Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release

Old 07-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #11
Hart Bezner

Default MBP late 2008

Installed Lion Wednesday morning. All appeared to go remarkably well, but noticed that the USB monitor no longer worked. Downloaded and installed 1.7b2. The system did NOT recover from the required reboot, but hung. Had to recover from a clone of 10.6.8 and re-install Lion. Won't try again until some light is shed on this issue.

Such is life on the bleeding edge ......

PS: It's a late 2008 MBP 5,1 with 8GB of memory. After downloading LION a second time, I deleted 1.7b2 and rebooted. There were still issues. I'm beginning to suspect that the dual GPUs (9400 and 9600) may cause problems. It's also possible that the 8GB memory is too large. LION was brought up with the 9400 GPU. Trying to switch over to the 9600 caused the system to hang - all without the DisplayLink driver.

Would be good to hear from someone with the same MBP model, but with 4MB.

Update, Friday, July 22:

I discovered, after trying many things, that if you run your late 2008 MBP in 9600 mode, all "appears" to be well. DisplayLink seems to function. A double boot may be required after you install 1.7b2.

An interesting thing happened as I was testing. I took a screen shot on the third screen, something that didn't work for me with earlier versions. When I tried to reposition the screen-shot icon, it stuck to the mouse pointer and could not be shaken off. I then "uninstalled" 1.7b2 and things returned to normal. You should be on the lookout for this potential problem. Again it might be confined to the late 2008 MBP - but we'll see ......

Nasty problems surface if you install 1.7b2 while the machine is in 9400 mode. Furthermore, even nastier things happen if, after you get things working in 9600 mode, you attempt to switch back to the 9400 GPU.

¡buena suerte!

Last edited by Hart Bezner; 07-22-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: New insights
Old 07-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
vaporland

Default 15-inch Early 2008 MBP working!

I have the 15-inch Early 2008 MBP (MacBookPro4,1).

After installing the 1.7b2 driver, my external monitor is working, but I didn't have the 'rotation' option displayed. I did this: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=301 and was able to rotate the display - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Thanks for updating for Lion - it is greatly appreciated that my two USB-to-DVI devices will continue to function under OSX 10.7!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
Tangarama

Default 1.7b2 Lion - Losing the Drag & Drop-Functionality

Hi,

after installing the 1.7b2-Driver I lose the Drag & Drop-Functionality. Copying files is really horrible now. I have installed Lion 4 times again (including 2 clean installations without a TimeMaschine-Backup) and after I'll install the Driver, I can't drop any icon...

Sounds like I'll try to kidding you, but... that's the truth!

I attach you the Diagnostics...
Now... Back to SnowLeopard... Can't life without a second big display.

Regards
Jean
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (228.1 KB, 478 views)
Old 07-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
justfred

I purchased an iOmega USB2-DVI adapter yesterday, installed Lion yesterday morning. Used the 1.7b2 drivers, and they didn't work - the OS recognized the device but nothing displayed on the monitor (or a message, sleep mode, depending on the monitor).

After various tries, I removed Air Display (that lets me use an iPad as an external display) as it's similar functionality and I suspected it might be conflicting. Didn't help, but after re-installing the 1.7b2 drivers, the monitor began working.

Maybe this is useful to someone else?
Old 07-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #15
Uthacalthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangarama View Post
Hi,

after installing the 1.7b2-Driver I lose the Drag & Drop-Functionality. Copying files is really horrible now. I have installed Lion 4 times again (including 2 clean installations without a TimeMaschine-Backup) and after I'll install the Driver, I can't drop any icon...

Regards
Jean
This is a known issue, that we've been dealing with on the Apple Support Communities forums as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15667903

It's not just limited to DisplayLink, (although that was the cause for both myself and the original poster) there are various External Display drivers affected (Like AirDisplay, DisplayPad, iDisplay, etc).

In all cases, uninstalling the driver (particularly, removing the KEXT from /S/L/E) resolves the problem.

Also, I had the same problem with the Snow Leopard DisplayLink drivers installed (I didn't remove them before installing Lion), then found the problem reoccurring once I installed the latest Lion Beta drivers.

Still, that's what Beta programs are for - to identify and resolve problems :-)

Last edited by Uthacalthing; 07-22-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Added Link to same issue in Apple Support Forum
Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
ichilton

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

I have been using the DisplayLink drivers for over a year on Snow Leopard and all was fine until I updated to Lion and started having display problems - login screen and apps not drawing properly, although the content is there because if you click around blindly, things happen.

(the monitor on the usb adapter seemed to be working fine but the display problems affected all screens, not just the one on the usb adapter using DisplayLink).

I tried installing the 1.7b2 drivers and it didn't help at all.

Last night I did a clean install of Lion and all was fine....until I installed the DisplayLink 1.7b2 drivers and then on reboot the login screen wasn't drawn again - I could login blind and apps were not displaying either so same problem.

Uninstalling DisplayLink fixes the problem again.

Thanks,

Ian
Old 07-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #17
Uthacalthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangarama View Post
Hi,

Regards
Jean
I forgot to ask, I'd be very curious to know if you're on a MacBook or a Desktop of some description. You said "second big display", so I'm assuming Desktop.

Out of a dozen reports in the Apple forums, every single one was on a Macbook(Pro).

What we found: Put the computer to sleep, then wake again, worked for most to re-enable drag-and-drop. Give that a try and let me know if it works for you?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #18
ichilton

Hi,

I've got a 2009 17" Macbook Pro and I got the drag & drop problem and the 'lots of things not drawing' problem.

Ian
Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
Tangarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthacalthing View Post
I forgot to ask, I'd be very curious to know if you're on a MacBook or a Desktop of some description. You said "second big display", so I'm assuming Desktop.
MacBookPro MID 2009 with 2x 22" and the 15" from the MBP.
I'm a programmingdrone, and I need more than one big display to code.

Quote:
What we found: Put the computer to sleep, then wake again, worked for most to re-enable drag-and-drop. Give that a try and let me know if it works for you?
HEHEHE Okay... Reinstalling now the Lion...
I was really suprised about the drag & drop bug... After 30 Years with computers, the Mac is the first bastard that was kidding me.

BTW: Beta is beta... Finding bugs, killing bugs... I know it

Regards from germany
Jean
Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
Tangarama

Quote:
Works!

Thanks a lot...

Jean