Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
ken

Default Windows UAC prompt appears on new connection

Hi,
We use Toshiba USB2 and USB3 dynadocks. I have loaded all the drivers using the Corporate Install (along with separate ethernet drivers for use on USB2 docking stations), and it all appears fine.

However, when I change workstations and sit at another desk (out of a possible 120 desks in the office), I have a UAC prompt appear. Clicking on More Details, and it shows that 'newdev.exe' want to run USB\vid_17e9&pid_02aa\nnnnnnn

I can disable this prompt by modifying the ConfigFlags to '0' in the registry location: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\....
but the problem is a matter of timing. There's 120 possible docking stations to plug into, and if I go to a new workstation, the prompt will reappear.

Is there any other way to disable this? When I enter my admin credentials, it has the DisplayLink Setup wizard wanting to install a newer version. Is there a setting I need to check to see why it's still checking for updates even though I have the Corporate install installed on the computers?

Thanks!
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
Is there any other way to disable this? When I enter my admin credentials, it has the DisplayLink Setup wizard wanting to install a newer version. Is there a setting I need to check to see why it's still checking for updates even though I have the Corporate install installed on the computers?
The DisplayLink software is on Windows update. I suspect Windows is seeing new hardware and trying to download the software for it and run it.

Although you are using the corporate install, it does not disable Windows update. So I guess when the laptop sees new hardware, Windows checks WU for an updated driver, causing the prompt to appear.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Szymon
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
Hi,
Is there a setting I need to check to see why it's still checking for updates even though I have the Corporate install installed on the computers?
DisplayLink Corporate installed software does not automatically check for updates, however it does not prevent Windows from doing this and it is Windows default behaviour to check Windows Update first for the best driver for connected hardware.

Szymon
Szymon is offline   Reply With Quote