Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.6 Software Release

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
bob7123

Default External monitor crashes on Dell M4300

Hello,

I am having a strange problem. I have a Dell Laptop (Precision M4300, with Nvidia Quadro FX 360M video controller) and your software seems to be crashing my external monitor. (The one that is connected to the Laptop’s video card, not a BVU195)

I have a BVU195, but I have determined that the problem occurs after I install your 5.6 drivers, and before I even connect the BVU195.

Here are the steps I have taken:

1) Ensure all drivers and BIOS are up to date on my computer by checking support.dell.com.

2) Installed the latest version of the windows certified Nvidia drivers using Nvidia’s automatic hardware detection tool, which selected version 266.58.

3) Install DisplayLink drivers from your website (v5.6)

If I do steps 1 and 2, the computer runs fine. Once I do step 3, problems start. (They also occur if I actually attach a BVU195 as well, but I thought it simpler to document when the problem first arises.

The problem is that using the external (Nvidia connected) monitor will sometimes cause it to go blank. This seems to happen at random, but can be made to happen quickly by opening a browser window and going to a site that has flash. A great way to do this is to watch a YouTube video, although flash is not required; I often run into this problem when I scroll down a long news article.

I should add that when I open a browser window in the primary monitor, there is never a problem, I can watch videos and do whatever else I want without crashing anything.

Once the external monitor goes blank, I can only reboot to solve the problem. If I try to work with the desktop properties to uncheck the attached property of the blank monitor, the system hangs. In fact, merely selecting the “Identify” option will cause a system hang (no num lock response) which then requires a power cycle.

I saw that you have a DisplayLink Support Tool which I downloaded and ran twice. Once for the installation of the DisplayLink Drivers and once after a crash of the external monitor (fortunately I was able to run this from the main monitor)

I hope that you can help me with this problem. If there is anything that you would like me to try, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Bob

Last edited by bob7123; 04-05-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
bob7123

Update:

SORRY! It looks like my Dell laptop video card is bad. Please disregard the message above.

Also, FYI Dell Laptops have a known issue where the GPU goes bad. There was a class action settlement which gives users like me an extra year of warranty support. (In case others see this post.)

Details here: http://en.community.dell.com/dell-bl...hancement.aspx

Again sorry for the confusion, but I wanted to leave this up in case others ran in to a similar and very confusing situation.

P.S. I have set up an additional BVU195 in place of the external monitor connection to the laptop until I get it fixed. Works great!