View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
abufrejoval

Default USB-C charging, SentIO, Qi?

Before reading this answer, I was always under the impression that the lack of USB charging support for Android devices was a mere software issue, that would get ironed out, because there was a "currently" somewhere in the text...

How I understand it's a hardware issue, yet SentIO is selling a DisplayLink based solution, that is supposed to offer USB charge...

So I guess, that means it might work with whatever phone/tablet supports "full" USB-C specs, right?

And that might be practically nobody, true?

I have been hunting for a solution which allows me to use my smartphone as a desktop replacement/thin client for many years. Evidently the industry is hell-bent at making that impossible (Microsoft? RU behind this?)

My first Androids actually simply had HDMI ports, but that went "out of fashion" really quick.

Then came MHL and I even bought a docking station for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, only to notice that this dock was only USB 2 (the Note hat something that physically looked USB 3, but wasn't), no USB Ethernet (required for security) worked with the Samsung ROMs, which also sucked at DPI scaling for external displays, while custom ROMs solved the Ethernet and DPI scaling issues, but lost MHL functionality for lack of an open source driver for the MHL chip (gotcha!).

Got a USB 3 Pluggable DisplayLink Adapter (UGA-4KHDMI) to see if that would provide a solution, and that works kinda nice, even with USB 2 bandwidths, but since the adapter gets hotter than the phone, I'm afraid to leave it connected for more than minutes.

Attempts to connect the Pluggable Adapter via a powered USB 3 hub failed, I guess now because "OTG mode" isn't passed through the hub: I guess needless to say that the Aukey "competition" (where DisplayPort(?) is passed through USB-C connectors) failed, because the "USB-C" connectors on my Snapdragon 820 (LeEco Le Max2) and 835 (OnePlus 5) phones were really just USB 2.0 with a fancy new physical design.

So I guess the current best possible solution involves buying a self powered DisplayLink hub, which at least doesn't drain the phone via USB while I somehow try to keep the phone's battery alive via a Qi charger?

Would Qi disable when I connect a OTG USB device (another "desktop avoidance feature"?)

So why again can I not use an USB Ethernet adapter, which works when connected directly to the phone when I move it to a DisplayLink docking station? What about USB 3 storage?
abufrejoval is offline   Reply With Quote