View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
GTM

The monitor being used is an Acer P221W, and I'm using the VGA input because the external TV tuner is a VGA-only device.

I don't believe log files are going to help at all in this case because the external TV tuner is a stand-alone device that sits between the UD-3900 and the monitor. Since it requires no installation in Windows whatsoever (no drivers, etc), Windows does not even know that it's there. Any log files generated by the UD-3900 can't possibly contain information about the TV tuner because the UD-3900 also does not know that the TV tuner is there (for the same reason that Windows doesn't know it's there). Unless there is some kind of feedback to the UD-3900 about the video signal at the monitor's input (which seems highly unlikely), the UD-3900 simply outputs the video signal as it should, and the monitor perfectly displays all video information coming from the laptop only AND the video signal coming from the TV tuner only (when the TV tuner is set to 'full-screen' mode). The problem occurs only when the TV tuner is set to display the TV signal in the small always-on-top window, where it has to "merge" the video signal from the laptop with the TV video signal.

The TV tuner undoubtedly does some sort of digital signal processing, but it does this INTERNALLY after it converts both the analog VGA signal from the laptop and the analog TV signal from the 75-ohm cable to digital signals. It then converts the digitally-processed signal back to analog VGA to output to the monitor. It does all of this on its own, without the knowledge of Windows (and thus without the knowledge of the laptop or the UD-3900).

I'm thinking that something about the video signal from the UD-3900's DisplayLink chip is slightly different than the video signal from the video card in the desktop that I previously used the TV tuner with (with no problems in any mode). Can you give me any details about the video signal that's output by the DisplayLink chip in the UD-3900, e.g. what specific video standard(s) does it meet, what version of those standard, etc?
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote