Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 10-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
vektorprime

Default I came here to help if you are on Ubuntu 17.04 and 17.10

Here's the deal... I have a dell XPS 13, I tried everything getting my pluggable usb 3 docking station to work. On ubuntu 17.04, which still used X as it's window manager, I was able to get it working by creating /usr/share/... basically by creating the 20-displaylink.conf x.org config file. The issues I had with it was the CPU went up to 40% and was choppy. I was okay with it.

Then 17.10 came out, this changed the default display manager from X to WAYLAND. This caused my displaylink to stop working totally. It took me a while to figure out that they moved from X to WAYLAND.

If you want to go back to X (so you can have a working docking station) you need to go into the login screen, click the gear icon, and choose Ubuntu X, if you choose just Ubuntu, that means you are using wayland and not X. Here is how to get back to the state you were in with Ubuntu 17.04

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9613...n-ubuntu-17-10

Another solution I had that worked better... If you are on a Dell XPS 13, you can buy a startech thunderbolt to dual HDMI adapter. This works PERFECTLY on my XPS 13 with no tweaks, and on wayland (running ubuntu 17.10). The only downside is it only does display. I went with the model that says WINDOWS ONLY, it worked just fine on ubuntu.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B01ANR5AJU

With this I am able to get smooth movement on my 2x monitors, no CPU issues.

Last edited by vektorprime; 10-30-2017 at 11:26 PM.
vektorprime is offline   Reply With Quote