Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-14-2017, 02:26 AM   #1
Vansen

Default Extreme mouse lag with Chrome and Excel

I have been able to reproduce mouse and keyboard lag under 2 specific circumstances under all my Win 10 Win 7 test laptops, as describe below and would like to to see if there is any work around?

1. Website causing high CPU and high rate of screen redraw: http://www.digitalreasoning.com/
- Open that page with Chrome and maximise the screen on your external monitor.
- If you were to scroll down to the middle of that page, you would see vertical "matrix style" scrolling text. Your mouse and KB should start to lag.
- If your were to bring up your task manager and look at CPU usage you should see at 100%
- If you scroll down the bottom of the page (100% static page) your mouse and KB would return to normal and the CPU usage would drop.
- If you were to un-maximise the window and make it smaller and return to the "Matrix text" the mouse and KB lag will be greatly reduced.
- If you were to complete the above tests with IE you will not notice the mouse and KB lag.

2. Excel Benchmark. Download the Benchmark_ET.xls from:
http://exceltrader.net/984/benchmark...k-for-traders/
- Open it in excel, enable macros maximize on your external display.
- Start the benchmark.
- You will see that the last 2 test, where excel is rapidly changing cell values, your mouse and KB will lag and your CPU very high.
- If you were to re-run the benchmark and but then minimized the excel screen you will notice the mouse and KB not lag but the CPU remain very high.

Any thoughts? Or is the CPU utilization the choke point in both these scenarios and we've hit a limitation of the DisplayLink solution??
Vansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

It's difficult to comment on 2 specific examples without seeing what you're trying to run them on.
The current Windows 10 and the Windows 7 DisplayLink drivers are 2 totally different architectures.
DisplayLink driver doesn't know what application you run, so it doesn't do any adaptation based on the web browser you are using. As you indicate that the issue is not present on IE, what led you to single out the DisplayLink solution as being the source of your CPU usage?
Also, you are seeing the CPU gauge, but the bottleneck may be the memory bandwidth and the CPU waiting on data copy...

Understanding your reasoning may help uncover other data you tested but didn't express here.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
Vansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

It's difficult to comment on 2 specific examples without seeing what you're trying to run them on.
Standard Dell Latitude latitude 7280 - i5 - 8GB RAM
If you were to follow the instructions provided in both examples you could potentially see the issue that I am describing. As in the tests, the size of the open window (IE. Chrome or Excel) will directly effect the mouse lag experience. In my testing i'm using a 1x34" display (3440 x 1440) so the displaylink software has to "drive" a lot of pixels.

Quote:
The current Windows 10 and the Windows 7 DisplayLink drivers are 2 totally different architectures.
DisplayLink driver doesn't know what application you run, so it doesn't do any adaptation based on the web browser you are using. As you indicate that the issue is not present on IE, what led you to single out the DisplayLink solution as being the source of your CPU usage?
When using a non DisplayLink dock, like the Dell WD15 or the older E-port docks I was unable to reproduce the problems on the same testing laptops. Furthermore, only when connected to the D6000 and placing the chrome or excel windows on the 34" display do the problems occur. When the Chrome and Excel windows a dragged down to the laptop screen the problem do not occur.

Quote:
Also, you are seeing the CPU gauge, but the bottleneck may be the memory bandwidth and the CPU waiting on data copy...

Understanding your reasoning may help uncover other data you tested but didn't express here.

Regards,
Alban
The 2 tests are indicative of issues my users are experiencing (slow mouse and KB input), none of my users are visiting that website or using that excel benchmark. It just a 100% way that I can show you what ours users are reporting to me.
Vansen is offline   Reply With Quote