Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.4 Software Release

Old 10-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
HelixOne

Default Conflict between Windows 7 DisplayLink drivers and VMWare Fusion (bootcamp partition)

It seems what I am running into is a known issue with a conflict between DisplayLink drivers and VMWare Fusion. From: http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion...fusion_31.html

"A virtual machine powered on from the Boot Camp partition can fail if the Boot Camp partition uses a display connected as a USB device.
VMware Fusion does not support USB adapters for connecting displays to virtual machines, such as a DisplayLink USB adapter. Windows 7 running natively in a Boot Camp partition can support displays connected as a USB device. If you power on such a partition as a virtual machine, the Windows 7 guest operating system fails because of the USB device present. At this time, the only way to be able to power on the Boot Camp partition as a VMware Fusion virtual machine is to remove the USB display device driver from Boot Camp when you have booted into it natively. After this, you can power on the Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine, but neither the virtual machine nor the native Boot Camp partition will use the USB display."

I've attached my notes below, that I was planning to post to a VMWare forum, before discovering the known issue. At this point, I'm curious what the best way to get resolution to this issue, as removing the Displaylink drivers, as VMWare suggests, isn't very helpful, as I want to use Display link when I am booted up with the native Boot Camp partition. (I tried simply "disabling" them and that didn't work.)

Basically, I am running into an issue running a Bootcamp WIndows 7 64-bit partition under VMWare fusion on a machine that has a permanent DIsplayLink adapter attached.

I have it setup so that DisplayLink drivers are installed and running for both OSX and Windows 7, when I run them both bare metal.

However when I try to run the WIndows 7 under VMWare Fusion I get a BSOD, with the following info:

--------------------------------------------
vm3dmp.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is your first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is porperly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFF88002ECD000,0x0000000000000001,0xFFFFF8800 3B603B8,0
x0000000000000000

*** vm3dmp.sys - Address FFFFF88003B603B8 base at FFFFF88003B5C000, DateStamp
4bda90db

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.
--------------------------------------------
Old 11-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
martimic

Unhappy Ditto: Bootcamp Mac + VMware Fusion Bootcamp VM + Windows DisplayLink drivers = BSOD

Bump.

I am having precisely the same problem. I've got a Macbook Pro with 4 DisplayLink USB-DVI devices attached. I'm dual-booting (aka "Bootcamp") OSX 10.6.5 and Win7 64-bit. After installing the DisplayLink drivers in Windows, when launching my Windows partition via VMware Fusion 3.1 in OSX, I get a bluescreen shortly after seeing the Windows splashscreen in the VM. This occurs whether or not I have my DisplayLink devices connected to my computer or not. In my case, all that needs to be done is to have the DisplayLink drivers in Windows installed, and attempt to use that Windows partition in VMware Fusion 3.1.

I have reproduced the issue by formatting my drive, installing OSX 10.6.5, Win 7 64-bit, the Windows DisplayLink driver v5.5, and VMware Fusion 3.1.

I have also reproduced the problem by formatting/installing as above, with the exception of trying the DisplayLink drivers currently provided by Microsoft Update (v5.2 I think?) instead of v5.5 as obtained from displaylink.com.

Can one of the developers grab a trial copy of VMware Fusion 3.1 from vmware.com and maybe develop a beta solution for us to test? (Nominating myself as a guinea pig)...
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Pawel

Lightbulb

Hi martimic,

You won't be able to launch your Windows partition via VMware Fusion becasue VMware is not supported by DisplayLink today.
Please refer to this FAQ for further info.

Regards
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Alan Jay Weiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Hi martimic,

You won't be able to launch your Windows partition via VMware Fusion becasue VMware is not supported by DisplayLink today.
Please refer to this FAQ for further info.

Regards
This appears to be true for VMware Workstation 7.1 also. (host is Windows 7 64-bit, guests are XP, Win 7 32-bit, or Win 7 64-bit)

Disappointing - I do all my software development in virtual machines so I keep toolsets isolated from each other. Multiple monitors are a huge convenience when developing software.

I'll have to return the DisplayLink adapter I purchased.

Pity - I would've purchased several more had it worked.