Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 11-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
Wim

OK - it looks like we are reproducing the issue people are having with uninstall/reinstall. It appears that if you try and uninstall DisplayLink Core Software, it looks like its uninstalled, but if you press F5 to refresh the Programs list, it is still there.

If you try and uninstall again, then it should disappear this time. If not, try uninstalling the "DisplayLink graphics" package and see if that works... Basically, don't reboot and try and install again until "DisplayLink Core software" and "DisplayLink graphics" have both disappeared from Programs - even when you press F5 to refresh.

I think this is why some of you are still having issues.

Sorry about this... I can understand it's a big pain. I'm now off to sacrificially burn some engineers responsible for this screw up and make sure it's fixed in the next release in a few weeks time.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #32
AaronC

When I previously uninstalled the software, I checked to ensure it really was gone by refreshing (and rebooting). But to leave no stone unturned, I retried today and did everything as described (which is what I did previously anyway). I got the same result with the flashing screen.

I did the uninstall again, this time ran regedit and deleted all entries relating to displaylink, there were some that I couldn't delete though. This time the problem was very much the same, except this time if I try to switch to "duplicate displays" the flashing stops for a second or two, my laptop display goes to low res and then it switches back to "extend displays" and my laptop display reverts back to flashing high res....

I will keep trying to play with it and post if I manage to become successful
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #33
Rowan

Default USB Display Adaptor not working with Windows 8

To support some action to get this problem resolved, since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 my USB 2.0 display adaptor has also stopped working, whilst all other USB connectivity through the adaptor (networking, audio and other USB devices) continue to work with Windows 8.

Attached are my diagnostic files as requested, so when are we likely to see an update on this issue????

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20121105_153021.zip (590.5 KB, 3 views)
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #34
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
When I previously uninstalled the software, I checked to ensure it really was gone by refreshing (and rebooting). But to leave no stone unturned, I retried today and did everything as described (which is what I did previously anyway). I got the same result with the flashing screen.
OK - the flashing screen is is a different issue, but also known. This is caused by a conflict between DisplayLink and the latest NVIDIA Windows 8 drivers, released by NVIDIA at the same time as we released our Win 8 driver.

The work around for now is to downgrade the NVIDIA graphics driver to an older version before installing DisplayLink software. This should solve the issue.

Wim
Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #35
AaronC

I tried rolling back the NVidia driver, and it helped to stop the flashing screen issue, but now I just have a blank second screen. (note that this only applies to my usb screen, my vga output has always worked fine)
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #36
acarolipio

Default Having the same problem. Using Windows 8, Lenovo Laptop

Was using Windows 7 -> everything was fine. Installed Windows 8 -> Displaylink adapter does not work. The monitor works fine -> but no video.
Here is the files that support requests.
Thanks,
Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Support Files.zip (1.04 MB, 3 views)
acarolipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #37
Colzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
OK - the flashing screen is is a different issue, but also known. This is caused by a conflict between DisplayLink and the latest NVIDIA Windows 8 drivers, released by NVIDIA at the same time as we released our Win 8 driver.

The work around for now is to downgrade the NVIDIA graphics driver to an older version before installing DisplayLink software. This should solve the issue.

Wim
I also have an unusable dock. I've wasted days on this thing.

I have the flashing screen problem, and installing an old NVIDIA driver did nothing different.

When will an update be available, obviously you guys know this is a problem??
Colzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #38
madisonjames

Default I am seeing the same issue...

Hardware:
•Dell Alienware m17x r4
•NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M (9.18.13.697)
•Intel HD Graphics 4000 (9.17.10.2817)
•Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking ◦http://tinyurl.com/c97pvqq

BIOS:
•A09

Issue:
•When attaching the Targus dock to any USB3.0 port the main laptop display just start blinking on and off, and will not stop until the device is disconnected. This issue occurred on the upgrade install of Windows 8, and a clean install. This issue does not happen on Windows 7 x64 Ent.

What I have tried:
•I have installed all the latest Video/DisplayLink drivers, which are all Windows 8 drivers.
•I have tried both an upgrade to Windows 8 and a clean install.
•I have rebooted the laptop several times, and have cycled the power on the Targus dock.

I have not found any information on this issue so it may be very new, and help would be greatly appreciated.

I have also tested my Lenovo T530 with Windows 8 and it has the same issue. The T530 is similar to the Alienware since both have Intel and NVIDIA cards.
madisonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #39
Wim

Yes, we're aware of the issue with the NVIDIA drivers and compatibility with DisplayLink. We're working on a fix for this, but due to the way the NVIDIA driver is interacting, it's not an easy change.

Downgrading the NVIDIA graphics driver to an earlier version should work, however they are pushing out the newer version on Windows update, so as soon as you downgrade, Windows 8 might be helpfully upgrading it again for you.

Wim
Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #40
Colzie

Can you provide a specific NVIDIA driver version that should work?

I'm okay with turning off Windows updates until an updated driver is available.

Here is a short video of the flashing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM-EPv7pIzQ
Colzie is offline   Reply With Quote