Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > What to buy?

Old 01-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
gatorparrots

Default Dell P2416D (2560x1600) for Mac

I have a Dell P2416D (24" inch size with 27" resolution -- 2560x1600) for my Mac, currently hooked up via HDMI to an Elgato Thunderbolt desktop hub. I can do 2560x1440 at 15 or 30Hz (ouch!) —*this uses the built-in anemic Intel HD Graphics 5000 1GB that my laptop has on board.

I also bought a goFanco USB 3 to HDMI (DisplayLink DL-3500 chipset). That lets me get 2560x1440 over HDMI at a more respectable p50 (50Hz) — and looks generally sharper. Unfortunately, i've been following the Mac driver updates and over the last summer & fall (2 updates), the CPU usage was VERY high at ~22% just for the DisplayLink driver. That's been curbed in the latest beta driver from December, but sometimes still spikes on my CPU meter. Also, i see very visible artifacting in the Adobe CS5 suite that is critical to my work. Mostly around pallets and dialog boxes where there is transparency or drop shadows. So those two things make it something of a deal-killer for me.

I am wondering, since my monitor also has a full size DisplayPort port, if I would be better served going with a DisplayLink device that goes from USB3 to DisplayPort. Do those DisplayLink chipsets fare better, are they more powerful? Would DisplayPort serve me better in my case? Or am i driver-bound by the DisplayLink drivers? Any differences or benefits of DisplayPort over HDMI?
gatorparrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
gatorparrots

For example, this product uses the stronger DL-5500, achieving 2560x1600 at 60Hz with my monitor. Would that likely reduce CPU usage and possibly with the digital link reduce artifacting, or is that still a driver issue?

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-USB3...dp/B00OSMYI18/
gatorparrots is offline   Reply With Quote