Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
palsecam

Question Need clarification regarding performance impact

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop.

Its primary usage is a professional usage, I want to connect two external monitors.
I can also, sometimes, play some games (still using on the external monitors).

Your FAQ tells that gamers should look elsewhere. What is unclear is why.

Firstly, does gaming on an external monitor actually uses the internal GPU (Nvidia or AMD) of the laptop ?
Secondly, is there an impact on the performance ? I not only ask regarding the framerate (which I expect to be equals to what the laptop can do on the built-in screen), but also on the latency (does the usb link add time to display the image) ?

I'm not a hard-core gamer (not e-sport player ), but I play some real games. I don't understand if your techs applies to me. I sit in the "grey zone".

My alternatives are :
  1. Buy a professional laptop with out-of-the-box support for proprietary docking station (Lenovo T, Dell XPS) ==> quite expensive
  2. Buy a "common" laptop or "gamer" laptop (good for gaming but also good for heavy workload in my job), with an USB docking station - if side effects are acceptable
  3. Use a USB docking station for everything but the HDMI connector to plug my main external monitor, to benefits the full performances of the GPU

Thanks for clarification.
palsecam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
performances