Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #161
yochaigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerties View Post
Like others here I was bummed to found out DisplayLink USB 3.0 devices are not support on Linux. But there is now an alternative: Displayport MST (multi-stream transport).

There is support for MST starting in kernel 3.17 (thank you David Airlie). Here's how to use MST in Ubuntu with Intel graphics card: http://askubuntu.com/a/552094
Will this work on laptops that don't use docks? What about mini displayport or direct to USB?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #162
Mechatism

Thumbs down The one way to reduce the size of an 800lb gorilla is to not feed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoni View Post
Another verbose +1:
I hope DisplayLink or a competitor supports Linux soon.

To DisplayLink reps:
It's time to accept it, Linux is real and there are users who expect product support. Don't tell us why it can't work. We couldn't care less. Make it work so we can focus on the next big thing.
Thank you.
It seems DisplayLink has little desire to keep customers happy ; requests for linux support were made back in 2012! Does anyone at this company actually read these posts? Obviously they get enough revenue from WhineDoze users but with 8.x turning every PC into a phone (with all their limitations) maybe more people will desert that behemoth.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #163
yochaigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yochaigal View Post
Will this work on laptops that don't use docks? What about mini displayport or direct to USB?
You have to have displayport 1.2 for it to work - I've got a 1st-gen X1 Carbon; I can't get DisplayLink 3.0 (works great in Windows, though) and I can't get MST! I am forever stuck with one screen, it seems.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:50 AM   #164
advocat3

Just another disappointed user chiming in.

Just ordered my XPS 13 touch 2015 developer edition and am sad to see that the USB 3.0 hubs will not support external displays.

There's a real missed opportunity here. I guess I'll be going DisplayPort? Even though I really don't want to? But what other options do we have? Not sure.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #165
pingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocat3 View Post
Just another disappointed user chiming in.

Just ordered my XPS 13 touch 2015 developer edition and am sad to see that the USB 3.0 hubs will not support external displays.

There's a real missed opportunity here. I guess I'll be going DisplayPort? Even though I really don't want to? But what other options do we have? Not sure.
Couldn't agree more.
Using the xps 13 2015 edition. On windows no problems using the d3100, on linux no display support

Currently I use an additional minidisplayport to displayport cable for my monitor. However no multi-display support
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #166
Ehnalis

Default Lenovo USB 3.0 ThinkPad Docking Station

Lenovo won't like it, but I'm about to return their product. It seems that there is no Linux (Ubuntu) support for Lenovo USB 3.0 ThinkPad Docking Station by DisplayLink and the DVI ports are not working.

I can guess that the double DVI ports on this pretty is only attractive to people who really wants to work with it, and work with Ubuntu.

Sorry Lenovo, you should have not played with DisplayLink. :-)
Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #167
vmelandri

Just adding another voice to the request: please, PLEASE, support us!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #168
hackan

Default Ordered a new monitor, and android app?

Hi,
I just registered since I've ordered an ASUS MB168B+ monitor. I was looking forward to use the monitor with my computer, but since I'm using Ubuntu (14.04) at least half of the time I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Still no news regarding Linux/Ubuntu support, even if there's been talk about driver development from 2012 in this thread?

Also, has anyone noticed there's an Android DisplayLink app ("DisplayLink Desktop", not sure if I'm allowed to post URLs)? When I have the monitor and get hold of an Android 5.x device I'll probably try it...
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #169
bugmenot

Default I think is a lost case

Just willing to know: there are alternatives?
(let's spread them!)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #170
typhoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackan View Post
Hi,
I just registered since I've ordered an ASUS MB168B+ monitor. I was looking forward to use the monitor with my computer, but since I'm using Ubuntu (14.04) at least half of the time I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Still no news regarding Linux/Ubuntu support, even if there's been talk about driver development from 2012 in this thread?

Also, has anyone noticed there's an Android DisplayLink app ("DisplayLink Desktop", not sure if I'm allowed to post URLs)? When I have the monitor and get hold of an Android 5.x device I'll probably try it...
Hi,

I'm not able to use my own Asus MB168B+ with any linux (I tried both ubuntu and arch).

I quickly tested the Android DisplayLink app with a Galaxy S4 running CyanogenMod 12.1 nightly.
Although the DisplayLink driver seems to detect the monitor when plugged, it doesn't appear in the casting tile (And yes, I had another power source for the screen and casting to a miracast or chromecast dongle usually works).

So if you expect to use the MB168B+ with windows (or maybe OSX?), it's a great product (that's my case for my work).
But if you hope to use it with linux, it's just a piece of crap and you should definitively return it and try to find an other solution!

Regards.
Closed Thread