Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
SteveAthanas

Unhappy DisplayLink + Chrome + Flash = No work

So, I think I have a simple problem statement, but I've Googled it, and I can't find any answers.

I have the following DisplayLink hardware:

HIS MultiView + Sound (USB 3.0)
HIS MultiView II
Sabrent ViewPlex USB 2.0 Display Adapter

Device Manger reports the following:

DisplayLink Display Adapter (4301)
DL-195 Adapter
USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter
WS Tech USB-DVI

I am running DisplayLink 7.0M3, and asking for an update says I have the lastest version.

I'm also running Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m. I am only running the Flash that comes with Chrome, not the standalone Flash player.

I should mention that the problem below happened with only the Sabrent ViewPlex adapter attached, but now seems to happen regardless of which DisplayLink adapter is attached. I can say for absolute certain (as I've reformatted my laptop several times in order to test) that this problem is repeatable, and only happens once the DisplayLink software is installed.

The basic problem is that once I install DisplayLink, I can no longer use Flash in Chrome, which is the web browser I use all day long. If I visit a website with any Flash at all in it, the page crashes and I get a "Adobe Flash has stopped responding" message in Chrome.

If I install Flash standalone, I can then use Flash in IE, but seriously... it's IE. It has no effect on Chrome's stability, even if I disable the internal Chrome flash implementation. So, bottom line is that Chrome and Flash work great. If I disable flash in Chrome, then Chrome and DisplayLink work great, but I can't get all three to work, and I'm about to lose my mind.

Any ideas? Anything at all?

Happy to provide more information.
SteveAthanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
bernie

Default Adobe standalone installer

Hi Steve,

If you uninstall "Adobe Shockwave", does that help?

If not , uninstall "Adobe Flash"
(leaving only Chrome's built-in Flash player installed on system)

Does that help?

Bernie
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
SteveAthanas

I've actually already done exactly that.

In fact, I formatted this PC multiple times. The only thing on it is Chrome's built-in Flash.

The system has on it right now: Windows 7 64-bit, DisplayLink, Chrome. That's it.

The discussion about Flash and IE is from a previous install of the OS.

I went down the "remove Flash" road before, but it got me nowhere. It's definitely some sort of interoperability issue between Chrome and DisplayLink.

Thanks for trying.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
bernie

Default solution

I have the same issue on my laptop. I've been trying to find a solution on the 7.x series, but unfortunately haven't found one.

Uninstalling 7.x and installing the earlier DisplayLink driver version 6.3 M1 solves the issue for me.

But obviously that's not great long-term as there are other reasons to try to stay on the latest drivers (e.g. essential for Windows 8).
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
SteveAthanas

Well I feel a little better that I'm not alone.

Two questions, then:

1. Is support aware of this? If not, how do we get them involved? If so, can they comment?

2. Where do I get the older drivers? I'm not interested in Windows 8, so that may be a short-term option...
Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
bernie

Default 6.3 m1

DisplayLink's older drivers are available here:
http://displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

6.3 M1 is at the top of the "Previous Releases" list.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you. I've also raised it with DisplayLink support outside of this forum, but it doesn't seem to happen on every system. It's probably GPU/Driver/OS related.

Here's my details where I'm seeing Flash hang/crash consistently with Chrome (taken from System_Details.txt of the DisplayLink Support Tool output):

Computer: Hewlett-Packard - HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC CNU03627M7
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (x64-based PC), Service Pack 1, English
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 8.15.10.2189 Dated 2010/07/28
Desktop Mode: Aero
DisplayLink Core Software (7.0.43526.0) on 2012/12/17 Status is Installed

And from chrome://plugins/ in chrome, I only have the built in Flash plugin enabled:

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 11.5.31.5
Shockwave Flash 11.5 r31
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.5 r31
Version: 11.5.31.5
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\23.0.1271.97\Peppe rFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
bender29

Computer: Hewlett-Packard - HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (x64-based PC), Service Pack 1, English
OS Build: 7601 (Debug = False)
Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 8.15.10.2302 Dated 2011/02/11

DisplayLink Graphics (7.1.44323.0) on 2012/12/31 Status is Installed
DisplayLink Core Software (7.1.44152.0) on 2012/12/31 Status is Installed

It took me a while to identify this problem was with the DisplayLink software. I was about to return the USB video adapter (diamond bvu195), until I decided to check for an update. Surprisingly, the latest software 7.1M0 seems to fix this issue with Chrome+flash+crashes.

It must be something with the Intel graphics mobile chipset since I have nearly the same specs as you. But give the new software a try.
bender29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Enrico

I have this issue as well. In Chrome, iRacing flash applet will almost always hang-up. Usually restarting the browser fixes the problem for a while.
Enrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
sharpieboss

Default Also have issues

I also have issues. Whenever the display link adapter is active shockwave flash player ceases to operate.
sharpieboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
LatencyMachine

Same issue here on my HP M7-1015DX and my Toshiba Dynadock 3. This is an Ivy Bridge i7 w/ HD Graphics 4000 system. Windows 7 x64.

I also experience lengthy hang-ups in Chrome when trying to render some content... and it's not network latency or anything like that. Using the F12 dev tools in Chrome the hangs happen after all resources have been downloaded.

I've had some luck disabling hardware acceleration settings in chrome://flags/ . I also completely disable Flash sometimes when I'm really annoyed.

I just recently installed 7.1 M0 so I will pay attention to see if it looks like the issue is resolved or less prominent. However, I'm having other new issues as a result of 7.1 M0 related to standby USB enumeration.
LatencyMachine is offline   Reply With Quote