Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs

Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Phil Meads

Default You are not monitoring "Windows Server 2008 R2 support "

I keep asking when you are going to remove that very nasty block on allowing your updated drivers to run on Windows Server 2008.

I originally bought one ASUS VW223B last June and, once I downloaded the Vista 64 driver, it worked fine. So I bought two more monitors to be run under Diamond BVU160 adapters and a mount for all four. This completely bombed. I tried the same on my Windows 7 laptop which worked fine with one added monitor but bombed with more than one.

Later on, I downloaded a new version on the Windows 7 machine, and it worked reasonably well, but I was prevented from trying the newer drivers on my Windows Server 2008 machine. I've posted, I've written letters, even to your legal department (who never answered).

This attitude of yours is extremely nasty. I use this computer as a workstation and initially wanted it to run on the 64 bit version of Windows xp, which was not allowed by Dell, so I am stuck -- all because of you!!!

I just tried 5.3.24566 -- same block

Phil Meads, Ph.D.
retired accelerator physicist
Old 06-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
satch

Default Have you tried compatibility mode for installer?

Hi,

I really hate when installers behave badly. However, it's usually just a version check done during installation and driver would work ok. You can sometimes bypass that mess running installer in compatibility mode. Check this superb guide at technet site about it: http://blogs.technet.com/b/chrad/arc...lity-mode.aspx

Hope it helps!!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
SHaase

Default 2008 R2 compat issues

As the original poster said, installation is blocked on 2008 R2. The 1st thing I did was to try running it in compatibility mode but it did not help. The 2nd thing I did was register on the forum to get the 5.4b1 beta driver but it has the same issue as well.

Is 2008 R2 specifically blocked for a reason? I'd be happy to test it out if you removed that restriction in the beta driver.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
simden

A closed thread in "5.2 Software Release" suggested that there was a legal reason for blocking Windows 2008. But after numerous and insisting requests by users no other explanations where given.

This is a major issue to me and for many users I'm sure.

This silence from DisplayLink is not a good sign in regards to their customers support pratices.

We would really appreciate some response on this matter.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
thinkriver

Make the driver support Server 2008 R2!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
seagull

I was able to install the 5.5 driver on Windows Server R2 Enterprise (driver version 5.5.27257.0, driver date: 21/08/2010).
The adapter shows up in device manager as HP USB Graphics Adap, but the icon is not shown in the tray (this icon is not currently active), and the monitor does not get any signal.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
DennisTh

Default How

How did you install it on WS08 R2 ? I have been trying with the latest 5.5 beta driver w/o luck
Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Phil Meads

Default DisplayLink continues very nasty block for Windows 2008 server

Default You are not monitoring "Windows Server 2008 R2 support "

I keep asking when you are going to remove that very nasty block on allowing your updated drivers to run on Windows Server 2008.

I originally bought one ASUS VW223B a year ago last June and, once I downloaded the Vista 64 driver, it worked fine. So I bought two more monitors to be run under Diamond BVU160 adapters and a mount for all four. This completely bombed. I tried the same on my Windows 7 laptop which worked fine with one added monitor but bombed with more than one.

Later on, I downloaded a new version on the Windows 7 machine, and it worked reasonably well, but I was prevented from trying the newer drivers on my Windows Server 2008 machine. I've posted, I've written letters, even to your legal department (who never answered).

This attitude of yours is extremely nasty. I use this computer as a workstation and initially wanted it to run on the 64 bit version of Windows xp, which was not allowed by Dell, so I am stuck -- all because of you!!!

I just tried 5.5.27797 -- same block

Phil Meads, Ph.D.
retired accelerator physicist
Phil Meads is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 11-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
Marc Jelen

Smile Good news !!!

see what i got from Wim (thx for this answer):

Dear Marc Jelen,

Thank you for your e-mail. Currently we have to disable install on Windows
Server versions, due to a commercial agreement. This is why we have to enforce
a block on installing on server.

The good news is that this restriction will expire and we will have a version of software that will
install and run on Windows server versions next year.

I'm afraid until then, we cannot release a server version of our
software.

Best regards,

Wim
DisplayLink Technical Support

Last edited by Wim; 11-24-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
Phil Meads

Default When in 2011?????

When in the next year will a server version be available? January 1st I hope. I've been waiting for many months.