Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
lordsiris

Default Reply from Apple regarding Displaylink bug report

Here is the Apple reply regarding issues with Displaylink:

"Apple Developer Relations 30-Sep-2014 12:00 PM

Engineering has determined that this is an issue for a third party to resolve based on the following:

DisplayLink writes their own driver which communicates with their own chip in some displays. It’s not something Apple can fix.

We are now closing this bug report."

So Apple blames Displaylink and Displaylink blames Apple. Maybe they should both work for the Government...
lordsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
samson533

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsiris View Post
Here is the Apple reply regarding issues with Displaylink:

"Apple Developer Relations 30-Sep-2014 12:00 PM

Engineering has determined that this is an issue for a third party to resolve based on the following:

DisplayLink writes their own driver which communicates with their own chip in some displays. It’s not something Apple can fix.

We are now closing this bug report."

So Apple blames Displaylink and Displaylink blames Apple. Maybe they should both work for the Government...
So what does this mean . . . no one is going to try to fix the problem. They are just going to play the blame game and not work on a solution?
samson533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
lordsiris

I like to think that they are both working on solutions while blaming each other to buy time. But I also like to think that congress is useful and we don't have budget problems.
lordsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
D43m0n

I can't wait for this: http://www.vesa.org/news/vesa-brings...e-c-connector/...
D43m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
itadmincrbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson533 View Post
So what does this mean . . . no one is going to try to fix the problem. They are just going to play the blame game and not work on a solution?
Yep. Displaylink has always blamed Apple. It's a farce. My dock has never worked correctly, ever.
itadmincrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
christobald

Would be nice to hear more details about this from the Displaylink folks.

How do you know this is Apple's fault? What, specifically, makes you think the problem lies in their software and not yours? And what is Apple's response to that or those reasons?
christobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by christobald View Post
Would be nice to hear more details about this from the Displaylink folks.

How do you know this is Apple's fault? What, specifically, makes you think the problem lies in their software and not yours? And what is Apple's response to that or those reasons?
Hi Christobald and others,

We cannot get into these disputes mainly because the Apple Developer agreements we have signed clearly state that we cannot share any communication between us and Apple (something the first post in this thread is based around).

So this is going to be my last post on this subject I'm afraid.

If you are keen on getting an informed opinion on the subject there are two kind of tests possible without having to write any code:
1) Compare the same use case on 10.8 and 10.9 or later, can be hard for random issues
2) Use a USB or WiFi external screen based on different drivers

(2) Is likely going to be apples vs. oranges up to a point but most OS-related issues are the same.

As any product there are some issues in our court and we are thankful to anyone raising them.
We are also continuing to work on workarounds for the known OS issues and actually hope to be proven wrong about the root cause: it would mean we can do something about them!

As you've seen with the latest 2.3 beta we are actively developing on Mac: you can now connect up to 4 (four!) 4K screens to any Mac that can run 10.8. Who needs a Mac Pro? ;-)

Carlo - Over and out
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
christobald

OK, having signed an agreement that forbids you to quote them is a good reason not to.

Still a great product all in all, since there is no other way to connect another external monitor on my particular Mac.
christobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
itadmincrbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post

We cannot get into these disputes mainly because the Apple Developer agreements we have signed clearly state that we cannot share any communication between us and Apple (something the first post in this thread is based around).

So this is going to be my last post on this subject I'm afraid.

If you are keen on getting an informed opinion on the subject there are two kind of tests possible without having to write any code:
1) Compare the same use case on 10.8 and 10.9 or later, can be hard for random issues
2) Use a USB or WiFi external screen based on different drivers

(2) Is likely going to be apples vs. oranges up to a point but most OS-related issues are the same.

As any product there are some issues in our court and we are thankful to anyone raising them.
We are also continuing to work on workarounds for the known OS issues and actually hope to be proven wrong about the root cause: it would mean we can do something about them!

As you've seen with the latest 2.3 beta we are actively developing on Mac: you can now connect up to 4 (four!) 4K screens to any Mac that can run 10.8. Who needs a Mac Pro? ;-)

Carlo - Over and out
So Apple is allowed to communicate with your customers and lie to them, but you're not allowed to communicate at all about Apple lying to it's customers?
itadmincrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
paultzirides

Default Irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post

(Emphasis mine)

The previous statement is an example of what is wrong with the mindset of the DisplayLink software developers. I don't think it's a good idea to tout how effective your software is on an old operating system. Writing software against Windows XP doesn't get a developer a round of applause, no matter how innovative it is. Likewise, saying that you are "actively developing" for 10.8 leads me to believe that someone in a leadership position there has their priorities broken. 10.8 is an old OS. New Apple workstations will be sold with 10.10 or newer. They will not downgrade to 10.8. Devoting time and resources to develop for 10.8 is completely irresponsible.

You need to keep up with the times. Currently, it appears that DisplayLink is suffering from some sort of "change aversion", and the feeling of "It worked just fine using older software, why can't we just keep using that?" seems to be permeating the discussion.

The fact of the matter is that Apple has updated its operating system, and that has affected the way that the DisplayLink drivers interact with the OS. Whether they deprecated some APIs that DL was using, or DL was using private APIs it should never have been using is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that DL doesn't work as expected in 10.10.

What is the expected functionality, then, for 10.10? Is it a single DL-connected display? Is it multiple? What can we expect in terms of performance, display corruption, crashing?

Pointing fingers just won't do. This is your product, and as consumers of your product, seeing you shrug your shoulders and say "not our problem" is very upsetting. Adjust your attitude toward your customers, and give us clearer information please.

-Paul
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote