View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Doodles

Default Installing DisplayLink breaks Windows Explorer

Help!

In summary, I'm unable to intall my Mimo UM-720S on a Windows 7 64-bit system without breaking Windows Explorer. I've seen a couple of other threads about this happening. Does anyone know why it gets broken and if there's a fix?

I can't run my system without Windows Explorer, so this is a showstopper for me.

To add to my difficulty, sometimes the driver install appears to hang. I've left it for up to 20 minutes before killing it. It doesn't seem to be looping. Is there an install log I can view to see what it's trying to do when it hangs?

Details:

I recently bought a Mimo UM-720S, but am struggling to install it. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on an Acer Revo R3610 (Dual core Atom 330 + NVIDIO ION graphics). After numerous attempts (each followed by system restore), and reading the FAQ and forum, I'm still getting nowhere.

The primary problem is that, although I can install the device and it seems to work, Windows Explorer gets broken in the process. (The "broken" Windows Explorer will start, but most opeartions, such as scrolling through a folder, result in the message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" followed by "Windows Explore is Restaring".) I have to do a sysem restore to fix it - uninstall of the DisplayLink software does not fix Windows Explorer.

The problem is eported in a couple of forum threads. One says ity is fixed in a later release. I haven't found this.

I have now tried installing through Windows install (which installs the drivers from Mimo and not from DisplayLink, installing 5.2.23219.0 from 27 Jan 2010) and then installing 5.4 downloaded from the DisplayLink web site. This did update the drivers, but leaves Windows Explorer broken.

After a system restore, I tried installing 5.4 before plugging the device in, as described in the User Guide .pdf. However, since Windows 7 installs from Mimo, it doesn't see I already have DisplayLink installed, and overwrites it with 5.2, again breaking Windows Explorer.

Next, I installed through Windows install again, but this time refused the licence agreement - so 5.2 did not get installed. At this point, Windows Explorer was not broken. I then installed 5.4. Sadly, Windows Explorer was broken.

I've tried the 5.5 beta, but this failed to install. I will try again but don't hold out much hope.

Can anyone help, please?

Last edited by Doodles; 10-25-2010 at 03:21 PM.