Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
ginit

Default After update to Win 10 build 10586.164 drivers not compatible

Hi,

windows update update my laptop to Win 10 build 10586.164 and now my displaylink usb 2 hdmi does not work, I have installed the latest drivers but still shows the error "driver is not compatible with your version of windows"

Also, I have disabled the Nvidia graphic card of my dual graphic card.

What can I do
ginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I can see several reasons for that.
It could be, for instance, that your graphics card doesn't meet the Windows 10 requirements.
Or it could be that what is installed on your machine is an old version.
Would you please look at my forum signature to generate the logs files so I can see what is the most likely reason and advise on something to try?

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Rheco

Hi,

I have had exactly the same issue this morning.

I previously bought the doc about 3 months ago and used the disc to install the drivers. Everything worked perfectly and I was incredibly happy with it.

Last night, after work my laptop decided to run windows update, which is quite normal with Windows 10! I then shut it down and left it for the night. This morning, I power on my laptop to find an Ethernet connection, but absolutely no display coming from my connection.

I have tried EVERYTHING. I tried the clean install with the tool. I tried VARYING combinations of the Windows software for Display Link - of which mainly only M0 worked. For some reason, It said I had the wrong type of OS when attempting to install M3, M2 etc.?

I even tried completely uninstalling my USB drivers and getting a fresh install on windows restart to see if it was a Windows 10 USB driver update that caused an issue - still with no joy.

Either way, I have attached my logs in MASSIVE hope there is something I have missed, because I quite simply need my additional monitors for my work.

Many Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip MSI_20160310_132444.zip (1.46 MB, 3 views)
Rheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Hi Rheco,

I'm a bit puzzled by the report of the versions not being working on your computer. Would you have a screenshot of the error message so I can see the exact wording against our code base.

The current status of your machine cannot work. I'll start with why, and then will go on to suggest how to recover.

1. What's going on
You have the peripheral driver files from 7.9 M5. That's normal as Microsoft made 7.9 M5 Critical on Windows Update.
However, for unknown reasons, the software you use has both 7.9 M0 and 7.9 M5 libraries. We've changed a few things between these and they cannot talk to each other. So no pixel sent to the dock.
NVidia changed the way their drivers work in October and we need to work hand in hand with them. Therefore you cannot use 7.9 M0 with an NVidia driver from October 2015 onwards.

2. Yeah, but how do I fix this mess?
- The first step is to disconnect your Targus dock and keep it disconnected until specified.
- Use Add/Remove programme to remove DisplayLink drivers
- Use the End User Cleaner
- Reboot. This step is necessary as Windows doesn't touch graphics drivers when running.
- Download 7.9 M5, and just not to have Windows Update interfering, cut all network connections. It's probably not necessary... but Windows should have done the job right the first time, and it does, otherwise Microsoft would not have put the update as Critical (they use installation success).
- Install 7.9 M5 and, only when asked, connect your Targus docking station.
- Wait for the drivers to be associated
- Reboot once again, for the same reasons.
- Do you have pixels now? If you don't may you please send me a new set of logs so I can see what's new?

Many thanks,
Alban

Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
Rheco

Hi arampon,

I have attached the screenshot with the error message I received.

Because of the stated issue with the 7.9 M5 installation issues, I am unable to try your solution sadly.

Additionally, you mention:

'- Do you have pixels now? If you don't may you please send me a new set of logs so I can see what's new?'

I never had issues with pixels, the issue I have is that my monitors, which are connected to my Dock with an HDMI cable and DVI cable are bot picked up, but my ethernet connection from my docking station to my laptop is.

Hope all of this helps a bit more? and thank you for the information.

I am looking forward to your response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (15.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Would you please be able to right click on the .exe, go to details, and then tell me what the "File version" field says?

I don't see why it talks about "upgrades" when you have used the cleaner to remove the current installation. And it looks different than what I am expecting.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

I forgot to mention that your only graphics card working is an nvidia.
You can see that in system_details.txt
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M (NVIDIA)
Graphics Driver: 10.18.13.6200 Dated 2016/02/23

I don't see any other graphics card in the Device Manager (DevManView.html) but the nvidia is connected and not disabled.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
Rheco

Hey,

It actually gives exactly the same error message on both types of installation. If I try to fresh install and or if I try to upgrade from one of the versions that actually installs.

I am not quite sure what your other post means? I understand that the only Video Card I have is the Nvidia one, should this make any difference?

The requested information is:

File Version: 7.9.1505.0
Old 03-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

The initial post it was written "Also, I have disabled the Nvidia graphic card of my dual graphic card." and "the graphics don't work".
You said I have exactly the same... So I assumed you had the same all the way.

Pixels are displayed on a monitor. Do you have pixels displayed or you don't? Would you please be able to reformulate your sentence explaining what works and what doesn't?

I don't believe the issue is with our installer. That driver is available from Windows 10 Windows Update as a Critical update. For Microsoft to decide to put a driver as critical, it must first pass a certain number of successful installation with a max number of failures allowed.
Of course, we also run that installer in our offices and during tests... And you'll see many people running it.

On top of this your setupapi.dev.log shows it is installing 7.9.1488.0 (which is the driver within 7.9.1505.0 installer) on Section start 2016/03/10 12:56:05.216... So I'm a wee bit puzzled.

That leads me to believe the issue is local.
I would like to suggest you check the executable is not ran in a compatibility mode. That your hard drive is not corrupted as it could corrupt the installer file you download.
You could also try downloading the installer with another browser or try on another Windows 10 machine to make sure your local security software didn't unilaterally decide to block stuff.

I'll talk with colleagues tomorrow. Everyone is home at that time here!

Old 03-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
Rheco

Quote:
The initial post it was written "Also, I have disabled the Nvidia graphic card of my dual graphic card." and "the graphics don't work".
You said I have exactly the same... So I assumed you had the same all the way.

Pixels are displayed on a monitor. Do you have pixels displayed or you don't? Would you please be able to reformulate your sentence explaining what works and what doesn't?
My apologies, let me re-state the issue.

I have two monitors connected to my Docking Station. They are connected with a HDMI cable and a DVI cable. Also connected to my doc is the power cord, an Ethernet Cable and the USB Cable that connects to my laptop.

When the USB cable is connected, normally I would receive a LAN connection AND both the displays extended to my two monitors. But AFTER the Windows update, the two monitors are no longer receiving a signal. They are quite simply Black (no signal). They are Black because after a period of time without any signal them, they return to a hibernation state. But as soon as they receive a signal again, the pick it up and display it.

So as you can see, LAN works, but Display does not.

Quote:
I don't believe the issue is with our installer. That driver is available from Windows 10 Windows Update as a Critical update. For Microsoft to decide to put a driver as critical, it must first pass a certain number of successful installation with a max number of failures allowed.
Of course, we also run that installer in our offices and during tests... And you'll see many people running it.
I never had any assumption it was local or not, was your installer or not. All I would like to know is IF I am able to resolve it with your help I never stated that my faith in Microsofts roll out process was bad or your internal checks, I quite simply state that it does not work and it does not work after the last Windows update as stated above. There were no other changes in the 3 days approaching that update.

Quote:
On top of this your setupapi.dev.log shows it is installing 7.9.1488.0 (which is the driver within 7.9.1505.0 installer) on Section start 2016/03/10 12:56:05.216... So I'm a wee bit puzzled.
I am also puzzled, sadly. As I have NO idea what you are referring to, would you please explain this a bit more?

Quote:
That leads me to believe the issue is local.
I would like to suggest you check the executable is not ran in a compatibility mode. That your hard drive is not corrupted as it could corrupt the installer file you download.
You could also try downloading the installer with another browser or try on another Windows 10 machine to make sure your local security software didn't unilaterally decide to block stuff.
I would agree that it is quite probably local. Although I have done the above, the one thing I have not done is use a different browser to download. I shall attempt that again this morning and come back to you.

Thanks

Tags
win-10-build-10586.164