Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #51
tkkaisla

Default We need linux support ASAP

We need linux support for DL-3000 series soon as possible. We living now year 2013 and these days linux support for this type of product is must have. I am so disapointed for DisplayLink because lack of linux support.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #52
mikus

Agreed this is disappointing as well. I only use linux, and trying to find a decent solution that doesn't have refresh issues under linux would be quite welcome. I know other users that require the same support for theirs as well professionally, but the 3.0 adapters remain unsupported.

At some point the hardware manufacturers have to look at the usefulness of the hdcp protection and admit it's thus been defeated in any number of ways to even bother with media company demands. Linux has no drm, or mostly goes against its nature to do so, but will you simply shun an entire market of even server potential?

It'd be huge to have a seamless video solution for linux over usb for desktop or even server room use for crash-cart ability. Auto-spawn x on a new display for repair ability ala vesa if needed.

I drive 6 displays seamlessly with an ati card now at home, but work is a problem with a corporate laptop that supports only 2. Two displays is a... hindrance. I'd love to use the 3.0 usb bus to add a few displays using linux there too.

It *is* 2013, and people do use linux every day now. Please implement a support team for it already. Certainly there would be eager developers available to help both community and paid services.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #53
FunkyMonkeyMonk

Default Wrapper

Hello,

While native drivers would be the ideal means of support, until this is possible would the community be able to create a wrapper like the ndiswrapper, for those of us used to working with the old broadcom chipsets. Has this option been explored? Is there anything that would prevent this? I haven't done much work with drivers but I'm willing to contribute time and code if someone more familiar with the process can help guide me.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #54
brycenesbitt

Default Free Hardware can Help

Free hardware goes a long way in the Linux community. If DisplayLink could seed some to the distribution vendors, who could in turn parcel them out to developers... that could be the right route to full Linux support.

I'd argue the USB3.0/DRM chips should be a 2nd priority, after getting all the legacy DisplayLink devices working smoothly (plug and play) on typical distributions like Ubuntu.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #55
luiset83

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycenesbitt View Post
Free hardware goes a long way in the Linux community. If DisplayLink could seed some to the distribution vendors, who could in turn parcel them out to developers... that could be the right route to full Linux support.

I'd argue the USB3.0/DRM chips should be a 2nd priority, after getting all the legacy DisplayLink devices working smoothly (plug and play) on typical distributions like Ubuntu.
Pluggable has a seeding program that devs can apply to here:
http://plugable.com/projects/plugabl...amples-program

While I have not tried it yet w/ my old DL-195 device, another poster here mentioned Fedora 18 and Ubuntu 13.04 both support Plug&Play for these older devices. I did upgrade my laptop to Ubuntu 13.04 Beta 2 a few days ago to be able to connect reliably to my university's wireless network, so I will update this post when I try it out myself.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
Lautr

I bought the Lenovo USB 3.0 Port Replicator together with my carbon x1, quite disappointed that there is no linux support at all for your chipset
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #57
Per Mors Jakobsen

Unhappy Displaylink drivers for Ubuntu

I was just wondering, is all this only for show?

Are nobody from displaylink screening these forums?
As far as i can see there has been no response what so ever from display link..

I find this sad..
Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #58
pythonholum

Default A Community Based usb graphic display

If they are not interested in writting a linux based driver for it, We could try to get a community based open hardware solution out there? I mean if we look at something like the beaglebone black, That has a usb client port, ethernet, hdmi ( And even runs linux its self ) We could use some existing protochal ( X2Go, vnc or something like that ) and get it up and running probably and have the total hardware cost be $50, Just a thought
Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #59
bachi

Angry No Linux drivers in 2013? C'mon!

It seems really unbelieveable that this company is not able to provide Linux drivers for its products, in 2013! About every other brand has managed that. Today even on the ISS Windows is replaced with Linux and they still are not able to solve this or are too lazy and wait for whoever could do the job for them. Wake up! Spend some bucks and see how many Linux users will gladly buy your products!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #60
rese

Default No hope for USB 3.0 docking station and Ubuntu then?

Dear all
reading from the posts, it looks like there is no hope to make a docking station USB 3.0 work with a laptop and Ubuntu (13.04)?

Is that really true or is there is hope that this would be solved and if yes on what timescale (best guess?)?

Thanks for any input here: I have bought two docking stations for my Dell XPS13 and it seems that I may have to return both of these to Dell...
Closed Thread