Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 03-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
TheRiz

Default iMac Waking from Sleep

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

3 monitor display

Monitor using display link is the only monitor to 'wake up' and show anything on screen after coming back from sleep mode.

The main monitor and a second monitor (run through thunderbolt) show a black screen as if they are still asleep.

Unplugging and plugging display link USB fixes the issue, but it's very inconvenient.

Wanted to report. Thx
TheRiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
FSS

Angry Update for users?

Agreed. Same issue here. Currently a HUGE inconvenience for us & how we use our visual systems. Would be great to get an update on when a possible fix would be. I currently have to unplug the usb cable for the display adaptor to reboot or to re log in. Doesn't always work, but its better then a black screen.
FSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi TheRiz, FFS,

Probably you're seeing a known issue that Apple has fixed this in 10.12.4 beta 4, the fix seems to be still working in beta 7.
We keep the Sierra issues page updated as things change: http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...cos-10-12-sier

With this fix Sierra is the best operating system we've seen since Mavericks, at least if your settings don't expose 29825934.
Still, it's far from perfect so please do raise with Apple any bugs with screen corruption or missing content.
Apple developers have been doing a sterling job recently and we should all encourage them to continue!

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
justme

i have a problem that looks similar:

- mac mini
- 3 displays, 1 dvi, 1 thunderbolt, 1 displaylink
- if the displays come back from sleep the thunderbolt display stays blank most of the time

this is not fixed in 12.10.4 beta 8

Last edited by justme; 03-22-2017 at 12:32 PM.
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Vasile1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
i have a problem that looks similar:

- mac mini
- 3 displays, 1 dvi, 1 thunderbolt, 1 displaylink
- if the displays come back from sleep the thunderbolt display stays blank most of the time

this is not fixed in 12.10.4 beta 8
I have two external monitors, I use HDMI and DisplayPort for them.

I lock the Mac, and after some time, I unlock it and one of the displays remain black.
I unplug DisplayLink USB port from Mac and plug it again to make it work, but this also does not always work!

Also, on the other monitor, that it is not black, the window of the program displayed there is moved, a bit or more, most of the time down (e.g. 300 px down). Clicking in the window (VMWare for example) will not function properly until I double click it to be "full screen" again (not other virtual desktop).

Did anyone have this problems? Carlos, did you reproduce this?
Vasile1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
mdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasile1337 View Post
I have two external monitors, I use HDMI and DisplayPort for them.

I lock the Mac, and after some time, I unlock it and one of the displays remain black.
I unplug DisplayLink USB port from Mac and plug it again to make it work, but this also does not always work!

Also, on the other monitor, that it is not black, the window of the program displayed there is moved, a bit or more, most of the time down (e.g. 300 px down). Clicking in the window (VMWare for example) will not function properly until I double click it to be "full screen" again (not other virtual desktop).

Did anyone have this problems? Carlos, did you reproduce this?
I have almost the same setup and always when unlocking, on the left screen all Apps are moved to the left. I can only see a small stripe of them and have to move them back into sight. Sometimes iTunes just wanders of to the other screen. That is really annoying.
Two Displays (1 HDMI direct, 1 HDMI via Dockingstation), MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016),Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB.
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB, Dell Dockingstation with DisplayLink 4K, Mac OS 10.12.3 (16D32), newest DisplayLink Drivers.

Any ideas?
mdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi All,

I'm counting at least three different issues here. It's usually best to create new topics to get a better discussion.

However, for everyone I'd suggest to try 10.12.4 and then let us know how it goes. What to do depends on the issue.

For TheRiz and FFS, please try 10.12.4. It would be great to know in this thread if it has improved your situation as it has done for us.

For justme, if Thunderbolt is behaving differently from the internal screen I'd raise a bug with Apple. It's unlikely we can change anything to help with this, but in case would be great to know what from Apple.
Please note that I've found several issues on various Mac sites about Thunderbolt screens blank after power state transitions. I'm sure Apple is working on it but still worth raising an issue to raise the priority of your use case.

For Vasile1337 and mdom, I think there are two issues.
The black DisplayLink screen after unlocking is something we want to improve for the next release. We have a series of improvements for a few issues that happen randomly and have similar behaviour. As usual, can't give target dates!
About the windows being moved, I have seen something similar. Quite rarely I have to say but when it happens it completely baffles me as the window seems to have disappeared when in reality I see just a corner of it in the corner of one screen.
I think this is worth a separate thread. We don't really control what is drawn where so I suspect a WindowServer issue. However I can't see a reproduction that can reliably tell Apple what to look for.
mdom's reproduction seems promising. Can you let me know how are your screens laid out and their size?

Kind regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
mdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi All,
We don't really control what is drawn where so I suspect a WindowServer issue. However I can't see a reproduction that can reliably tell Apple what to look for.
mdom's reproduction seems promising. Can you let me know how are your screens laid out and their size?

Kind regards,
Carlo
Hello Carlo,

sorry for the delay. I've been ill last week.

Ok. I got two Samsung 24" Displays (S24E560, 1920x1200) and i use also the internal monitor from my MacBookPro 15,4" (2880x1800).
They stand in front of me like this:

Samsung, Samsung, MacBook

My main monitor is the Samsung in the middle.
My MacBook does have a RadeOn Pro 450 (2048 MB)

The Windows are still moving to the left, only on the left monitor. They dont get smaller but they move and get broader. Sometimes iTunes wanders off to the monitor in the middle.

It doesn't happen always, but something like on a 80-90% basis. I think it also has something to do with time. The longer i wait, the higher is the chance of the moving windows.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Mario
mdom is offline   Reply With Quote