Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release

Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Pammylu

Default Unexpected limitation of resolutions offered

Can't figure this one out...

Driving two displays from my MacBook Pro 13", one is a 24" Samsung Syncmaster T2440HD LCD and the other is a Gateway 24" FPD2485W LCD. I'm using the Apple mini-display adapter (DVI) to drive the Samsung and the WS Tech USB-DVI (w/UGA converter to HDMI) adapter with DisplayLink Mac driver 1.5 to drive the Gateway. The Apple mini-display adapter gives me the expected 1920x1200 (60 Hz) resolution offering on the list of supported resolutions and works great. The USB-DVI adapter recognizes the Gateway and offers a list of resolutions, but stops at the highest 1680x1050 (60 Hz), and does not offer the expected 1920x1200 supported by the display. I had used that Gateway on another PC for a few years and it gave me wonderful 1920x1200 resolution.

When I switch the connectors to drive the opposite displays, then the Gateway works fine at 1920x1200 on the Apple DVI mini-adapter, but the Samsung then experiences the limitation of 1680x1050 (60 Hz). This leads me to believe that either the DisplayLink adapter and/or driver is the culprit or possibly, it could be the UGA to HDMI converter. Odd thing is that I was using an NEC MultiSynch 20WMGx2 20" plasma display instead of the Gateway, and it works just great at its highest posted resolution of 1680x105 (60Hz). Does anyone know if this is a bug that needs more work? When I've asked about it on other forums, they tell me to make sure I am using DVI on the Gateway, which I am. Please help if you can figure this out.... thx, pam

P.S. I downloaded the 1.6 driver today and have the exact same results. Have rebooted plenty of times, too. Also, I get no problems with these two external displays using the clamshell method of keeping the MBP closed.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
IcyMidnight

Are you talking about these adapters?

You need to check that the adapter can support the resolution you're looking for. The hardware in each of them is limited to a certain resolutions (e.g. mine stops at 1600x1200).
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Pammylu

Yes, mine is the WS-UGA17M1 model from that website, which states on the website as supporting models up to 1920x1080, but also has 1920x1200 listed in the manual page as being supported if the display can go that high. Both my displays are rated at 1920x1200, and I have had them them both display that reso individually.

Another interesting fact... this morning, Apple downloaded an update (2 files) and when it was all complete, now my display settings list on my MBP show both displays being 'found' on the list and both displays showing the 1920x1200 mode as available, however, when I select that mode for the display that is on the DisplayLink adapter, the screen shows the message "Mode Not Supported." The other display is just fine at 1920x1200. hmmmm... still a conundrum.