Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
mattgoody

Default MIMO 710S works on 1 vid card, not another

I have a Dell T5400 with an upgraded video card. It has been using the upgraded video card (Gigabyte branded GeForce GTX 760) for a few months now with no problems, but also without the MIMO USB monitor attached.

Today I got a new SSD, and did a clean installation of Windows 7 64bit Pro. I then connected the MIMO. At first it seemed like everything was normal, the new hardware status box saw it as "MIMO", found the drivers on windows update, downloaded and installed them, thus launching the displaylink software install as well.

Once it finished, my main screen went to 800x600 mode and it told me it was configuring my displaylink for first use. Then all of a sudden it tells me one of my USB devices is unrecognized and that the driver installation had failed. The new hardware status box still showed the MIMO had installed correctly but now also showed an Unrecognized Device that had failed to install.

When This happened, the "USB Display Adapter" section of the Device manager disappeared and a new Unknown Device was in the USB controllers section.

The MIMO was black through the whole process, with the blue power LED steady blue.

I tried restarting, switching USB ports, uninstalling the displaylink driver/software and reinstalling it, using different versions of it, etc. All with no luck.

Usually as soon as i connected the MIMO windows immediately told me that one of my connected USB devices was not functioning properly and it would show up as Unknown Device in device manager.

Sometimes, I think after installing new chipset drivers and restarting, the entire installation process (new hardware etc) would happen again, always with the same result whether I installed the DL drivers before plugging the MIMO into the computer, or if I let windows update handle it.

I then tried replacing the video card with a GeForce GTS 250 that was being used in another machine. To my surprise, when I plugged the MIMO in the install process finished and it set up for first use and then the MIMO actually turned on and functioned as it should.

I then put the GTX 760 back in, and when I plugged in the MIMO the dreaded Unknown Device was back.

Can anyone help me make it work with the GTX 760? I don't understand it at all. Same latest 335.23 drivers and all. The MIMO works fine on every other computer I own, just not this one with the upgraded video card.

Thanks,
Matt
Attached Files
File Type: zip THUMP_20140314_002616.zip (1.32 MB, 1 views)
mattgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
mattgoody

So, I ran usboblivion https://code.google.com/p/usboblivion/ and when i rebooted the MIMO was plugged in and instantly showed desktop! I even swapped its position and replugged it into another USB port and it still worked.

So I pull up chrome to come here and report that it was fixed, and while I was doing that I heard the unplug USB sound, my monitors went black, and then windows told me one of my USB devices has malfunctioned and was shut down. Same as when it never worked.

I'm baffled.

Attached the support zip again
Attached Files
File Type: zip THUMP_20140314_014745.zip (1.45 MB, 2 views)
mattgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
JamesH

Hi,

Does this happen if the GTX 760 is located in the other PCI-E slot on your desktop?

Your second set of logs show a memory dump:

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+9bbe2c )

Does this happen on older Nvidia drivers?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
SusiBiker

Unhappy

Hi JamesH,
Hope you can help...

I was running an ATI 5850 HD a while ago, and was having no issues.
I uninstalled the DisplayLink drivers, then -
I uninstalled the ATI drivers & software, shut down the PC, and fitted an EVGA GTX 770. The DisplayLink device was not connected.
I installed the NVIDIA drivers (can't remember which), and all was fine with the PC for a couple of months.
Yesterday, I decided to press an old monitor back into service using my DisplayLink adapter.
Plugged in the adapter, and Windows Update installed the latest drivers...

DisplayLink Software Release: External Release Note
Software Package: DisplayLink Graphics
Product Version: 7.6.55705.0
Product Date: 5th June 2014
DisplayLink Core Software Version: 7.6.55673.0
DisplayLink Core Software Date: 1st June 2014
DisplayLink DL-3xx0 / DL-5xx0 Firmware Version: 8.8.11.63470
DisplayLink DL-41xx Firmware Version: 8.8.11.63472

And there the fun began -

I get multiple crashes on startup and shutdown of nvlddmkm.sys -

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:

\Device\000000da
CMDre 00000000 00000080 00000000 00000005 00000010

And sometimes a few of these thrown in for good measure -

The description for Event ID 1 from source NvStreamSvc cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:

NvStreamSvc
NvVAD initialization failed [6]

This means that the PC will hang (blank screens) for about 5 minutes before shutting down, and will hang (blank screens) for about three minutes after the login screen appears.

I am running Win7x64Ult and have updated the NVIDIA drivers to the latest -
337.88-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe
and the problem is still there.
As soon as the adapter is removed - I get a working PC back again with no crashes.

All drivers on the system are the latest, and I'm now at a loss of how to proceed.
Any ideas?

Regards,
Susi xx

EDIT:-
Even with the DisplayLink unplugged, the errors continue - It happens when the screens are blanked (instead of a screensaver). The rate is about once every four seconds.
The only way to stop it is not to allow the monitors to go to sleep, or uninstall the DL drivers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OLYMPUS_20140613_190045.zip (771.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by SusiBiker; 06-13-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: More information added/Added Logfiles
SusiBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
JamesH

Hi,

Do you get this issue if you switch to the Aero mode?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
SusiBiker

Hi James, and thanks for the reply.

The PC has always been in Aero. Ever since installing the OS about six months ago. The theme is the basic "Harmony" one.

For the meantime (this is my Work-Computer), I've added the ATI card as a secondary video card and am using that to run the extra monitor. It's not ideal as the reason I wanted to use the DL adapter is that this monitor, while being DVI-D, does not appreciate DVI cables longer than a metre - it loses sync. A lot.
I've tried several different cables of varying quality, and the result is always the same: occasional drop-outs.

With the DL adapter in place, the display is reliable, as long as -
I don't start up or shut down my workstation, or blank the screens to save electricity...

Like I said, this is my work computer, and as such I have to use it all-day, pretty much every day.
If you can think of anything not too disruptive to try (during the week), I'm very happy to give it a shot, but it might not be until the weekend before I can do more drastic testing - If I trash my PC during the week, I'm in BIG trouble.

Regards, and thanks again,
Susi xx
SusiBiker is offline   Reply With Quote