Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
barrett

Default USB 2.0 to VGA DisplayLink on Fedora combination

I own a Lenovo T430s that is running RHEL 6.3. I have the standard VGA port plugged into a monitor working well. I have the mini-DP port plugged into a DP to VGA adaptor and that is working well too. So two monitors are hooked up and working great. However, I have a 3rd monitor that I would like to use.

So I purchased a C2G USB 2.0 to VGA DisplayLink adaptor. For the life of me I can't seem to get it to work. On the native RHEL 6.3 that is running on the laptop, the lsusb sees the device. But googling around I've read nothing good about getting this to work on RHEL 6.3.

So I figured I would try VirtualBox. I don't own Windows, but right now Microsoft is offering a pre-view of Windows 8.1. So I tried that. From what I can tell the VirtualBox VM at least tries to work. The second head appears on the DisplayLink attached monitor, but when you click in the workspace the mouse freezes and then Windows 8.1 freezes.

But that at least tells me the hardware is seeing the device. So I try Fedora 19 in a VirtualBox. I notice that when the machine boots or shuts down it is displaying to the DisplayLink attached monitor. I also noticed that when I control-FN key to switch Linux consoles, that all the Linux console appear on the DisplayLinkk attached monitor. Even if I type startx commands in that terminal login on the DisplayLink attached monitor, it starts the Xsession on the other monitor.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Should a VirtualBox Fedora work?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rhel fedora usb vga