Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
ThePolarCat

Thumbs up 2.2 fixed the CPU overload issue for me

Finally, the 2.2 Driver fixed the CPU overload issue

I have three monitors connected to my MBP, two of which are connected using two Kingston USB 2.0 adapters -DisplayLink chip, the DisplayLinkManager process v2.1 on Mavericks was using at-least 56% of the CPU at all times slowing down the computer and keeping the fans running loudly.

With the 2.2 driver it's operating normally now -with the other known issues of-course.

Good job!
ThePolarCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
alphadog

I have sent in logs - still seeing CPU usage of unacceptable levels and only have one monitor connected via Dynadock. The other is connected via displayport - mainly so i can close the lid and not put the MBA to sleep.

I Hope you guys fix the CPU usage and other things.

Makes we want to go back to windows - Mac just can't handle multiple monitors well - even Thunderbolt is not a good solution.
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
I have sent in logs - still seeing CPU usage of unacceptable levels and only have one monitor connected via Dynadock. The other is connected via displayport - mainly so i can close the lid and not put the MBA to sleep.

I Hope you guys fix the CPU usage and other things.

Makes we want to go back to windows - Mac just can't handle multiple monitors well - even Thunderbolt is not a good solution.
Hi Alphadog,

The logs won't contain CPU usage.
Can you please find out how much CPU do DisplayLinkManager and DisplayLinkUserAgent use in the following cases:
- No DisplayLink devices connected
- One DisplayLink device connected, monitor active but no updates on the monitor
- One DisplayLink device connected, monitor active and full screen video running on the monitor (please state the resolution)

Cheers,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
alphadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi Alphadog,

The logs won't contain CPU usage.
Can you please find out how much CPU do DisplayLinkManager and DisplayLinkUserAgent use in the following cases:
- No DisplayLink devices connected
- One DisplayLink device connected, monitor active but no updates on the monitor
- One DisplayLink device connected, monitor active and full screen video running on the monitor (please state the resolution)

Cheers,
Carlo
laptop open, minidisplay monitor disconnected, dynadock connected:

- No display link devices connected - i did this last 0.0%
- One display link connected - nothing on monitor (menu icons only) 59.9%
- one display link connected - full screen video on monitor - about 62.5% - monitor is 1080P, This is with VLC. With iTunes, Displaymanager is 60%, but Windowmanager is also 60%. VLC video is 636 x 480, Itunes video 853 x 354

Plugging display link back in -

-one display with nothing on it other then menu bar. jumps back to 60%
Old 07-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
alphadog

Displaylink was at 90% CPU and Distnoted was at 120% this AM - i plugged my MBA into the Dynadock and this was the result. I disconnected everything and removed power from Dynadock and plugged it all back in now Displaymanager is running between 8 and 10% with content on the DL screen and MBA lid closed.

I hope you figure out how to make it do this all the time.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
ThePolarCat

On occasion -after the fix, the displaylinkmanager process uses 50 to 60 CPU on idle. What I do is I kill the process then it automatically restarts, the screens reconnects and the usage goes back to normal.

2 monitors connected via Kingston adapters
1 monitor connected to the display port.
3 x 1080 resolution.
ThePolarCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Carlo
Mac Team

Thank you for the information, it looks like we have an additional issue. I'm opening a bug with alphadog's information

Cheers,
Carlo
Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
alphadog

I wonder if wake from sleep is the culprit? Right now CPU usage for everything that causes problems is nice and low and has been since I did the above. I will leave activity monitor up and see if i can pinpoint what triggers the high CPU usage. Normally I only notice it when the fan starts running.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
jimmy927

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Displaylink was at 90% CPU and Distnoted was at 120% this AM - i plugged my MBA into the Dynadock and this was the result. I disconnected everything and removed power from Dynadock and plugged it all back in now Displaymanager is running between 8 and 10% with content on the DL screen and MBA lid closed.

I hope you figure out how to make it do this all the time.
I have the same issue.

Displaylink driver seems to trigger distnoted to use ~90% CPU.
Problem will persist until i disconnect the displaylink adapter and connect it again.

Same issue on my Displaylink at work and at home that are different models.
I think i have a DL-195 at work and a DL-3700 at home.
jimmy927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Carlo
Mac Team

The only reproduction we have so far is with Chrome and it notification icon triggering extremely frequent updates for unknown reasons.
Can you please report which applications are open when you see the issue? If you use Chrome can you try to hide its notification icon? (Chrome menu -> Hide Notifications Icon)

Cheers,
Carlo