Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release

Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
lambretta

Default CPU being overworked by displaylinkmanager on 1.7 beta 3

Hi.

I did the beta 3 upgrade this morning and noticed a task in my Activity Monitor called displaylinkmanager was using in excess of 100% of the CPU consistently. I killed it using quit process and my monitor went off (the one using the display link adapter) and then came back on. The DisplayLInkManager process is still there but now only uses around 0.6% of the CPU.

This is my info, I bought the MBP about 2 years ago...

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Hope this is useful, keep up the good work
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
tsihh

Hi,

I had the same issue couple of days ago. After disconnecting and reconnecting the cpu usage went down

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 6 GB

Rgds,
Ahti
Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
ChristianP

Thanks for your report. We are trying to reproduce this issue. Does the problem happen at every restart or sleep/wakeup? If you are able to reproduce the issue easily, could you please download the new debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 and post the output file?. Switch first the log verbosity of the driver to DEBUG from the advanced menu (unplug and replug the adapter) , try to reproduce the issue and collect the information. Switch back the log verbosity to Info when fished. Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
lambretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
Thanks for your report. We are trying to reproduce this issue. Does the problem happen at every restart or sleep/wakeup? If you are able to reproduce the issue easily, could you please download the new debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 and post the output file?. Switch first the log verbosity of the driver to DEBUG from the advanced menu (unplug and replug the adapter) , try to reproduce the issue and collect the information. Switch back the log verbosity to Info when fished. Thanks
I can't get it to happen again, so it must just be something that happened once after the installation?

I've tried a reboot and a sleep but all is well on the CPU front.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
ChristianP

Ok, thanks for your answer.
We are still trying to identify the conditions that cause this behavior. If you happen to see the issue again, please report it. Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
lambretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
Ok, thanks for your answer.
We are still trying to identify the conditions that cause this behavior. If you happen to see the issue again, please report it. Thanks
Happened again this morning, very strange as I don't think I did anything different...

I used my laptop all weekend at home, without any external displays, then came into work, plugged in my displaylink USB adapter and the monitor via the display mort and the displaylink screen wasn't working properly (missing bits of graphics and generally being unresponsive) so I waited for the backup to complete then shut down the system. After restarting I think had to put it to sleep to stop the drag no drop thing from happening, and then I noticed the fans going mental - quick check of activity monitor and sure enough its that same process.

I force quit the process and when it came back on it was fine.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambretta View Post
Happened again this morning, very strange as I don't think I did anything different...

I used my laptop all weekend at home, without any external displays, then came into work, plugged in my displaylink USB adapter and the monitor via the display mort and the displaylink screen wasn't working properly (missing bits of graphics and generally being unresponsive) so I waited for the backup to complete then shut down the system. After restarting I think had to put it to sleep to stop the drag no drop thing from happening, and then I noticed the fans going mental - quick check of activity monitor and sure enough its that same process.

I force quit the process and when it came back on it was fine.
Thanks for your detailed report. We are trying to solve issue, even if it's not easy to replicate it. Any further information you get on how to reproduce it will be very helpful. Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
ChristianP

Could you please test the 1.7b4 driver and report if the CPU usage issue is fixed or if it is still there? Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #9
gillardm

I had this issue too. Just installing latest beta release will let you know if it recurs.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
falcom

Default High CPU in 1.7b4 with virtual screen sharing

I was encountering this under 1.7b3 and hoped it would go away with b4 but unfortunately it persists. I only see DisplayLink spinning a core when I'm connected via screen sharing and using the "virtual display" feature which is new to Lion's screen sharing. Everything seems to be but one core is completely maxed out. I'm running a fully patched clean 10.7.1 install on a 2011 15" MacBook Pro i7. I encountered the same issue on a much older 2007 MacBook Pro as well.

Mark