Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.8 Release

Old 06-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
EdF

Default Switching away and back to my Mac via VKM disables the DisplayLink monitor.

I have a MacMini (Mid 2007) with my primary monitor hooked up to the internal display port, and a 2nd monitor hooked up to a DisplayLink BVU195 USB adapter.

Both of the monitors (and a keyboard/mouse) are shared between this Mac and a PC via an IoGear GCS1744 KVM.

Previously, it all worked perfectly under OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) with DisplayLink 1.7b4 drivers. I was able to switch back and forth between the systems as I needed.

Today I updated to OSX 10.7.4 (Lion) and DisplayLink 1.8a1 drivers. When the Mac boots, the 2nd display seems fine. However, when I switch away from the Mac to the PC, and then switch back to the Mac, the Mac seems to think the second monitor has gone away. The monitor displays black, and I can't move the mouse cursor over to it, (so it's not like the Mac thinks the display is there and the monitor is just showing black- the Mac now acts like a single-monitor system.) The green LED on the DisplayLink adapter is lit the whole time, even after switching back to the Mac. This happens 100% of the time.

Here's the really weird thing (IMHO): Once it gets into this state, if I unplug the DisplayLink adapter from it's USB port and re-insert it, the Mac will then detect the DisplayLink and second monitor. Now I can switch back and forth between the Mac and PC at will again with the second monitor working fine!

UNTIL I reboot the Mac, and then I need to unplug and re-plug the DisplayLink USB again to make the second monitor "stick" again through the KVM switchouts!

I downgraded the DisplayLink drivers back to 1.7, and then back to 1.7b4 and the problem happens with all three of these DisplayLink driver versions.

Is this a known issue with OSX Lion and the DisplayLink?
Has anyone else seen behaviour like this on a Mac via KVM switch?
Is there more info I can provide?

Thanks for any info, tips, or suggestions.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
ChristianP

Thanks for your report. The driver should get notified from the OS that the display connection is back and re-enable the related screen. The driver includes specific code for supporting this behaviour, but from what you describe something in this process doesn't work correctly. It could be a bug on the driver side, but we need to investigate more.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
EdF

If you need any more info, just let me know.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Chuckv

Default Works fine for me on an ATen dual DVI switchbox

I'm running a 15" circa 2011 Macbook Pro, a 24" Samsung Syncmaster as my primary off the mini-display port, the Macbook pro to the right of that on a 3M LX550 vertical laptop stand, and a Monoprice labeled DisplayLink adaptor ("MS-UG19D1" '1920x1200' model) that is driving a Dell 2005FPW in portrait mode to the left of the main display. The DL is actually running off of a powered USB hub(linksys)

Everything above is switched between my Desktop PC system with ATI Radion 5770 card, using an ATEN CS1642 "USB 2.0 DVI Dual View KVMP switch" which is a two 'system' switch that has dual DVI ports for both systems. So the DVI output from the MiniDP adaptor and the DVI output from the DisplayLink are both running into the KVM, along with a USB connection for the mouse and keyboard.

So far the only issue I have is that my wireless mouse seems to hesitate a bit now and then (might just need to relocate the receiver) Video switches just fine between the two systems, and the quality of the display images is also good.

The ATEN switchbox is not cheap (around $300) but it comes with cables and has so far been pretty solid (and got great reviews), there are a few cheaper dual DVI boxes to be found, but they come sans cables and the reviews indicate a number of problems with things getting out of sync. For anyone wanting to switch between two systems using dual monitors, I'd recommend this switchbox.

I did have to update to the 'alpha' driver as with Lion 10.7.3 and your release driver I was not able to run the Dell2005FPW rotated into portrait mode (it would switch, but the display was garbled, monitor seemed to have issues even trying to sync up). The alpha driver took care of that problem. Although I had to use the CMD-OPT-click_displays trick to get it to show me the rotation control for the Dell.. which is strange, you would think it would KNOW that display features rotation, but huh, guess not)

I'll update if I notice any problems after reboots etc, but so far it is solid and I am happy.