Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Windows 8 Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
lincthra

Default Win8, J5 Create, & Display Link all at the same time.

Okay, so, I have both a Display Link (195) and a J5 Create (Jua210). I'm trying to get them both running at the same time under Win8.

J5's driver install complains if there is another usb video adapter installed and will not install. In Windows 7, I solved this by installing J5 and THEN the Display Link (DL was perfectly happy to install alongside J5). This all worked out fine and I was able to use both under Win7.

Enter the Beast: Windows 8. This Beta driver works alone. The J5 driver works alone. Obviously J5 install still whines if DL is in first. So I tried the old J5 and THEN DL solution. The results were... strange.

The J5 keeps on working, and the DL installs with no errors. During "First Run Configuration" of the DL, it does the screen blink thing. Well in the end, I end up with the J5 on, the DL on, but my main display shows black (backlight on, cannot see windows or cursor). If I click the "bring my taskbar to this monitor" button at the lower left of the taskbars of the other windows, whichever one I put the main taskbar on, goes black. I can move around the black one in this manner, but all of them will never show.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug or not since I was kinda roughly patching it together in the first place, but I thought I should at least post the results and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Last edited by lincthra; 12-17-2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Better title
Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Wim

Hi

The J5 Create is not a DisplayLink based product. There are problems with using DisplayLink and other USB video products on the same PC. The drivers will probably not work together because of the way they have to interact with the graphics sub system.

I'm surprised this even worked on Windows 7, and not at all surprised that there are problems with Windows 8. The solution is to only use adapters based on one technology, and of course I recommend that to be DisplayLink :-)

Wim
Old 12-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #3
lincthra

Yeah, well... That's what I get for buying the cheaper and not researching first. lol. Trying to find someone to trade now that has a DisplayLink and doesn't need multiple. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
nichcurtis

Still looking for a trade, I have a http://cirago.com/wordpress/products...-hdmi-adapter/