Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
yuvalr

Default Installing drivers doesn't work

Hi,

I have a Samsung 530U3B-A01 laptop running Windows 7, and I'm trying to connect to it 4 Dell U2312HM monitors. I bought a D-Link DUB-1340 4-way USB 3.0 hub, connected it to a USB 3.0 port on the laptop on the one end, and to 4 DisplayLink USB display adapters. IT doesn't work

First, it almost worked - it managed to make 3 of the 4 monitors work. I assumed it's one of USB display adapters that's malfunctioning, but uninstalling the DisplayLink SW and reinstalling made a different monitor to stop working. Looked like there's some 3 monitor limit I hit. Funny enough, 3 monitors worked also when I connected to a USB 2 port (which I initially did, because I didn't know it was a USB 2 port).

After numerous uninstalling and reinstalling, things got much worse. Now drivers fail to install properly ("device unplugged", see attached screen capture, but it is plugged), and I get at most one monitor to show something, but the system keeps trying, and every few seconds the monitors (the laptop's and the external one) blink. Awful. So I thought it's something with my Windows that's gone weird with all the uninstalling/reinstalling. I tried it with a friend's computer and the same thing happened!

So now I'm clueless... What can I do?
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DisplayLinkError.jpg (19.6 KB, 4 views)
yuvalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you attach the DisplayLink logs as described here:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
yuvalr

Went through the instructions in that thread:

- Check DisplayLink software is installed
Yes, it is.

- Check the DisplayLink Service is running
Yes, it is.

- Check the DisplayLink USB device appears in the device manager.
One adapter appears as "DisplayLink Diaplay Adapter (4300)" with an "USB3 to DVI" entry. Another one appears as "DisplayLink Diaplay Adapter (C300)" (note the "C300" instead of "4300") with a" Manufacturing Test Mode" entry (instead of "USB3 to DVI". And the other two don't appear at all.

- Check the Product ID of the DisplayLink USB device
Check for the two adapters that show up in Device Manager.

- PID_8060?
No.

- Check that the latest graphics driver is installed
Did a Samsung SW update for everything.

- Check that the latest USB 3.0 host controller driver is installed
Same.

- Still having problems after following the above steps?
Yes.
Downloaded the debug tool. Ran "System Compatibility Check" and it complained about old ASMedia driver. Downoaded the newest one and then the "System Compatibility Check" passed, but the problem persisted. Ran "Gather Support Information" with advanced logging. Attached.

Thanks for looking into it!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ORIT-PC_20130603_233748.zip (791.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

It looks like some of the adapters have been incorrectly programmed - suggest returning these to the manufacturer.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
yuvalr

Yes, replacing the devices helped. Thanks! The funny thing is, that at least most, if not all, the malfunctioning devices did work initially (3 out of 4), and gone bad in the past week or two, since I got them. Very poor quality devices...

Thanks anyway!