Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #41
Colzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colzie View Post
Can you provide a specific NVIDIA driver version that should work?
Pretty please?
Colzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #42
olive

It's practivally difficult to install an old nVidia driver. The best solution is DisplayLink fix the issue ASAP.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #43
AaronC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Yes, we're aware of the issue with the NVIDIA drivers and compatibility with DisplayLink. We're working on a fix for this, but due to the way the NVIDIA driver is interacting, it's not an easy change.

Downgrading the NVIDIA graphics driver to an earlier version should work, however they are pushing out the newer version on Windows update, so as soon as you downgrade, Windows 8 might be helpfully upgrading it again for you.

Wim
As I mentioned in a previous post, I did roll back my drivers and it didn't fix the issue (and I didn't mention that I also got hold of an even older driver that would install, but also didn't work). I also have my auto update switched off and windows didn't automatically update my driver. And as far as I have seen, there hasn't been one person that said rolling back their drivers worked (the only ones were random where people have claimed to do the same thing 5 or 6 times where suddenly it worked, but most people clearly can't replicate this)

Also I don't want to be one of those annoying whingers, but the only reason I haven't posted another reply until now was that I was getting annoyed with this whole situation, so I was waiting in the hope a solution would soon appear. It is clear that most people are having the exact same problem, so if it were my business and I was handling the problem I would at least put up a statement telling everyone that I was aware of the problem and that there unfortunately doesn't seem to be a quick fix, and then I would tell people we were working on a solution and give them a rough date by which we would have either a solution to the problem, or at least more information. Anyway, just saying that that is what I would do
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #44
Colzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post, I did roll back my drivers and it didn't fix the issue (and I didn't mention that I also got hold of an even older driver that would install, but also didn't work). I also have my auto update switched off and windows didn't automatically update my driver. And as far as I have seen, there hasn't been one person that said rolling back their drivers worked (the only ones were random where people have claimed to do the same thing 5 or 6 times where suddenly it worked, but most people clearly can't replicate this)

Also I don't want to be one of those annoying whingers, but the only reason I haven't posted another reply until now was that I was getting annoyed with this whole situation, so I was waiting in the hope a solution would soon appear. It is clear that most people are having the exact same problem, so if it were my business and I was handling the problem I would at least put up a statement telling everyone that I was aware of the problem and that there unfortunately doesn't seem to be a quick fix, and then I would tell people we were working on a solution and give them a rough date by which we would have either a solution to the problem, or at least more information. Anyway, just saying that that is what I would do
+1 to everything you just said, with the exception of not whining.

I've been running three monitors for four years, utilizing all three every day I'm at my desk. Having my shiny new computer but not being able to use my monitors reduces my productivity tremendously. I'd be better off returning the computer and dock and stick with my 4yo sloooow computer, at least I'd have room to get some work done.

Whine complete (for now).
Colzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #45
bernie

Default How to Rollback and stop Windows Update

It's only a temporary workaround, but we've posted a bit more detail on the Plugable site about how to roll back the nVidia driver to the working version, and stop Windows Update from updating that one driver in the future.

Here's some steps:

nVidia’s new October Win8 driver version for the GeForce GT 525M and related chips cause DisplayLink’s USB graphics driver to stop functioning. Rollback to nVidia driver version 9.18.13.286 (6/21/2012) solves the issue. If you get in this situation, here’s how to do a rollback (on Win 7; but same applies to 8):
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-7.htm

And then you have to stop Windows Update from offering the same update again. To do that, hit the Windows key (to bring up search), type “Windows Update”, expand the important updates, and right click on the one from nVidia and select “hide update”.

(more at http://plugable.com/2012/10/27/windows-8-displaylink )

We also have to wait for DisplayLink's driver updates, but if you're a Plugable customer and have any requests for us (like getting an email notification when issues are resolved; or if you're hitting any unique problems), just email us at support@plugable.com. We'll do whatever we can do help. Thanks for your patience!
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #46
AaronC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
It's only a temporary workaround, but we've posted a bit more detail on the Plugable site about how to roll back the nVidia driver to the working version, and stop Windows Update from updating that one driver in the future.

Here's some steps:

nVidia’s new October Win8 driver version for the GeForce GT 525M and related chips cause DisplayLink’s USB graphics driver to stop functioning. Rollback to nVidia driver version 9.18.13.286 (6/21/2012) solves the issue. If you get in this situation, here’s how to do a rollback (on Win 7; but same applies to 8):
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-7.htm

And then you have to stop Windows Update from offering the same update again. To do that, hit the Windows key (to bring up search), type “Windows Update”, expand the important updates, and right click on the one from nVidia and select “hide update”.

(more at http://plugable.com/2012/10/27/windows-8-displaylink )

We also have to wait for DisplayLink's driver updates, but if you're a Plugable customer and have any requests for us (like getting an email notification when issues are resolved; or if you're hitting any unique problems), just email us at support@plugable.com. We'll do whatever we can do help. Thanks for your patience!
Thanks for the more detailed information, it helps explain why the solution didn't work for me. My machine is new and the furthest rollback I could do was to 9.18.13.614 (28/08/2012) (if this info was put in those earlier posts I could have saved myself a hell of a lot of time and frustration).

If I download older drivers I am unable to install them (windows blocks it). I guess I could try to force the install, but I'm not sure that is worth risking losing my laptop display.
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #47
NW27

Hi All,
Unfortunately I also have a problem but mine seems a little different.
It shows me the Displaylink icon in the system tray with an exclamation mark inside. When I click on this, a error message is displayed saying my "USB graphics software is not compatible"

I'm using a EVGA UV Plus+16. Works fine on XP and Win7.

Neil.
Attached Images
File Type: png Displaylink issue.png (15.6 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip D8PRM1S_20121119_215436.zip (593.1 KB, 3 views)
NW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #48
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW27 View Post
Hi All,
Unfortunately I also have a problem but mine seems a little different.
It shows me the Displaylink icon in the system tray with an exclamation mark inside. When I click on this, a error message is displayed saying my "USB graphics software is not compatible"

I'm using a EVGA UV Plus+16. Works fine on XP and Win7.

Neil.
You need to install the latest driver for your graphics card. It's currently using the Microsoft inbox driver:

Graphics: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter ((Standard display types))
Graphics Driver: 6.2.9200.16384 Dated 2006/06/21

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #49
scorpion1206

Default Still having issues

Well, I got my monitor to at least turn on, but now it is blank with a mouse pointer in the middle. I uninstalled the display link software, restarted, plugged the device in, and let Windows get the drivers themselves. This installed properly, restarted my computer, and now my monitor turns on but I just have a mouse pointer in the middle of it. My other HDMI monitor works just fine, but the USB-to-HDMI monitor doesn't work. This probably has to do with the newest Nvidia Driver, but I am just shooting you an update.

Last edited by scorpion1206; 11-21-2012 at 06:06 AM.
scorpion1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #50
hba

Default New driver...still no luck

Tried new driver 7.0M3. Cleaned out the old install, restarted, installed new driver, plugged in the graphics, drivers configured and the system was restarted. Upon restart the system logs on and logs off several times and ending with all three monitors turned on but with black screens except for the mousecursor (????) which can travel on all three monitors.

This is VERY unsatisfying to say the least and really not good enough!

Update: I managed to have the Windows session running long enough to run the support tool. I've attached the updated file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ASUSN56VZ_20121123_183256.zip (376.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by hba; 11-23-2012 at 05:36 PM.
hba is offline   Reply With Quote