Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - 8.2 Beta for Windows

Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
AlbanRampon

Arrow 8.2 M0 Now Released

Hello,

Thank you for those who have tested 8.2 Beta 2 and sent their feedback.
8.2 M0 has now been delivered and includes some performance improvements.

A team is allocated full time to looking at the CPU usage in some particular use cases as you measured.
Some applications are not really good citizens and send us constant full screen updates when they show static content (like the inbox Photos application, or Spotify).
The team has also identified particular situations with video playback where we can save some calculations and therefore lighten the load.

We have had to build some dedicated test rigs and code to make sure we can make reliable measurements instead of relying on subjective impressions.
A second team will join the effort when they have finished current commitments.

We keep putting significant money and development resource into delivering incremental improvements.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
tracertit

Sorry, but nothing changed - still the same problems, like high CPU, Display refresh problems and so on..
Old 04-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
proeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracertit View Post
Sorry, but nothing changed - still the same problems, like high CPU, Display refresh problems and so on..
Exactly the same! :/ and seems to not change so early!

I already sent a letter to Dell with my disappointment with that situation! I just bought a D1000 docking station but never worked as I expected due to this driver
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Domdus

Default 8.2 Beta 2 !

Hi,

I tested the new 8.2. M0 for some days now and it seems to works better, but not great.

For some reason, 8.2.Beta 2! worked perfect for me!

Beta 2 was very smooth and the difference I could see is - just one WUDFHost in the processes, which basically causes zero CPU usage (?).

However, 8.2 Beta 2 behaves completely different to any other beta/release before or after.

### EDIT ###
Sorry, after uninstalling and re-installing 8.2 Beta 2 I cannot reproduce the "great performance" mentioned above again.

Last edited by Domdus; 04-06-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

I suggest we don't mix everything and make the same mess as the other thread. It is unhelpful and confusing to anyone trying to get an answer to her/his particular problem.

No, it is not exactly the same and we have third party evidence it is not.
Yes, it is not perfect, and I stated that from the beginning.

1. CPU usage
Having 20% CPU usage does NOT prevent anything from working. I agree this is not ideal, but you have a minimum of 100% (depends on how you count: core or CPU and number of CPUs). So there are still at least 80% left.
Please stop confusing performance and CPU usage. You miss metrics like memory bandwidth usage which are much more important.
I have difficulties understanding how one can claim that it's not possible to work on a machine where CPU is being used.

2. Refresh Issues
There is NO known DisplayLink driver issue with refresh. If you came up with one, document it so we can look at it.
There was one redraw issue in the OS that Microsoft fixed in build 15049 (Creators Update).
Unless you update your OS, things won't magically change by increasing our driver number. We get static/corrupted content, our driver will not invent data it doesn't receive!
We have asked to get the fix backported to 14393 (Anniversary Update) however we need to know the number of machines affected to build the business case to justify Microsoft working on this. How many machines do you have affected by their problem?
I can understand how this would affect working on such machines, and that's why we've relentlessly been pushing for this to be fixed week after week until it was fixed.

3. Game Lagging
Your particular "game is lagging" is because the OS sends the work to the graphics card used for POST (when you boot). In a dual graphics card system, it's usually the Intel integrated graphics.
Here as well, that's a known OS limitation. I've already explained on several posts the possible workaround, depending on what machine you have decided to buy and its limitations. All this happens at the kernel graphics driver level, NOT user mode. DisplayLink driver doesn't have the privilege necessary to access any of that anymore.
Have you asked Microsoft? If not, please use the Windows Feedback Hub to complain. That's what exactly it was designed for. Until enough people report the issue, they can't realise how important to users it is. The message sent to Dell wrongly accusing DisplayLink driver might help as Dell know very well the product they designed and how Windows graphics subsystem work, but I suggest you also express your disappointment to people who are responsible for the issue and can do something about it. That would help us getting it addressed. Microsoft is NOT unwilling to address it, like everything, this is a matter of how high a priority it gets.

4. 8.2 Beta 1 to 8.2 Beta 2
At no point did I ever recommend to try 8.2 Beta 2 compared to 8.2 Beta 1 for the CPU usage. 8.2 Beta 2 was for people wanted to try gamma correction, and was only presented as such.
Domdus does bring an interesting point though: he removed and installed again and the CPU usage has changed. We obviously couldn't change 8.2 Beta 2 in between, so his own tests demonstrates there are external factors to the driver or dock.

Should you have any specific technical question, like how to best report the issue to the people responsible to get assistance, I will be delighted to assist.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
proeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
I suggest we don't mix everything and make the same mess as the other thread. It is unhelpful and confusing to anyone trying to get an answer to her/his particular problem.

No, it is not exactly the same and we have third party evidence it is not.
Yes, it is not perfect, and I stated that from the beginning.

1. CPU usage
Having 20% CPU usage does NOT prevent anything from working. I agree this is not ideal, but you have a minimum of 100% (depends on how you count: core or CPU and number of CPUs). So there are still at least 80% left.
Please stop confusing performance and CPU usage. You miss metrics like memory bandwidth usage which are much more important.
I have difficulties understanding how one can claim that it's not possible to work on a machine where CPU is being used.

2. Refresh Issues
There is NO known DisplayLink driver issue with refresh. If you came up with one, document it so we can look at it.
There was one redraw issue in the OS that Microsoft fixed in build 15049 (Creators Update).
Unless you update your OS, things won't magically change by increasing our driver number. We get static/corrupted content, our driver will not invent data it doesn't receive!
We have asked to get the fix backported to 14393 (Anniversary Update) however we need to know the number of machines affected to build the business case to justify Microsoft working on this. How many machines do you have affected by their problem?
I can understand how this would affect working on such machines, and that's why we've relentlessly been pushing for this to be fixed week after week until it was fixed.

3. Game Lagging
Your particular "game is lagging" is because the OS sends the work to the graphics card used for POST (when you boot). In a dual graphics card system, it's usually the Intel integrated graphics.
Here as well, that's a known OS limitation. I've already explained on several posts the possible workaround, depending on what machine you have decided to buy and its limitations. All this happens at the kernel graphics driver level, NOT user mode. DisplayLink driver doesn't have the privilege necessary to access any of that anymore.
Have you asked Microsoft? If not, please use the Windows Feedback Hub to complain. That's what exactly it was designed for. Until enough people report the issue, they can't realise how important to users it is. The message sent to Dell wrongly accusing DisplayLink driver might help as Dell know very well the product they designed and how Windows graphics subsystem work, but I suggest you also express your disappointment to people who are responsible for the issue and can do something about it. That would help us getting it addressed. Microsoft is NOT unwilling to address it, like everything, this is a matter of how high a priority it gets.

4. 8.2 Beta 1 to 8.2 Beta 2
At no point did I ever recommend to try 8.2 Beta 2 compared to 8.2 Beta 1 for the CPU usage. 8.2 Beta 2 was for people wanted to try gamma correction, and was only presented as such.
Domdus does bring an interesting point though: he removed and installed again and the CPU usage has changed. We obviously couldn't change 8.2 Beta 2 in between, so his own tests demonstrates there are external factors to the driver or dock.

Should you have any specific technical question, like how to best report the issue to the people responsible to get assistance, I will be delighted to assist.

Regards,
Alban
Hello Alban,

I respect your job and all of your efforts the same way I hope you respect our frustration.

My problem is not just "game is lagging" as you said. I'm also having high CPU consume like everybody and I'm having bad screen refresh time when docked. I lost performance on my computer overall.

And yes, I already posted what you said on Microsoft HUB feedback on the same date you gave the hint.

I sent message to Dell not accusing DisplayLink... I explained all the situation regarding all, even with Microsoft... I bought product from Dell and not from DisplayLink, so this is why I reported to them.

Thanks and I really hope we have this situation solved soon.