Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release

Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
nunzig

Default Mirroring display with laptop

Hi chaps

Just received our first display link device. it is model: WS-UG17H2.

Installed the driver it shipped with (1.6b3) on a MacBook (2Ghz core duo running 10.5.8)

All worked first time (yay!) however.... We are planning to run this display in 'clamshell' mode as a presentation machine.

So, i opened display prefs, set the external hdmi display to 1920 x 1080, and then set the displays to mirror. I then shut the display.

I pressed the mouse to 'wake' the laptop up..it makes the usual noises (polls the DVD drive) but nothing on the HDMI display.

So I assume the machine has not 'woken' however when i open the screen, it has been dutifully accepting my mouse presses and key strokes (i had a text edit document open!)

Assuming it was a driver issue, i downloaded the latest beta (1.7b5...hence my post here). Same problem.
A few forum users reported closing the lid and pulling the usb cable out and reconnecting it when it is shut...tried it, but it didn't work here!

Interestingly we have been using this same machine using a DVI to HDMI adaptor for a few months and it works fine (we are only moving to HDMI to get audio out as well) so I am pretty sure the machine is working OK...but happy to be corrected.

OK, so that's all I have.

Does any one out there have any suggestions on how or why this may not be working? Or what else i could try?

Any and all feedback or suggestions are welcome.

ciao for now.

nunz
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
ChristianP

Could you please use the debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269, reproduce the issue in lid mode, collect the logs after opening the lid and post the output file?
Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
nunzig

Hi Christian

Thnx for jumping in with this.

I have run the diagnostic tool as you suggested. Here is what i did:

- Uninstalled any Display link drivers (using the uninstall tool)
- Restart
- Installed 1.7b5
- Ran Diagnostic tool and 'cleared logs'
- Set the tool to verbose mode
- Collected the logs. This log is in the 'before error' folder
- Closed the lid

- attempted to 'wake' the computer using the space bar...apple lit up briefly on the lid of the laptop, and the DVD drive was polled, but the display did not activate.

- attempted to access laptop using Apple Remote Desktop (Apples VNC). It reported it was 'sleeping' and issuing the 'wake' command had the same effect as pressing the space bar.

- Opened the lid. Pressing the space bar had registered as it was showing a 'preview' of the currently selected folder (see attached picture).

- Ran the diagnostic tool again, set it to verbose and collected the logs. These logs are in the 'after error' folder.

I hope this helps you get to the bottom of it!

ciao for now

nunz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	520  
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Logs.zip (554.3 KB, 987 views)
Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
nunzig

Further to this... when i disconnect the USB port connecting the Display link device and reconnect the SONY display to the DVI to HDMI adaptor, then shut the lid and 'wake' the laptop, the laptop wakes up and the screen is detected.

So the device CAN drive an external screen with the LID shut, via the DVI port... but is having issues when waking up and trying to display via the USB port. (and yes, i have tried both USB ports on this device)

thnx again

ciao
Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
ChristianP

Thanks for the complete logs. We'll check them and try to reproduce your issue.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
ChristianP

Sorry, I didn't realised reading your report the first time, but the problem is that for clamshell mode to work with a DisplayLink device you must also have a directly attached monitor to your laptop (internal dvi or displayport). On 10.5 this problem seems a limitation on the OS and it can't be solved. On Lion things are changed a bit, but not solved completely.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
nunzig

Hi Christian

thanks for the followup. So Do you mean i need to have a display connected to the laptop via the DVI port (even though it is not turned on) and ALSO a device connected to the Display link device? I might be able to use an alternate input on the TV to 'trick' the computer to think the DVI is connected.

Will try this out and see how i go.

thnx again.

ciao

nunz
Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
nunzig

Hi Christian

I can confirm this is now working. The device will wake and sleep correctly, when connected to a spare VGA input on the TV.

I am using a DVI to VGA adaptor on the macbook and the now displays video (and streams audio ) through the USB port to the HDMI output.

thnx for the help.

ciao

nunz