (sans the testing bit) wholly unnecessary for anything I do - work or play. I have Steam with an ever-growing library of games (not to mention the games that are just plain native [thanks, Humble Bundle]), a web browser, LibreOffice for those trying times when I have to interact with someone living in the past, my entire toolchain for work, teleconferencing with Google Hangouts...and multiple displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
[...] As the Linux community hasn't adopted multiple displays [...]
What planet do you live on? I and three of my coworkers use Linux all day at work with three displays each. Two on Debian using Gnome, one on Ubuntu using Unity, and myself on Linux Mint using Cinnamon. In all cases, hotplugging these displays and configuring them took literally seconds. I know many dozens of others that use Linux, and the overwhelming majority of them do so with more than one display (six, in one case). So, when you state that Linux users don't use multiple displays, you're either being blatantly ignorant or deliberately untruthful. In either case, you should just shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
[...] or created "easy to use" DisplayLink drivers for the DL-1x5 chips, justifying the work we would have to do to enable DL-3xxx support on Linux is difficult. So if you want to help show there is demand for DL-3xxx Linux drivers, making drivers stable and easy to use for the DL-1x5 family and showing demand for these USB 2.0 products on Linux first would be the catalyst to get DL-3xxx family support on Linux. [...]
This is absolutely the most backwards way of thinking I've ever heard. Open-source is not about getting other people to write your code for you, but I suspect you know that and are just trying to get the community to do it for you anyway. I'm gonna go ahead and point out that it's very likely that the reason there's so little interest in Linux support for the DL-3xxx series is precisely because there's no support. Your product doesn't do anything compelling to make us want to use it because when we plug it in, it literally doesn't do anything compelling (or at all). You've proven you don't care to support us, so we've moved on.

I'll be physically breaking this waste of $100 to vent some of my anger, and then disposing of it. Goodbye, and good riddance.