Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #121
luiset83

The reality is that as newer laptops come with DisplayPort, sometimes in addition to HDMI and/or VGA, docking stations based on this technology will become a thing of the past.

See for example:
http://www.displayport.org/cables/dr...ayport-output/

In the meantime, yes, DisplayLink is shooting themselves in the foot not supporting Linux OS's....
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #122
Cedric

I do not understand why DisplayLink does not develop a bit more than Mac in order to bring to Ubuntu users a functional device ! Today you must consider Windows, Mac dans Ubuntu as worldwide OS.

I bought a Dell XPS 13 certified by Canonical for Ubuntu OS use. Dell told me when I was ordering there were not any problem of compatibility with your D 3000. It cost me 150 € ! Finally it sleeps in my office waiting for your team to bring a simple linux support....

+1000 for linux support !!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #123
David Raymond

Like many others, I want to be able to use a docking station with Linux. Please bring this up the priority list!

Others - please keep signing the petition on change.org
Old 05-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #124
nanoop13

Default The Universal Truth

Hi DL,

Now I am not saying that you are completely useless, but releasing display link drivers for USB 3.0 on Linux ain't your piece of cake.

Now I am not saying that you have incompetent developers or your Business Strategy team sucks, but releasing display link drivers for USB 3.0 on Linux ain't your piece of cake.

And also I am not saying that you will be ever be satisfied licking Microsoft because Satya Nadella & other folks at Microsoft enjoy it very much and they won't let you explore other world of possibilities.

Can't wait for the day when Google takes over Microsoft in OS business( Just like Android took over IOS ) and The Great Google OS does not support display link in either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. Well then, since your lazy employees will be jobless, you can get them recruited at Microsoft.

You want to become "Android" by being consumer friendly or some deprecated thing of the past?

Sorry if I intentionally or unintentionally did hurt your feelings, but if you can not deliver to people buying your products, nothing about you should be taken care of.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #125
khamer

The petition has now reached 600 signatures in ~5 months.

Let's be civil, this is a negligent company decision, not the fault of the engineers in here. DisplayLink doesn't believe there's sufficient interest to make it worth their while to support linux, and we're trying to establish that they're wrong.

DisplayPort is nice but most laptops and ultrabooks only have one DisplayPort port, and would rely on USB3.0 to power a second external monitor.

I got rid of the $200 Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock I had purchased, because it didn't make sense to continue waiting without any indication from DisplayLink if they're ever going to resolve this.

DisplayLink, what would it take to establish sufficient interest to at least work with the open source community to get DL-3000 series drivers under way?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #126
David Raymond

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiset83 View Post
The reality is that as newer laptops come with DisplayPort, sometimes in addition to HDMI and/or VGA, docking stations based on this technology will become a thing of the past.

See for example:
http://www.displayport.org/cables/dr...ayport-output/

In the meantime, yes, DisplayLink is shooting themselves in the foot not supporting Linux OS's....
I would still want a docking station even with DisplayPort - I'd like to connect all my peripherals, including monitors, with a single USB 3.0 connection to make docking and undocking quick and easy.

The petition now over 700 signatures - interesting that no-one from DisplayLink as commented on this thread for a long time. Is anyone there?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #127
surjio

The best incentive we can all offer this rubbish company is to vote with our wallets and buy other machines which have proper docking connectors. With a bit of luck they'll go out of business and the good companies will survive.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:35 AM   #128
Blastyr

I could apologize in advance for the hostility that will probably come across in the tone of this post, but it wouldn't be sincere. It is clear to me that DisplayLink has no concern for the exploding demographic of users who run Linux, and therefore I'm not concerned with being polite. I will, however, keep my language in check, as I'd prefer it read rather than deleted.

I switched to Linux as my primary OS in 2008, and I've never looked back. Over time, I've been extricating myself from Windows entirely. It's no longer installed as a host OS (not even dual-boot) on any of my machines, and if I didn't need to test on multiple platforms (I'm a developer), I wouldn't even keep it around in a VM. It is (sans the testing bit) wholly unnecessary for anything I do - work or play. I have Steam with an ever-growing library of games (not to mention the games that are just plain native [thanks, Humble Bundle]), a web browser, LibreOffice for those trying times when I have to interact with someone living in the past, my entire toolchain for work, teleconferencing with Google Hangouts...and multiple displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
[...] As the Linux community hasn't adopted multiple displays [...]
What planet do you live on? I and three of my coworkers use Linux all day at work with three displays each. Two on Debian using Gnome, one on Ubuntu using Unity, and myself on Linux Mint using Cinnamon. In all cases, hotplugging these displays and configuring them took literally seconds. I know many dozens of others that use Linux, and the overwhelming majority of them do so with more than one display (six, in one case). So, when you state that Linux users don't use multiple displays, you're either being blatantly ignorant or deliberately untruthful. In either case, you should just shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
[...] or created "easy to use" DisplayLink drivers for the DL-1x5 chips, justifying the work we would have to do to enable DL-3xxx support on Linux is difficult. So if you want to help show there is demand for DL-3xxx Linux drivers, making drivers stable and easy to use for the DL-1x5 family and showing demand for these USB 2.0 products on Linux first would be the catalyst to get DL-3xxx family support on Linux. [...]
This is absolutely the most backwards way of thinking I've ever heard. Open-source is not about getting other people to write your code for you, but I suspect you know that and are just trying to get the community to do it for you anyway. I'm gonna go ahead and point out that it's very likely that the reason there's so little interest in Linux support for the DL-3xxx series is precisely because there's no support. Your product doesn't do anything compelling to make us want to use it because when we plug it in, it literally doesn't do anything compelling (or at all). You've proven you don't care to support us, so we've moved on.

I'll be physically breaking this waste of $100 to vent some of my anger, and then disposing of it. Goodbye, and good riddance.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #129
thnld

Hi,
this video shows how Chrome OS supports displaylink apparently quite well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW0QNcr6aJ0
Chrome OS is linux based. This indicates that there is some working implementation.
Please,
explain this.
Please,
make this code available on both Chrome OS and other linux flavours.
Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #130
raoulbhatia

Default Which other product to use?

So, while DisplayLink is deciding on that matter,
which other product, maybe from a different company, should we use to connect two (or even more) monitors to our laptops?

I have purchased a Lenovo ThinPad Dock 3.0 for my Lenovo X1 Carbon,
but as i require Linux for my daily work, this does not work out...
Closed Thread