Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Ultroman

Thanks for your speedy reply! I really do appreciate it

OK, a few answers right away:

Each of the percentages I've mentioned, were an average over all cores. So 28% means that all cores were at 28%.

When I said the temperature rose instantly, I meant after about 2-3 seconds. My temperature measuring program (SpeedFan) has an update rate of about 2-3 seconds. When it hits 95 degrees, the fan speeds up over a few seconds, until it is at peak speed.

I think the fast temperature increase may come from the fact, that on most laptops the GPU and CPU share a heatsink and fan. So the small fan already has a lot on its plate. But since it has just been cleaned, and it's only about 6 months old, and we've never seen it shut down from temperature-related problems before, I doubt it's the laptops fault.

I understand that the video-stream has to be compressed for transfer, which I can see eats about 1-2% of the CPU (which I completely understand; I can see the change between having the monitor in the docking station and having it directly in the laptop), but I did not expect it to spike 20% when I move the mouse. I mean, the picture is constantly changing when playing the game, or if I'm in Windows using the keyboard, but it doesn't care about that. No no; moving the mouse is what makes it "turn up to 11". And as I said, if I put the screen cable directly into the computer, then the mouse does not make it go crazy. The mouse is a Logitech with the newest drivers.

Btw, I am using the newest DisplayLink driver 7.9M5.

I will create some logs tomorrow, and post them here. I think I'll record a video on my phone (so I won't use the CPU for it), to show you SpeedFan's measurings. I'll put it on my private Youtube-channel and send you a link.
Ultroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpu, heat, mouse