View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
richard_f

Default Windows 10 Creators Update can't detect monitor connected via HDMI on a Dell D3100

I have a new Dell Inspiron 7378 that I purchased a Dell USB 3.0 model D3100 docking station for. The drivers from the Dell website wouldn't install, so I downloaded and installed 8.2.1638.0 from displaylink.org and installed that instead. No errors on installation. Ethernet, audio and USB connectors work fine, but when I connect an external monitor via either of the HDMI ports Win 10 can't detect it. When I plug the same monitor into the HDMI port on the laptop itself it's detected immediately and the image replicates to it.

In device manager I noticed that the display drivers for the dock all had errors - failed to load. In reading through the threads here I saw one discussing a USB issue with Win 10 1607 that indicated that you needed to be running Win 10 Creators Update to resolve. I did that update without errors, so I'm now running Win 10 Pro 10.0.15063. If it matters, the Laptop uses the Intel HD Video 620 chipset and the driver is up to date and working.

The good news is that the display drivers for the dock now show as working. The bad news is that Windows still can't detect the external monitor when plugged into the docks HDMI ports. I also do not see a service running for Displaylink Manager, but it does show up as a process in taskman and it runs in my system tray.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the 8.2 driver package with and still can't detect the external monitor. Audio, ethernet and USB ports on the dock still work.

I can continue to run the single external monitor by connect it directly to the laptop and bypassing the dock, but that means I can't add a second external monitor, which was one big reason I got the docking station.

I have attached my log files from the support tool. Any suggestions on what to try next? I am starting to wonder if this is a hardware issue and if I should just get a replacement dock. I bought it from Amazon and am still in the 30 day return window.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WINDOWS-REAA4CF_20170423_141040.zip (1,000.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by richard_f; 04-24-2017 at 01:58 PM.
richard_f is offline   Reply With Quote