View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Chuckv

Default Works fine for me on an ATen dual DVI switchbox

I'm running a 15" circa 2011 Macbook Pro, a 24" Samsung Syncmaster as my primary off the mini-display port, the Macbook pro to the right of that on a 3M LX550 vertical laptop stand, and a Monoprice labeled DisplayLink adaptor ("MS-UG19D1" '1920x1200' model) that is driving a Dell 2005FPW in portrait mode to the left of the main display. The DL is actually running off of a powered USB hub(linksys)

Everything above is switched between my Desktop PC system with ATI Radion 5770 card, using an ATEN CS1642 "USB 2.0 DVI Dual View KVMP switch" which is a two 'system' switch that has dual DVI ports for both systems. So the DVI output from the MiniDP adaptor and the DVI output from the DisplayLink are both running into the KVM, along with a USB connection for the mouse and keyboard.

So far the only issue I have is that my wireless mouse seems to hesitate a bit now and then (might just need to relocate the receiver) Video switches just fine between the two systems, and the quality of the display images is also good.

The ATEN switchbox is not cheap (around $300) but it comes with cables and has so far been pretty solid (and got great reviews), there are a few cheaper dual DVI boxes to be found, but they come sans cables and the reviews indicate a number of problems with things getting out of sync. For anyone wanting to switch between two systems using dual monitors, I'd recommend this switchbox.

I did have to update to the 'alpha' driver as with Lion 10.7.3 and your release driver I was not able to run the Dell2005FPW rotated into portrait mode (it would switch, but the display was garbled, monitor seemed to have issues even trying to sync up). The alpha driver took care of that problem. Although I had to use the CMD-OPT-click_displays trick to get it to show me the rotation control for the Dell.. which is strange, you would think it would KNOW that display features rotation, but huh, guess not)

I'll update if I notice any problems after reboots etc, but so far it is solid and I am happy.