Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 08-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
RobertCochran

Default Fedora 24 AMD64: evdi_painter_crtc_state_notify:362 Painter does not exist!

(Because it there's not enough room in the title: this is a crosspost from the
Github issues tracker - https://github.com/DisplayLink/evdi/issues/33)

As it says on the title.

Kernel: 4.6.4-301.fc24.x86_64
DisplayLink software: 1.1.65 (Installed from https://github.com/ssaavedra/display...5-5.x86_64.rpm)
Displays: ASUS MB169B+ x2

The ASUS logo is displayed then the screen turns back off when plugged in. No additional screens appear in any RandR tools.

Displays are known good: they work on this machine in Windows 10.
The RPM is known good: the driver works on another machine with Fedora 24 AMD64 and kernel 4.6.4-301.fc24.x86_64.

It doesn't seem to matter if I do one at a time or both of them at once.

The relevant portion of dmesg output:

Code:
[  119.773307] evdi: [D] add_store:195 Increasing device count to 1
[  119.775968] evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_init:304 drm_crtc_init: 0
[  119.776347] evdi: [W] evdi_painter_crtc_state_notify:362 Painter does not exist!
[  119.776359] evdi: [D] evdi_detect:72 Painter is disconnected
[  119.776373] evdi evdi.0: No connectors reported connected with modes
[  119.776381] [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes - going 1024x768
[  119.782981] evdi evdi.0: fb1: evdidrmfb frame buffer device
[  119.782996] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[  119.783003] [drm] No driver support for vblank timestamp query.
[  119.783009] [drm] evdi: evdi_stats_init
[  119.783034] [drm] Initialized evdi 1.1.65 20160512 on minor 1
[  119.878077] evdi: [W] evdi_painter_disconnect:462 (dev=0) An unknown connection to ffff88036f437a00 tries to close us
[  119.878086] evdi: [W] evdi_painter_disconnect:463  - ignoring
Attached Files
File Type: zip SoraLaptop_2016-08-01T11:17:03.558863.zip (5.74 MB, 1 views)
RobertCochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
RobertCochran

I've done some more digging through the code. My issues appears to be that the
DRM_IOCTL_EVDI_CONNECT isn't being sent to the evdi module in my configuration.
Best I can tell, this indicates an issue in the DisplayLinkManager program.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
sky4vip

Default Same issue

I have (and reproduce) same issue as above w/ same error in dmesg.

Monitor known good, works in Ubuntu 16.04 as well as Win 10.

Station is a plugable usb 3.0 docking station, monitor is external Dell 2208WFPt

Will update when/if I get to look at referenced rpm source [1] and displaylink reference.

[1] https://github.com/ssaavedra/display...5-5.x86_64.rpm
sky4vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
mlukaszek

It is hard to tell exactly what's happening, but DisplayLinkManager clearly has some problems with connecting to EVDI nodes on your machine - as in, I am certain that a call to evdi_connect fails, but it may even not get to this - our logging is not too verbose by default so can't tell for sure without a repro.

Is it possible that this started since an update of the package? Has it ever worked for you, using a previous version for example?

Note that we are unable to reproduce this with an identical device - running Ubuntu and official package though.

Edit: I managed to upgrade my FC23 installation to FC24 (running 4.6.6) and tried the RPM you linked with two identical ASUS monitors. As you see they worked for me. Obviously my host is different.

2016-08-17 11.04.41.jpg

Could you try with Ubuntu on your setup for comparison?

If possible I recommend trying with a shorter/better quality USB cable, and/or a connection through a powered hub.

You also mention that the monitors work with Windows. If you use another O/S, it's possible that a firmware package for the monitors is being changed upon connecting - and with these monitors it can take quite long (can be about 30 secs I think), and Linux driver does not show any notifications that this is happening.
Can you connect one of them and keep it connected for longer to be sure that the firmware image is fully flashed to it? The logo should appear for a moment, then the screen turns black during the update, then the logo should reappear for a moment and soon after this the driver should start displaying pixels. If this succeeds, try with the second screen.

Cheers,
Michal

PS: Sorry for a delay, it's a holiday season and things are a bit slower than usual

Last edited by mlukaszek; 08-17-2016 at 10:39 AM. Reason: displaylink -> displaying ;-)
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #5
RobertCochran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukaszek View Post
It is hard to tell exactly what's happening, but DisplayLinkManager clearly has some problems with connecting to EVDI nodes on your machine - as in, I am certain that a call to evdi_connect fails, but it may even not get to this - our logging is not too verbose by default so can't tell for sure without a repro.
I have debug printout patches in both evdi and libevdi. In my tests with these versions, the call never happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukazek View Post
Is it possible that this started since an update of the package? Has it ever worked for you, using a previous version for example?
No, I've only ever used this package. I haven't had my displays long enough to use any prior version.

Quote:
Edit: I managed to upgrade my FC23 installation to FC24 (running 4.6.6) and tried the RPM you linked with two identical ASUS monitors. As you see they worked for me. Obviously my host is different.

Attachment 2823
Unsurprising, given my relative lack of luck compared to other people I've had try. :P

Quote:
Could you try with Ubuntu on your setup for comparison?
I'm willing to try it, but I'm not sure how to go about this. I'm certainly not going to install Ubuntu over top my existing Fedora system. Would booting from a USB image be alright?

Quote:
If possible I recommend trying with a shorter/better quality USB cable, and/or a connection through a powered hub.
The cables I'm using are the ASUS OEM ones, and they are also the only 3.0 USB Micro cables I own.

I'll try with a powered hub, but I'm not sure what that will do me. Even if it did work, needing a second power socket would kinda suck; I was not anticipating needing a powered hub for this, especially considering I can plug in directly in Windows.

EDIT: Powered hub did not make a difference.

Quote:
You also mention that the monitors work with Windows. If you use another O/S, it's possible that a firmware package for the monitors is being changed upon connecting - and with these monitors it can take quite long (can be about 30 secs I think), and Linux driver does not show any notifications that this is happening.
Can you connect one of them and keep it connected for longer to be sure that the firmware image is fully flashed to it? The logo should appear for a moment, then the screen turns black during the update, then the logo should reappear for a moment and soon after this the driver should start displaying pixels. If this succeeds, try with the second screen.
I ensured that the flashing had completed (the monitor did exactly as described). No change.

Quote:
PS: Sorry for a delay, it's a holiday season and things are a bit slower than usual
Eh, slightly unhappy that things have been going slow, but all will be forgiven if we can get things to work.

Thanks for your assistance.

~RobertCochran

Last edited by RobertCochran; 08-18-2016 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Powered HUB made no difference
Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
sky4vip

Default confirm works in ubuntu

eom. will try to follow up later. similar holidays
sky4vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
RobertCochran

Installed Ubuntu 16.04.1 onto a spare HDD, then ensured packages were up to date. Everything worked fine with the latest DisplayLink driver release - all monitors turned on and I was able to achieve a full 3-headed spread.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
RobertCochran

I've updated my kernel to the provided 4.7.x series kernel and rebuilt evdi and libevdi from the git repo. I'm still unable to see any additional displays in my randr tools.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #9
RobertCochran

Rebuilt again from the latest evdi sources. Same kernel. Same lack of displays.

Are we making any progress on this?

Last edited by RobertCochran; 09-13-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
mlukaszek

We'll soon be releasing a new version of the driver for Ubuntu - maybe this will fix the problems you're seeing.

As a side note - please keep in mind that so far Ubuntu is the only distro we support and test, so with Fedora you're practically on your own - and while the community is great in helping maintain ports to other distros, variety of combinations of different components in the graphics stack may lead to some distinct problems, meaning it's possible things will not work equally well everywhere.

Cheers,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote