Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
RBHCSD

Default Yosemite Beta Driver Not Working - Blank Screen

I have a single DisplayLink USB3 Adaptor (MDS3900) attached to my MacBook Pro (15-inch display, Late 2011) version. While running Maverick (10.9) everything worked fine. I upgraded to Yosemite and it quite working.

I installed the new (Oct 2014) Beta driver for OS X and it started working again.

Setup Configuration -
I have a Dell P2414H 24" Display hooked to my Thunderbolt and another Dell P2414H 24" Display hooked to my DisplayLink adaptor. Both are running in 1920 x 1080 resolution mode and the Graphics Chip in my laptop is the AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1024 MB.

Currently running 10.10.1 version of Yosemite (OSX).

I leave my laptop closed (clam shell) and only use the (2) 24" Displays while in the office.

Last week I put my system to sleep, unconnected everything and took my laptop to do a briefing. I opened up the laptop, logged in, and then connect the LCD Projector to my Thunderbolt/Lightening port using an VGA Adaptor. Everything worked perfectly. NOTE - the DisplayLink stayed in my office as I only use it there to get the two 24" displays working.

When the briefing was over, I disconnected the VGA adaptor, put my system back to sleep by closing the lid and then went back to my office. I plugged everything back in again and hit the return key on my keyboard to wake the system back up. Now the only display that works is the one connected to my Thunderbolt. The display hooked to my DisplayLink never wakes up and Display Preferences only shows the one display attached to the laptop.

I've installed the DisplayLink driver, rebooted my laptop, reinstalled the beta driver, rebooted the system, and still the DisplayLink does not work. I've opened up my laptop and the internal LCD screen comes on and Display Preferences now shows I have 2 displays, but the DisplayLink monitor is still dead.

I swapped the displays around and which ever monitor is attached to the DisplayLink does not work. I am using the dongle on the DisplayLink to go from DVI to VGA as that is the port I'm using on the monitors.

Looking at the console log file, here are the messages I get every time I plug in the DisplayLink.

12/3/14 11:24:54.000 AM kernel[0]: USBF: 15064.526 IOUSBCompositeDriver(Ella R䉥ﮝ땼鵝ꎽ)::GetConfigDescriptor - GetFullConfigDescriptor(0) #2 returned NULL, trying ResetDevice and then trying again

12/3/14 11:24:54.000 AM kernel[0]: USBF: 15064.697 IOUSBCompositeDriver(Ella R䉥ﮝ땼鵝ꎽ)::ConfigureDevice GetFullConfigDescriptor(0) #3 returned NULL, giving up

12/3/14 11:24:54.526 AM UserEventAgent[16]: assertion failed: 14B25: com.apple.telemetry + 22265 [B2D9FFC4-66B7-3739-AFFA-A7E4BDE84A2B]: 0xffffffffe00002be

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working once again??

Thanks!
RBHCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

I have never seen that kind of log before. It's coming from the composite driver, which means the device interfaces are never made available on the system.
Our driver does not even get a chance to connect to the device, so we can only focus on the device, the cable or the OS.

To check the device you could try a different computer. The cable is unlikely to be the problem: would be a rare coincidence to always fail at that stage.
The OS might be the problem since you are mentioning that this issue did not happen with a different version. I have not seen this reported elsewhere so you may have an issue. I'd repair permissions and if fails reinstall on top of the current OS.

Any other ideas welcome.

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
purpleunicycle

I'm having exactly the same issue that RBHCSD describes. Really frustrating that it has been working and now will not. I too tried to same things as described above to fix, but still not working. Anyone any further ideas?
purpleunicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
RBHCSD

Thanks Carlo. I have installed and reinstalled several times without success in getting it to work again.

You mention "repairing permissions," how and what permissions need to be repaired?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
purpleunicycle

As I said earlier, I'm having EXACTLY the same issue and have an almost identical setup as described in the first post. I've tried everything now, but get no graphics output anymore. I've uninstalled the driver, repaired the Mac disk permissions, re-installed the 2.3b driver, still nothing. It's so frustrating knowing that is _was_ working and has for some strange reason just stopped.

Is there any method or tool to diagnose more details?
purpleunicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

BHCSD,

We have looked at the logs you have sent through our support website.
From the logs the device seems to be broken.

I have asked our technical support to advise you about how to return your unit. Usually this goes through the manufacturer.

Cheers,
Carlo
Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleunicycle View Post
As I said earlier, I'm having EXACTLY the same issue and have an almost identical setup as described in the first post. I've tried everything now, but get no graphics output anymore. I've uninstalled the driver, repaired the Mac disk permissions, re-installed the 2.3b driver, still nothing. It's so frustrating knowing that is _was_ working and has for some strange reason just stopped.

Is there any method or tool to diagnose more details?
Hi purpleunicycle,

The best thing is to send us your logs.

The log tool is at http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269
You can attach the logs here or send them through http://www.displaylink.com/support/ask_question.php

Best regards,
Carlo
Old 12-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #8
RBHCSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
BHCSD,

I have asked our technical support to advise you about how to return your unit. Usually this goes through the manufacturer.

Cheers,
Carlo
Thanks Carlo! I was contacted today via email that they are sending a replacement unit and a label for me to return the broken unit. I appreciate they assistance!!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
RBHCSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
BHCSD,

Cheers,
Carlo
Carlos - Just a quick note that the replacement unit arrived. I plugged it into my system and the monitor came up and is working perfectly! I am shipping the old unit out today, so they should get it to your technical support team sometime next week.

Thanks again for all the help!

Tags
osx yosemite beta borken